Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left light will "flick" when my car came out from auto stop mode or when the car sit at idle. I have new HID blub put in and swap my ballast from left to right. My left light still doing the same. It only happen when car came back from the bodyshop( new hood ,new bumper etc). They did took out both headlights. Im thinking could it be grounding issue? Cause it does that when car change from discharging to charging stage.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Maybe the lead got damaged? Any chance you could measure the voltage over the H11 plug while it is in operation?

Do the HIDs shine less bright when you key off? They should not, as the ballasts will stabilize the voltage on the HID even if the input drops.
But if you have a bad lead it cannot pull enough amps if the voltage drops.

If your left HID gets less bright when you key off (and the right one stays as bright as it was) then somewhere in the lead to the left lamp you will have a problem. The bad spot may be hot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for the brightness is the same with key on or key off. I'm work can't do much now..I will get more info when. I get off from work.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If it does not (even) flick when you key off, but does when the Insight is swapping EV modes, then probably the IMA system is causing some kind of spike or radio signal that confuses the ballast electronics?
Then the ballast may need a tin foil hat :) or maybe a small condenser on the lead.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
+1 on a grounding issue. A ground may not be in place where it was or making as good contact. Did you use a relay kit for your HIDs or are they connected to the old light plugs?

I had an accident that damaged a lamp and that bulb would flicker. Replaced bulb that looked undamaged and problem solved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on a grounding issue. A ground may not be in place where it was or making as good contact. Did you use a relay kit for your HIDs or are they connected to the old light plugs?

I had an accident that damaged a lamp and that bulb would flicker. Replaced bulb that looked undamaged and problem solved.
Yes, it does have relay on it. It was fine before the accident. New bulb is in and swap my ballast too. The left is still does it. So this lead to a grounding problem.

When I said" flick" doesnt mean it goes ON and OFF. It is like when you shine a light thu a water bottle. It get " wobble". New bulb and the bulb sit well into the light holder, no play.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
When you say left, you mean passenger side? :confused: It should have a ground from the front engine mount by the belts to the fender.

If you mean driver side it should have a grounding bolt on the fender by the battery with 3-4 leads going to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say left, you mean passenger side? :confused: It should have a ground from the front engine mount by the belts to the fender.

If you mean driver side it should have a grounding bolt on the fender by the battery with 3-4 leads going to it.
Left mean driver side. I'm going to take out my HID and put back stock bulb, see does it change anything. Cause the light out put got weaker, i think...or just in my head. :(

Took my car in for first free oil change on Monday at Honda, it came out with paper work saying" synthetic blend oil". I drove back in ask about is it 0-20 that they put in and spoke to the supervisor and he said" yes". It got me nervous cause it didn't say 0-20 oil on the paper work. :-?:-?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think all new cars now days are 0w20. Ive also seen full synthetic and blended synthetic 0w20 oils. :confused: I thought only true synthetic oil could reach a 0 weight? :confused:

Yeah, high voltage is funny some times. Did you ground the relay kit right to the battery? If they painted your car there is a chance they put it in a large oven and the heat could of screwed up those Chinese made parts most HID kits use.

My experience trying to go HID on my sidekick has resulted in me buying 3 different hid kits. For what ever reason I cant get the bi kit that uses an HID bulb and a halogen bulb to light up the halogen bulb. I have 2 kits that will leave the HID bulb lit then the halogen bulb is suppose to light on high beams.

The 3rd kit the hid bulb just gets an inch shorter when you hit high beams. Problem is the reflectors in the kick are designed for the bulb to move left/right not in and out for low vs high beam. So the only way it would work is to use a kit with a bulb that toggles sideways or uses 2 bulbs and alternated which one is lit kind of like the oem halogen bulb.

Luckily the HID that restracts and extends does make a noticable enough different when I hit the flash to pass feature that people tell I am signaling. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found something new last night, it will starting "flicking" when my Asst needle pass 1/3. So if I stay cursing it will be fine, but one I step on the gas paddle and require the battery motor power then my left HID will start flicking...wired. I might try to buy another set of HID in near future, just to see does it made any different.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Im guessing you got the older magnetic style ballasts vs the slimer electronic sold state ones? Then when the ima system whirls or powers up or causes a problem with the light holding an arc?

I have mines up on the fender rails tucked under the fender panel skin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what kind of ballasts I have, but let me try to put my ballasts other place, see does it make a different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts