Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record here, but PICTURES PLEASE!

It's not that hard folks.

1. At night, find a wall perpendicular to your car.
2. Park your car approximately 25 feet away from it.
3. Get out of your car and stand to the left of the driver's side headlight.
4. For best results, have your camera focus and expose for the brightest spot your headlights generate on the wall*. Then, take a few pictures.
5. Post your best photo to this thread.

*With most smartphones you can do this by tapping the screen on the spot in question.
Not only that, but do an A B comparison between normal halogens. I'll bet money they don't go as far.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Very informative thread.
I already made the mistake of putting cheap ebay H4 replacement LEDs in my car, and the light pattern is pretty bad, lots of glare and throw isn't particularly good either. The lenses are as polished as I can get them so I think it's the problem of the LED having too large an area of light source to focus.

Has anyone looked at retrofittable "mini projectors", these appear to be installable from the rear of the lens as you would a normal bulb, no modification of the stock lens needed. Slightly more expensive than the basic bulb type but would be well worth it if it produces a proper beam pattern.

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-LED-Mini-Projector-Lens-High-Low-Bulbs-Headlight-Headlamp-Kit-70W-16000LM/163581558958?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140328180637&meid=a9f5f962a275436aa971a68096d9cbb7&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=283146633311&itm=163581558958&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
Hard no.

Interesting concept though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hm, I don't recall my low beams having that much glare above the cutoff. There seemed to be a more distinct difference between low and high beams. I could be wrong though...I'll have to check when I get my picture. Are you running S-HCR or S-HCR "Newest"? How clean are your headlight housings?

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
ADDvanced said:
Of what? I posted pics of the HIDs when I installed them.
And when you did I very nicely asked to take a better photo.
Bull Dog said:
ADDvanced, your car is too close to the garage door to make any meaningful determination of light scatter. By any chance can you take a photo of the light pattern with the car 25 feet away from a vertical surface?
Your response to this request was meaningless gibberish. Are you afraid of something?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hm, I don't recall my low beams having that much glare above the cutoff. There seemed to be a more distinct difference between low and high beams. I could be wrong though...I'll have to check when I get my picture. Are you running S-HCR or S-HCR "Newest"? How clean are your headlight housings?
The headlight housings are pretty clear. I used the "Sweet Project Cars" method with a buffer and Mother's Aluminum and Chrome Polish followed by 303 UV protectant. They could use a damp wipe. But they are not fogged up. Factor in the curb in the photos.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
And when you did I very nicely asked to take a better photo.

Your response to this request was meaningless gibberish. Are you afraid of something?
What do you mean better? They're not any different from your LED photos.

Why won't you do an A B comparison to show how far the light goes? Afraid of something?

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
Now kids, let's play together politely.

·
Super Moderator
1,596 Posts
ADDvanced,

I’ve edited your above post for language. This won’t be tolerated.

You seem to consider yourself some type of lighting expert. The original poster of this thread has asked you or anyone to post pictures of the cutoff pattern of your lights for comparison. If you can’t do it or post a link to your pictures, please stay out of the thread.

Future posts from you with foul or derogatory language will not be tolerated.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone with any upgrades post pictures behind the headlight housing? This is also important along with beam pattern. Did anyone manage to add led bulbs without removing the rubber covers that go behind the headlight housing?

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Can anyone with any upgrades post pictures behind the headlight housing? This is also important along with beam pattern. Did anyone manage to add led bulbs without removing the rubber covers that go behind the headlight housing?
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but pictures of my LED Projecter retrofit can be found in my thread here.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The rubber covers needed to be adapted to the bulbs I mentioned a couple of pages back. I simply took an Exacto® knife and cut about 1/2" of the narrower center section away, plus I also cut a small line on the lowest part of the cover (between the two drainage tubes) so the wire would fit. The rubber covers nicely grasp the larger base of the bulb and the cut guides the wire out with no issue. I simply plugged the pigtail into the original wiring, and... Voilá, much better light in the darkness for me. :grin:

Disclaimer: I very very seldom drive my Insight in the rain anymore, although I am not the least bit concerned about moisture getting into the headlight housing the way it sits right now...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rubber Covers

Sam, RAINSUX, was kind enough to install the LED headlights in my Insight. He surmised the rubber covers would be unneeded. The LED manufacturer says these LED's work underwater. I do not know if they do work underwater but they work just fine without the rubber covers out here on the very, very rainy coast of Oregon. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you kalmar.

Interesting product, but I see some things that would give me cause for concern.

You would need to remove the glare shield from the Insight headlight. That's the thing that partially covers the bulb. To do it properly, i.e. reversibly, it would still be necessary to almost completely disassemble the headlights to get to the screw that holds the glare shield in place.

The sales pages for these bulbs seem to conveniently gloss over this detail.
That's a very good point, which I hadn't considered. So it's a full disassemble anyway, in which case putting in proper bi-LEDs with shroud would be the sensible way.

Still curious to know how well the mini-projector would work, but you're probably right about the thermal management or lack of it.

For what it's worth here is what the "H4 replacement" LED bulb looked like:

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK after the bad experience with the H4 replacement type LEDs, I have been slowly replacing all other bulbs on the car with what I hope are reasonable quality LEDs.

I have also gone against the advice above (sorry) and installed a pair of the "mini projector" LED units. Because they were cheap-ish, didn't look difficult to install and will be possible to return to stock if I have to.

They are exactly like the ones shown in the video and link above and install through the bulb hole. As Bull Dog mentioned, you do still need to disassemble the headlight to remove the glare shield. However this turned out not too bad. I drilled a hole in the back of the headlight unit and took out the screw holding the shield in place first, so then with it heated up I just peeled the lens open by about 2", grabbed the shield and closed it straight back up.

The cut-off line is very crisp and there isn't really any glare at all, less even than the Halogens. I did have to adjust the bulb angle anti-clockwise a bit on both sides. There is a slotted adjustment for this on the bulb adaptor plate, but I needed a fraction more adjustment. This was easy to do with a small drill bit, the metal of the adaptor is just a zinc casting so quite soft.

I'm impressed with the light output and the cut-off. Reliability remains to be seen, but at least on low-beam the heatsink only gets slightly warm.

The two reasons for doing this were 1) reduce the current draw - my EV conversion only has a small DC-DC and I didn't want to upgrade it, and 2) get the white light colour that my eyes are now used to. Boxes ticked, I will post a pic of the light pattern later.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
You should post pics of the throw distance, before and after.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts