Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had been my idea that the Insight could only get real good MPG at 65 and under. I've been able to get low-to-mid 50's driving from 55 to 65 on rural back roads.

I sort of proved myself wrong yesterday.

I had to drive down to Charleston to pick up the old lady and I set the cruise at 70 MPH and just sat back and observed the calculated MPG gauge and the battery screen.

The wife normally drives this 50 mile route every day and I notice she's perpetually stuck at about 43 (calculated) MPG so I wondered how much higher I could get it than her.

By the time I rolled into the parking lot to pick her up I was at 49.9 (calculated) MPG.

I told her what happened and showed her the screen but she told me she's normally running late, hence the 43 MPG thing.

This is one case where leaving early can literally save you money.

·
Registered
649 Posts
its rare when i get to 50 mpg per trip when driving on the freeway
going 70 just makes it worse for me, i gotta go slower :mad:

and cruise just ruins it more when im driving on hills

·
Registered
389 Posts
Driving over 70+ will result in a low MPG. I usually need to drive 70+ mph on a long trip. I've been getting only 38-40 mpg when driving 70+ mph. If you're willing to drive slow and take more time, of course it will result in better mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do 85% Highway driving and I am averaging 51MPG. That includes about 35% of my driving in bumper to bumper traffic. Its all about pulsing the accelerator! I don't use Cruise and I use the IMA quite a bit. If its smooth sailing I lift off the throttle and feather it back on and go on the battery until I feel the car losing momentum then I pulse the throttle back up to where the ICE is telling me 2 bars over 50 until I get to speed or a hill (or behind a truck!) and go back on the IMA.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what did you get on the return trip?
Who, me? I don't remember.

Cruise on the Insight is terrific, I suspect the CR-Z too. Probably has a lot to do with the CVT.

If you turn ECON off it won't budge 2 MPH from where it was even if you hit a big hill. Otherwise, w/o hills, ECON on and it still pretty much stays on-point.

I've driven cars in the past where certain situations made cruise effectively useless. So to me, that's awesome.

The only thing I can do better than cruise is milking momentum - cruise can't do that.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
When it coms to aerodynamics, twice the speed = 4 times the wind resistance, its not alinear relationship. Blocking the grill and some lowering will allow you to cruse at 70 and break 52mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just drove my wife to the Philly airport, a round trip of 84 miles on I-95. The car has 6,000 miles. The car got 61.1 mpg. This is a heavily traveled road with traffic at 65+ mph. Normally, I get 43 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Highway mileage

Prior to a 200 miles roundtrip to Dickinson, ND from Bismarck, ND the car showed about 58 mpg- appr 45 miles of driving in town hills/ downhills and coasting as much as I could.. That 58ish went down to about 53 by the time we managed the first half of our trip (100miles there). I used the cruise at 68-70mph and let it fight the hills (most is half-3/4 mile long steady uphills at 4-5% grade). On the way back (losing 800 feet elevation) we drove into headwind and the gauge went further down to 49 mpg. I know I'm able to bring it back above 50 by the time this tank empties.. This car with it's tiny engine can't really handle the 70mph with cruise control when the trip includes uphills. After the first fill up a week ago the computer indicated about 51mpg for 450 miles but I managed to fill only 9.3 gallons of gas only in the car and that's exactly 48.9mpg (including another 200miles roundtrip to and from Dickinson, ND from Bismarck ND with occasional heavy winds..
I sure am satisfied with this car so far but I would be curious what would a Prius' computer show (or me calculate) after the same trips..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well I use the cruise with Econ on and I live in Pittsburgh. With the hills around here the cruise has a very slow reaction and I as much as 5 mph before the system decides to give it more gas and/or assist from the electric motor. At times I am tempted to turn off the Econ but then I say forget it. I get about 46 mpg in the summer and 40 mpg in the winter on my commute.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Blocking the grill and some lowering will allow you to cruse at 70 and break 52mpg.

Id like to experiment with grill blocking for the winter. What portions of the upper and lower grill do you block?

Anyway, back on topic, I typically get between 48-52 MPG on the highway; without really trying.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I have it completely blocked and added a bottle of water wetter.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
605 Posts
Prior to a 200 miles roundtrip to Dickinson, ND from Bismarck, ND the car showed about 58 mpg- appr 45 miles of driving in town hills/ downhills and coasting as much as I could.. That 58ish went down to about 53 by the time we managed the first half of our trip (100miles there). I used the cruise at 68-70mph and let it fight the hills (most is half-3/4 mile long steady uphills at 4-5% grade). On the way back (losing 800 feet elevation) we drove into headwind and the gauge went further down to 49 mpg. I know I'm able to bring it back above 50 by the time this tank empties.. This car with it's tiny engine can't really handle the 70mph with cruise control when the trip includes uphills. After the first fill up a week ago the computer indicated about 51mpg for 450 miles but I managed to fill only 9.3 gallons of gas only in the car and that's exactly 48.9mpg (including another 200miles roundtrip to and from Dickinson, ND from Bismarck ND with occasional heavy winds..
I sure am satisfied with this car so far but I would be curious what would a Prius' computer show (or me calculate) after the same trips..
I suspect the Prius calculated mpg would be a little lower. I think this because the Prius is designed to get its best mpg's at low speeds - 10 -20 mph. Our I2's do best in the low 30's to high 40's mph. Also you'll feel safer with the I2's better handling.

I get similar highway mpg as you've described above. I think wind made a big mpg difference on your trip above. A tail wind gave you a falsely high number, the head wind falsely low. The calculated 48.9 for the tankfull is my "real" number. BTW the car computer averages just under 3mpg optimistic than a "real" calculated mpg figure.

FYI You can see some of the trends in mpg numbers at my Fuelly record at Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly What the record calls "City" is mostly hilly rural/suburban driving in the 30-50 mph range. "Highway" is about half 2 lane roads at around 60 mph and half 4 lane highways at 70 mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts