Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up to the sight of my Insight encased in an egg shell of ice this morning.
After about twenty minutes of chipping away at the drivers door with broom handle (the only available tool), I got the door open and started the car. :?
I know in theory that the auto locking mechanism is disabled with the key in the ignition, but I don't trust it.
In case I accidently get locked out, I would like to have installed a hide-a-key on the car but I have absolutely no idea where to attach its magnet.
Has anyone overcome this issue, and where is a safe, hidden, ferrous surface on the Insight?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
5 easy steps:

Step 1: Get an extra key made.
Step 2: Drill a larger-than-usual hole in the head.
Step 3: Remove front or rear license plate (your choice).
Step 4: Install key behind license plate with mounting bolt for plate.
Step 5: Assembly is reverse of disassembly.

Advantages: Very accessible, no one knows it's there, and it's a LOT easier to find a screwdriver than a AAA truck if/when Your Beloved slams the door locked with the key inside. Not that it's ever happened to me, y'know... :roll:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boogetyboogety
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I could use one of my standard holes in the head!

Nice idea though, anyone else?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Here's what I did, took the key to a lock smith, they had a key blank that was the same, except no transponder chip so the whole key was flat. I kept this in my wallet. Never had to use it, but good to know it was there just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
:D :D :D (Made my day)

I like the concept of the cheap blank and the license. Thus the key gets you in which is the whole point but doesn't allow the car to be driven away. 8)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
boogetyboogety
Quote:

Ahhhhh, comedy runs rampant... :D made my day too...

:roll: :? :shock: :lol: :eek: :badgrin: ;) :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: 5 easy steps:

boogetyboogety said:
it's a LOT easier to find a screwdriver than a AAA truck if/when Your Beloved slams the door locked with the key inside.
I have a little screwdriver on my key chain so I can just use that to... DOH!!! 8)

I used to have a 1996 GMC Safari Van and they included a key like Rick mentioned that even had a little case that made it easy to carry in a wallet. Of course, it was 90 miles away at home the one time we could have used it. AAA came thru that time!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah... a friend of mine had, I want to say a Saturn, and the dealership privided an emergency key to keep in your wallet. The weird thing was the key was actually cut in plastic so you'd only have a few uses of it, but I suppose that would be all you really need.

The key I had cut was the full size of a regular key, just less the thickness of the transponder embedded plastic head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts