Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may be looking at a 2000 5sp insight in my area, priced at $5500/bo and
w/118k miles. what are the service/repair issues with this many miles, and at what cost? for example, a honda dealers told me $1400 for a completely new clutch. would i be better staying away from a hi mieage insight?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A new clutch should cost half that.
Phone another honda dealer to confirm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i don't know if it needs a clutch, the price was an example given to me. greater concern is value for the dollar and concerns with this many miles. will it run for 300k no problem, etc?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It's hard to predict the longevity. It depends largely on how well it has been maintained. My previous Honda CRX was at 502,000 miles when I sold it. Your best indicator may be to find out the LMPG of the car in question. The higher it is, the more careful it may have been driven. Billy....

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
rwh63 said:
<snip>

what are the service/repair issues with this many miles, and at what cost?

<snip>

The IMA battery pack would be my greatest concern. With the updated controllers (if needed) the cost could approach $4,000. No way to test them either. They've either already been replaced as evidenced by the maintenance record or not. Its not unreasonable to expect 150,000 miles as a service life, but they won't last forever.

Also the Insight is designed as a HIGH MPG car. The lack of steel sleeves in the engine is not as forgiving of lack of maintenance or "sport" driving. The LMPG indicator _may_ give a good indication of how the car was driven. Maintenance _records_ will tell the rest of the story.

In general your better staying away from high mileage cars as a whole. But it doesn't mean you can't get good value when purchasing one. Have it checked out by a local trusted mechanic *BEFORE* you decide to buy.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Take John's advice and get it checked out. I have 112K on mine and I wouldn't sell it for 5500. It hasn't had to go to the dealer yet except for a recall on the low beams. I have a 94 Civic VX (uses the 1.5L Vtec-E) with 250K that runs fine as well. The bigest question is when will the battery go. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did speak to the original female owner. she told me: mostly highway driving, all maintenance done on schedule up to 105k at honda dealers, spare set of snows. i don't know about the lmpg(can that be manipulated?). one potential negative she told me about was some underbody damage, maybe including a bend in the radiator, due to living for a time on a pot-holed dirt road. i don't know exactly what she's talking about. she's bringing it in to a dealer friday for a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection to show potential buyers, something owners rarely do esp. if they are hiding things.

my concern is, what is likely to need replacing from 120k onward, and what costs are involved- rotors, timing belt, h20 pump, clutch, cv shafts, etc?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
rwh63 said:
<snip>

she's bringing it in to a dealer friday for a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection to show potential buyers, something owners rarely do esp. if they are hiding things.

my concern is, what is likely to need replacing from 120k onward, and what costs are involved- rotors, timing belt, h20 pump, clutch, cv shafts, etc?

NOT the same as you having YOUR mechanic check it out. If I have to 'splain it you ya you won't understand <g>.

All the other items you list are much closer to need of replacement than if the car was younger given the same driving style and conditions. Except no timing belt, its a chain without a standard replacement interval. Costs for "standard" items are comparable to other Hondas. All are small potatoes (low cost) compared to the IMA battery pack.

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts