Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Liz I'm 29 and I live in southwestern Ohio. I just bought a used 2010 insight ex on Sunday and I already love the mpg. It was a honda certified 1 owner car with 23k miles on it and it's my first grown up car. :) I feel very smug about driving a hybrid lol. Anyways I was wondering, my boyfriend and I are taking a trip to alton il this weekend and I just wanted to know how comfortable this car would be on a six hour drive...or should we take the yaris...lol not that it is any more plush...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Congrats on your car and welcome to the forum! While I actually own a Gen1 Insight so can't comment from personal experiance I do read the post from the Gen2 forum and keep up with all the threads and comments. From what I read you are going to love this car and should take it on the trip. I think it will beat the Yaris hands down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome guys! I'm a noobie too - from Minneapolis. I've only had my silver 2004 CVT (automatic) Insight for a couple weeks. My opinion? Hells ya I'd drive that new-to-you Insight! Should be no worries with the car being Honda certified. This would be the kind of christening road trip where you'd come up with a good nickname for you new car!
Sincerely, John

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My wife & I took the Insight on our last short trip. I guess it was about 4-5 hours. I found it quite comfortable and, unlike our larger more lux car that was available, had an ipod connection. We told ourselves we were taking it to save fuel but actually drove like a bat out of hell. It turned out that it was a wise move as it rained most of the way and the Insight is the newer car and had a nice windshield & fresh blades. It also helped that it had just received new Michelin tires. Taking it anywhere with the stock Dunlops was painful.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i do a bi-annual TX to NY run (24 hours straight) and i don't have any problems other than a mildly sleepy right butt check that responds well to punching

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My wife & I took the Insight on our last short trip. I guess it was about 4-5 hours. I found it quite comfortable and, unlike our larger more lux car that was available, had an ipod connection. We told ourselves we were taking it to save fuel but actually drove like a bat out of hell. It turned out that it was a wise move as it rained most of the way and the Insight is the newer car and had a nice windshield & fresh blades. It also helped that it had just received new Michelin tires. Taking it anywhere with the stock Dunlops was painful.

Yeah I noticed that it really has a weird feel with these tires. I think once they wear out I'll get some really nice ones. It takes both hands to drive...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely take the Insight. Quite comfortable in the front seats and fun to drive as well.
yeah, I've noticed I pay more attention to actually driving when I drive this car...The yaris handles really well but since I'm driving the whole way there, (he works nights and will be sleeping) I need something to keep me awake. Driving the yaris is pretty dull.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. :) Ive drove the Yaris sedan and 3 door hatch back. The Insight will win hands down for many catagories. I like the fact the engine revs soo low and the cvt rises to the need when the grades start to pick up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi there! I am Stella and I am also new to the site. I own a used Insight which I just got 3 weeks ago. Finally I am a part of your forum. :)
Welcome Stella, too! If you get a chance, post a picture of your Insight. We're all interested in the various models and colors as well as details such as mileage, condition, and mods if any.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
So how did you like it compared to the Yaris? Enquiring minds want to know, and 44 MPG at that speed is pretty good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Stella and welcome!

I'm also thinking about taking my Insight for a trip to Germany this summer (4-5 hour drive) and the Dunlops are definitely a turnoff. They're most uncomfortable in the French suburbans where the roads are bad and I can feel every single bump. I've done highways a few times and was very satisfied with the comfort. It feels amazing and goes so fast once you learn how to pilot this thing!

Also, this winter I averaged a nice 55mpg on 4 fuel-ups. Snow and everything!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So how did you like it compared to the Yaris? Enquiring minds want to know, and 44 MPG at that speed is pretty good.
On the way home we got 50.4 mpg!... My boyfriend drove though and didn't use the cruise control...and it was a much warmer day. I'm lazy though, on a long drive like that you bet your bippy im using cc...

as compared to the yaris... I didn't hit my head nearly as much in the insight, but the yaris has better quality speakers...

Comfort wise i think it was more roomy, and the seats are more comphy....

But I can drive the yaris with one hand... the insight was trying to go all over the road. Maybe when I get new tires it will be better. But these are staying on til they are crap...tires are expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the way home we got 50.4 mpg!... My boyfriend drove though and didn't use the cruise control...and it was a much warmer day. I'm lazy though, on a long drive like that you bet your bippy im using cc...

as compared to the yaris... I didn't hit my head nearly as much in the insight, but the yaris has better quality speakers...

Comfort wise i think it was more roomy, and the seats are more comphy....

But I can drive the yaris with one hand... the insight was trying to go all over the road. Maybe when I get new tires it will be better. But these are staying on til they are crap...tires are expensive.
did your boyfriend hyper-mill? what type of gas do you put in the insight?
did you have many baggage? who is the quieter car the yaris or insight?

thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
And good tires are even more expensive. But all Hondas benefit from having really good tires. Our Insight was a night and day different experience with good tires. The oem tires on the 2010 & 2011 were (are) crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
EafinAnnie
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing