Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks.. my insight never used to do this. Now when I accelerate in a gear then let off the gas... I get the herky jerky stop start motion like the car is stalling... but it doesn't. Like the herky jerky... basically... I'm wondering if something is wrong the the tranny or the IMA? Any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The EGR valve perhaps? There is officially a tech service bulletin on it now possibly causing engine hesitation and jerking. It's been discussed at length here not so long ago.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Not specifically that I know about, but if you go to the dealership it will be on their computers. You might look back a few months, maybe someone posted where it could be found.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it should be on the dealership computers? The egr valve thing? Because I think I made need to direct them to it. So have them look up a tech bulletin on egr valves and the insight?
thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes mention there is a tech service buliten (TSB) on the EGR valve and see if they think it could possibly be the problem. I think it says that it causes bucking and rough engine operation or something like that. It's somewhere to start anyways. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, if your outside warranty the EGR is going to be a little pricey.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Total cost of repair for mine was over $300. It also took the dealer a long long time to reproduce and diagnose, even though the first thing I mentioned when I first brought it in was the EGR valve. Honda engineers in Torrance eventually pointed them to that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok cool I'll be talking with the mechanic tomorrow and see what happens... the thing I find frustrating about them is that it seems that you have to convince them before they are willing to do the work, and if it means me having to test drive with the mech for 1 hour then that's what I'll do, but I just hate wasting my time like that...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've allready had my EGR valve replaced and its still "jerking" when in lean burn mode. I plan on ordering the http://www.autotap.com so that I can view whats goining on inside the engine.

I sorta think that the poor egr valve has caused carbon build up inside the head and spark plugs. Because now even after I remove and clean the EGR the "jerking" is still noticable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much is it for the auto thing you are going to order... it looks like an aswesome tool!

As a sidenote does anyone know the tsb for the egr valve? That would be very very useful to a lot fo people including me!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I blocked off the EGR valve using a piece off of a coke can. Blocked it off real nice. I took a 5 mile trip down the road turned around and about 2 more miles the check engine light came on. Not sure if it was realted or if it was because the car warmed up but the surging was still present.

CEL was for insuffecent (sp) flow on the EGR

BTW I pulled the sparkplugs that morning and they looked ok. I didn't have a GAP to measure them. I installed and torqued them down to specs. I think I'll replace them just to see if it makes a difference.

So is anyone else notice this surging while in lean burn?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
egr

Well.. I had my head gasket replaced... lol... and they cleaned the egr valve didnt' replace it which I think they should have... in any case it makes a mild herky jerky motion still.... not to bad ... still I'm wondering if I should push to have the egr valve replaced...

What irritates me more than anything else and I'll probably start a new thread on this is that the Honda dealer told me that because of the way the engine is designed that it will most likely leak a bit of oil off the passenger side of the engine where the timing belt is. I think that's bogus so I'm driving it around now and starting to see a bit of oil seapage... I thin that's ridiculous and will most likely make Honda give me a new engine as I think this one is faulty.

·
Registered
453 Posts
What did Honda do to the EGR distribution plate?

Its simple 10min job to clean or replace the EGR valve. Its the EGR plate thats more time consuming.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've found the proof that the cars is "jerking" with my OBDII software I can get very accurate RPM readings.
60mph in leanburn at or above 70mpg the car will jerk and the rpms will jump 10-20rpms.
At slower speeds and higher MPG the RPM change is 30-50.

This can't be good for the engine.... And sure doesn't help the engine to stay in leanburn.

Now if I only could find the cause. I've got the extended warranty but I don't trust the dealers.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Taking a wild stab in the dark here, have you checked your manifold pressure sensor? That was what seemed to be the problem Rich was having with his. Not sure if it would cause jerking, but worth a shot.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___I am posting this as second hand so forgive me if I am stating facts that may in fact be incorrect …

___Chisight had a problem with his 00’s Insight’s thermostat. He couldn’t get the mileage out of it he thought it should receive … The local Honda dealer just shrugged him off for not just months but I believe over a year or more. Finally with the OBD-II SW/HW for his laptop and the coolant temperature plot over many hours of recording in hand, he had hard evidence to show the dealership his own low temperature findings. In went the new thermostat. Unfortunately, the second thermostat installed had the same problem. It was a few more months before he received the third which has worked great ever since.

___This may not help you but with a known great running Insight’s plot and your own side by side displayed on your laptop, it may be hard enough evidence to get someone on the Honda side moving on the issue.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2wc4c9mp][email protected][/email:2wc4c9mp]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cakley :

Where did you get this tool your using for your engine?

EGR plate and egr valve its all greek to me? Where are these things in our cars?

I still get the herky jerky every now and again in 2nd gear though I shouldn't what I find is that the warmer the engine is the better it runs and I get this off and on..

I have found dealing with Honda quite frustrating.. its almost as I have to prove everything to then to get things done... kinda bugs me...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.