Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
7k$ CAD yes, Is it a good deal? I mean, if everything is clean, he told me he just replace the battery pack at a Honda dealership.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Although I missed on two for that price all the way in Alberta on and island close to Vancouver. If I would have found somebody to go with me on the other one I would’ve taken a trip there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have messaged the red insight in Vermont too,in case the citrus one change his mind.
But I have to keep in mind that I will need to get it inspected in QC. So there is taxes to pay, based on the car value, the price of QC inspection and all the repair that will need to be done. He told me its a 7k firm but I might be able to negociate a couple hundreds.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hybrid battery is always a trouble spot with an used Hybrid vehicle.

What's good is MPG when you have to replace a $2000 hybrid battery shortly after buying hybrid car? Keep in mind that the replacement hybrid battery is only as good as its warranty.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Saxjone;
The pic of the FCD doesn't "compute" to me. (of the one for sale you referenced)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I lived a couple of years in Montreal, well really Ville St. Laurent, and remember well the streets coated with rock salt in winter. Pleins de neige, aussi. If you can get a car from outside of Quebec and even Canada because of the salt. You are better off getting a well-running car without rust. And if it were mine it would be in a heated garage and up on jack stands for the winter. In spring a good run up to Chicoutimi in the sunshine will make it all worthwhile. Bonne route.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I now have a couple of prospect in Ottawa and Vermont. But I need to check the regulations and price for importing a 15 yrs+ car. Dont know if its big or small money!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
CRZ= steel chassis = it'll rust out and the MPG is teh same as the civic hybrid. Don't bother.

Also I have 6 years on my battery at this point, and it might be original to the car. Grid charging and discharging makes a huge, huge difference.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Grid charging, yes! My G1 has a three year old Bumble Bee. It was a little weak so I did the complete cycle a month ago and itis truly like having a new car. I get a better assist from the IMA, it charges quicker and as a result the car has more power.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Willie, the details are not one hundred percent clear however there were two citrus last year or so for sale on an island next to Vancouver. I can not remember the exact asking amount but it was like 5k usd and the klicks on each were pretty low. I remember the translation being like 84-6k miles and over 120 on the other. Gentleman only would sell as a pair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I found a 2001 Insight with 290km (180M), clean body, good battery, summer tire on vx wheels + Winter tires on 13 inch wheels for 1100$CAD
There is some thing to do, the clutch is a quite high, second grind on downshift, the brakes are finished and some interior parts broken/missing. Nothing too major considering the price!
I think I will pull the trigger :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, that’s cheap. Please keep the number of the citrus. If I come in to some money I’ll drive up there. Too bad you aren’t going to the Insight meet in Ohio. That car, if you’re willing to wrench on it, will be just fine. Get a grid charger and roll up your sleeves. I recommend going over it with a fine tooth comb. The grinding is no big deal. You can always pull it and rebuild it or swap a civic like @tryingbe did. It doesn’t matter. It’s not a big deal for anything if body is straight. These cars are tight but super easy to work on. This front brakes I would blow apart and rebuild. Very easy to do. It’s possibly (likely) that the pistons have pitting but brake jobs are super easy. Wrench on that yourself. You’ll be glad you did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another place to look for used cars is Facebook. It is apparently becoming pretty popular. I just searched Insight and found numerous Gen 1's for sale by owner within a couple of hours. Dealers were also selling the newer versions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This car right here came from Facebook insight page and market place are really good. I found a lot of insights for sale a state over but ultimately found two. Also there are two new hot programs on phone. OfferUp and letgo. This carhad an alpine and like new tires. I bought a car battery and exhaust donut.180k miles and have put 16k in short of a year. 100 mile daily drive weekdays. I paid scrap price for this. I recently replaced the temp sensor and cleaned the egr plate, bumped up from 48mpg to 60 and a solid 53-4 mpg on highway. I think I could squeeze a bit more. Cvt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bought the car :) I will probly rebuild the tranny ( clutch pretty high and noisy), change a couple of bushings, fix the exhaust, change the front brakes and replace the trip and mph button switches lol. Need to replace a couple of interior parts too so if anyone as some for sale here! I think it will cost me roughly 2000$ for all the repairs. So a 3k$ for a good conditon Insight seems right to me. The battery is excellent, the seller told me he cycled replaced the weak batteries in the pack with his father who is the previous owner.
You can see that someone cutted the dash for some obscure reasons where the radio is ..lol.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
9 Participants
Pierromcdo
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing