Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I currently own a Genesis 2.0T 2013.
When buying the car I hesitated between this and a 2011 CRZ.
Finally I have chosen the Genesis, my old car was a 2006 Civic EX and tranny broken down, so I decided to be on the sport side.
But since I love to optimise my expenses and consumption, I am looking again at the CRZ and obviously, the ZE1.
In Montreal, Canada, the ZE1 is super rare..I found a guy ready to sold it to me, it is clean but not perfect, the two major problems are the SRS light, and of course the IMA that would need a good cycling, not sure how much time it would last, I think the IMA is in pretty bad condition.

So based on this, should I go for a clean 2011 CRZ or a 2000 Insight with some work to do?Just wondering what you guys thinking about!

*Here a CRZ goes around 8K CAD and I think the insight might be around 5K with less than 120000 miles

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
You ultimately need to decide that for yourself. The CRZ mpg isn’t anything special. You can always travel to find a better specimen of car for your taste, considering roughly 14k were made. I’m sure you could find one. As far as battery? That’s a point that most of these will need replacing soon. The replacement ones they have last about 3 years according to the members that have spoken. You can always grid charge. It’s not hard to fit a charger and to discharge and charge. This makes them work a little better. I would personally take a ZE1 any day over a crz for many reasons: lightness, all aluminum body with some plastic, swap candidate for lion batteries or kswap. Either one is better than any Hyundai imho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, the point is they are so rare in my area (I mean all the Quebec) , that if I don`t pull the trigger I might never found another one in working conditions.
Are you aware of those SRS light problem? I have not seen alot of people with this problem on the insights, it might be a problem on this particular car... Can the IMA problem causes a SRS light to popup?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok. If you are looking for MPG the CRZ is not that car. You can do better. The ZE1 as rare as it is seems to be like stray dogs are. They come around and find you. If you are concerned with buying one local then yes, you may wait a long time.
SRS issue? Has car been in major accident? Have you run a car fax? It needs to be reset by the dealer...I think. The battery issue should be something you can bring the price down on. It’s probably for sale for those reasons. Also I would seriously look at all of the underside of car. How are the bushings? The rear subframe may have a lot of rust and this would indicate that the brake lines are corroded and may be ready to go. The trans mounts may be dryrotted. The tires may be worn. I would never pay five grand for an old car unless all of these issues were sorted out. Consider the facts here. If you are not doing your own work that car might cost you a lot to keep up with initially. At this point what have you really saved? Then the CRZ will look much more appealing. Whatever you do decide, a grid charger will definitely be a tool that will be useful. I would charge up the battery and the ima light will go away. You never mentioned the cat. Does that throw a code? May be something to consider. 2k 2500 all of a sudden is a price that seems fair if you have to fix all those things. I saw two citrus sold as a pair for 5k and one had 80 some k miles and the other 120k. Don’t buy something and pay top dollar just because there are none around. The car is a tool. If the tool needs a lot to be there is it really a tool?

·
Registered
451 Posts
CRZ has trash MPG considering the complexity of the hybrid system and all the amenities you give up - smaller car, little storage space, little power, etc. A Honda Civic or a newer Accord will deliver similar mileage (maybe better on the highway due to gearing).

If you want MPG, go for the G1 Insight, but realize that these cars are getting older and most will need maintenance performed on them, which is recommended to do it yourself since most dealerships and mechanics are unfamiliar with these cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, to be honest, I have not saw the car yet.
The owner answered to a message I have sent on the Insight G1 facebook page, the car is not officially for sale.
I will probaly go see it next weekend.
From what the owner told me, there is rust on the brake lines, SRS light and a weak IMA.
He will replace the clutch master cylinder this week. We talked tires yesterday and the cars roll on RE92 on good conditions, comes with VX wheels with winter tire too.
Thats what I'm scared of, to spend 3k on a 5k-ish car would not be profitable!
I will discuss the price once I have seen the car, tested and inspected it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a car guy, been repairing all my cars myself or with my friend's father. So repairing a couple of things is not a problem, I just dont want to buy a money pit when the first reason to buy this car is to save money on gaz :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so the car has a rebuilt title, the owner will give me the carfax. Well it does not seems as interesting as it was lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
if I don`t pull the trigger I might never found another one in working conditions.
Welcome!!!

Do consider that if it has IMA and SRS lights it is technically not in working condition. Also, you do not know what other problems lie behind that "check engine" light.
<EDIT> lol, I guess you posted about the salvage title while I was editing! That explains the SRS light!</EDIT>

This tells me, though, that you are a unique person and really want an equally unique car.

You should be aware that a lot of us turn our own wrenches. The previous owner of a car I just acquired spent half of what your proposed car costs on a half a dozen shop visits related to an overheating problem they never found the root cause of.

If you really want an Insight, then stick around and keep you eyes open, and the universe will eventually deliver one to you to fit your needs as it has to me, twice. (Also, look into importing one!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I might take into considerations importing one from the US. The major problem is to test drive it.
Time, money and again time and money to import :rolleyes::rolleyes:
All the money spent would be more than I'll save by buying it, I guess.. I never imported a car before!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Because of how old these cars are and how little value is placed on them by insurance companies, even small things like a cracked bumper or broken windshield may total these cars and force them to get a rebuilt title.

IMA failing shouldn't be a big concern, unless you absolutely want it. The IMA battery mostly helps with acceleration and improving economy in stop-n-go traffic with lots of braking. Otherwise it's mostly just along for the ride. Bypassing it makes the car slow, but it also gives you the option to double your rear storage space if you delete the whole IMA system from the rear and rebuild the rear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok so the car has a rebuilt title, the owner will give me the carfax. Well it does not seems as interesting as it was lol
There’s your answer right there. RED FLAG!!!! Replacing brake lines on my car...well, I have them, is a lot of work. Car isn’t worth anything. Steer clear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The SRS light is on for a reason. There are plenty of cheap cars for sale that you can find. Replacing the cat, bushings, battery or grid charge even , tires, etc but salvage? Forget about any resale value.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why don’t you import a fiat coupé? I would but have to wait a few more years. 😔 you can always import from Japan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IF I would import from Japan I would import an AZ1, but that is another story lol :p

Yeah I'm disapointed about the salvage title, I was thinking that even if I need to put some time and money on repairs, the car would be rare enough in a couple of years to hold on a bit of value.. But now, I think ill pass :/

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honestly though, can’t you drop down stateside? If it’s a big deal consider going to Toronto. I saw several for sale last visit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can go in the US! I'm maybe 40 mins from the borders! I can go to Vermont if necessary, but I dont know if there are insights for sale around here :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well just received a new message from a guy with a clean citrus one with 120 000km on it, 7k$ firm.
Seems like there is still some insight for sale around me :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
9 Participants
Pierromcdo
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing