Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
do yall run any bulbs that you can just pop in with no modification that are an improvement to the stock light output with less energy usage?
I ran HID projectors for several years and really liked them, but they were decidedly not drop-in. You need to bake the housings, pry them open, and attach the projectors to the inside of the housing. The results are great but it's not quick or easy.

After recently having my headlights damaged and replacing them, I decided to give H4 LEDs a try - which are drop-in and require no modification.

Are they as good as HIDs in projectors? Definitely not. Better than halogens? Arguably not worse, at least. There's a hair more light scatter but I feel it's a very acceptable amount. Energy use is around 1/3 that of the original halogens and around 1/2 of the HIDs I had. Light output is probably overall a little better than halogens, but the hot spots moved from just below the cutoff to a lower point, so visibility isn't much better. The cutoff is still pretty clean though, visibility is no worse, and it does save some watts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hm, I don't recall my low beams having that much glare above the cutoff. There seemed to be a more distinct difference between low and high beams. I could be wrong though...I'll have to check when I get my picture. Are you running S-HCR or S-HCR "Newest"? How clean are your headlight housings?
I am tired of the headlight glare from the HID style and the low beams aimed where the high beam are on car/suvs, back in Mass. we had inspections and headlights were adjusted. I haven't seen that in 30 years

41 - 43 of 43 Posts