Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for the day I lock myself out. Does anyone know a good place to hide a spare key? I have used magnetic key boxes in the past but that wouldn't work on plastic or aluminum of course.

It may be wise to reply off the forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I am waiting for the day I lock myself out.
Just a suggestion: Always lock the car with the key. That way you never lock yourself out, and only have to worry about possibly losing the key.

That's one of the things I really liked about the old Subarus I used to have. You couldn't lock the doors from the outside except with the key, which I always thought was a most sensible feature. I've never understood the rationale of the "lock without key" design.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cut a blank to fit your doorlock, drill a large hole on the head where the key ring goes, unscrew one of your license plates, put key behind license plate with mounting bolt holding it in place, reinstall license plate, relax knowing that if you ever lock yourself out, you only have to find a screwdriver instead of a locksmith (or a brick)... :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Now that's an interesting idea...

The only problem with any solution involving a spare, hidden key is if you used the remote to lock the car, unlocking the car with just the key will set off the alarm. Of course, if your remote is locked inside the car... then you can disable the alarm as soon as you're in. But you couldn't have locked it with the remote, if the remote is in the car... I feel like I've run into a paradox.

And all those concerned people will have come running to see who's stealing a car, and will be relieved and happy when they discover it's not thievery at all.

Oh wait, that's right, car alarms don't prevent car theft, they just are noise pollution. OK, I'll stop now. :) :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boogetyboogety said:
Cut a blank to fit your doorlock, drill a large hole on the head where the key ring goes,.......
That is a good idea. Thanks. I now have a manageable task for that weekend list.

·
Registered
702 Posts
when i had my remote key lock(before it got run over) i just kept the remote and actual key on the same ring, and when i got out of the car, locked the car with the remote

now that i have the key i have noticed a few "anti lock yourself out" features that the insight has:
you cant lock the drivers side door with the key in the ignition
you have to pull the driver's inside handle to lock the door if its open(a feature on hondas since at least 1991, since it was on my first car)
the drivers side lock operates all 3 locks in the car, so if you cant lock the drivers side, then you cant lock any of em from the drivers door

these features have created an almost(and hopefully) fail proof method for me when getting out of my car...i take my key out of my ignition and immediatly either hold it in my hand or put it on my key chain, and as im getting out of the car hold the door open and hit the auto lock switch to lock up the car

HTH

·
Registered
495 Posts
... unscrew one of your license plates, put key behind license plate with mounting bolt holding it in place, reinstall license plate, ... if you ever lock yourself out, you only have to find a screwdriver instead of a locksmith (or a brick)... :lol:
Can't believe I didn't think of that! Outstanding idea!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
171 Posts
flymuck said:
unlocking the car with just the key will set off the alarm.
I didn't think our cars came with proper alarms, just the panic button on the remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:

today i am locked out of my car. i am requesting assistance minimizing re-entry damages. my cell is currently #917-710-1622. i have AAA, but have seen certain (relatively minor) damages resulting from service calls. i am here in an effort to minimize that risk before placing a service call. i am also familiar with a few methods for entering locked vehicles. again, i am concerned about risks of resultant (relatively minor) damages. the doors automatically locked after the vehicle was exited. i have noticed this in the past and presumed it was 'normal' for the vehicle. the key is in the car in the cup-holder. i didn't do it. it was someone else's innocent mistake. any and all help is greatly appreciated. i had planned on driving today, tomorrow, etc., so please, if you have anything helpful, & what with my psuedo-dial-up connection, have provided my cell #. thanks for reading, thanks for calling. i will now go about struggling with my small skills at "the search"

Polipe said:
I am waiting for the day I lock myself out.

It may be wise to reply off the forum.

boogetyboogety said:
Cut a blank to fit your doorlock, drill a large hole on the head where the key ring goes, unscrew one of your license plates, put key behind license plate with mounting bolt holding it in place, reinstall license plate, relax knowing that if you ever lock yourself out, you only have to find a screwdriver instead of a locksmith (or a brick)... :lol:
sounds like good advice.

[2008-07-19]: it seems i didn't come back promptly. the spare-key option from the dealership worked perfectly for the doors and trunk. yay. thanks fro your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts