Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In quotes because it's still amazing compared to pretty much anything else (except a Prius).

I bought my 2000 Insight used with about 30,000 on the clock. LMPG then was around 55. Since then I average pretty consistently 45 mpg. What?!? you say...The horror?!?! - Ah, but...

a) I live in Seattle. Hills.

b) I don't commute. Minimal freeway time.

c) Most of my driving is relatively short 2-10 mile stoplight-to-stoplight around town.

At present I'm not so much interested in milking an extra mile or two per gallon out of it, and would rather be quick and not in people's way (though I know full throttle is the most efficient acceleration technique anyway). I'm actually looking forward to the day I can replace the wooden, pavement-seam-hopping stock tires with something a little stickier and if I lose an mpg or two, so what? I can still flip the (metaphorical, 'cause I don't want to get shot at) bird to all the SUVs and big boats out there.

All this is not to say I wouldn't like to get 70 (which I do get on the freeway), 80, 90, 325 or whatever people are getting these days, but I just plain don't have the opportunity so I ain't gonna feel bad about it.

Any time I do travel long distance it's on a motorcycle. What's amusing is that the Insight gets better MPG than either of my bikes, and has less horsepower than either of them. But the bikes are a lot more fun, 'cept when it's snowing or something.

- Bob
(Forced to not stress out about his low mpg)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The full throttle acceleration theory has been debunked... Best way is to drive like a grandma, and stay out of assist as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not exactly debunked.

But it won't work with a CVT. Its upshift "equivalent" response isn't aggressive enough.

The overall gain will be relatively small and difficult to discern. The biggest (small) gain will be in the "city" drive cycle. And the cost in gallons saved vs. the increases in tires, clutch and IMA battery pack wear IMO will not be offset.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I agree.

How do you think Granny got to live so long in the first place!? :)

When driving the "Silver Bullet", it's me and humility - all the way.

Besides, the Insight is too little to "argue" with the big guys that are out there.

Hope this helps.

Fred

The full throttle acceleration theory has been debunked... Best way is to drive like a grandma, and stay out of assist as much as possible.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did a run from Chicago to St Louis last Friday, just under 300 miles. On the way down I carried an additional ~120 lbs of computers. For the trip down I got just over 60 mpg. I'm a leadfoot, but I've got the cardboard radiator block in place.

On the way back I was carrying an additional ~160 lbs (older heavier computers) and I got 75+mpg for the first 50 miles. I was tired and didnt want to get back after midnight, so I stuck around 80-85 mph for the rest of the trip. Averaged out to 57ish.

Yeah, I'll stick with the blue demon for a while. She's tiny, but she's worth it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 2006 CVT mileage is adequate. I am not thrilled with it, but it will do. I was talking to a friend who has a Prius and he said our mileage is lower than what you hear online because we live in a very hilly area. That totally made sense to me! Last weekend I drove up to the mountains- on the way up i drove 65-70mph and got 44 mpg, on the way home i was lost and running really late for a baby shower and drove 80-85mph on the way home (go Insight go!) and got 47-48mpg. Must have been all downhill :D
I have driven on a flat highway once and did average almost 70mpg, so I am now jealous of flatlanders. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts