Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading about people getting capacitors to run multi-amp systems... i assume to help with preserving the alternator. i know the Insight doesn't have an alternator, so my question is, will running two high-current amps put damaging strain on the electrical system of the Insight?

i'm currently running one HK CA260, bridged mono to a sub and am going to hook up another CA260 soon, to run the door spkrs.

here are some quick specs on the CA260
~ HCC (high instantaneous current capability): +/- 30A
~ typical current requirements
- at idle: 2.5A
- full power music signal: 6.7A (4 ohms.ch.); 10A (2 ohms/ch.)
- full power sine wave: 20A (4 ohms.ch.); 30A ( 2 ohms/ch.)

thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There is only about a 30 amp overhead with the stock DC/DC converter, so do not draw more than this much power (use a 30 amp fuse). John Wayland, who makes/made the whole shoebox subwoofer system dove pretty deep in to this when he first got his early Insight in 2000. You don't want to be pulling too much power, and quite frankly unless there something limiting the inrush current in to a capacitor it will only potentially generate higher current draws.

Either way, consider that DC/DC converter is a over $1,000 part to replace.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1000, huh? :shock:

well, the amps have 30A fuses in them and the HOT lead from the battery has a 20A fuse. I assume these two "safe guards" will suffice.

(?)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The 2 amps combine will draw a potential peak of 60A :!: :shock: If you fuse in parallel to the battery then that will be the load. Fuse in series throught a 20A and you'll likely blow this fuse on heavy deep bass notes (but save the DC-DC converter (alternator)). You can _probably_ "get away" with it for a while but depending on many factors (if fused at 60A) this additional overloading will take its toll.

The last time I checked the DC-DC converter was $1,200.

In theory some _BIG_ capacitors sized correctly in parallel with the B+ and shunted with a resistor to limit their in rush feed can reduce the peak load slightly. But you'll need to find someone with the electronics background to do the calculation. And in theory it would still be "possible" to push this safeguard beyond its limits of assist too.

Good thing your looking for help via the written word. With the dbA this system will punch out you'll be deaf in a matter of hours. :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insightful Trekker said:
Good thing your looking for help via the written word. With the dbA this system will punch out you'll be deaf in a matter of hours. :p
LOL! sucka.

i'm not a loud listener of music, but i definitely like full, quality sound. i was planning on running both amps off of that single HOT wire (w/20A fuse and a distribution block)

I'll stick with that route. I hoping everything will be fine since I won't be pulling more than 20As at a time.

*keeping fingers crossed*

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
karlinhos said:
LOL! sucka.
WOW :shock: That's some serious bass dbA. Enough bass note atmospheric compression to degrade the optic nerve. (If you missed seeing my razz ( :p ) ;) )

Seriously, your 20A fuse for both amps combine will limit the total load to... 20A. And will be the protection your electrical system needs. But I'd suspect that when you crank it up (only to "test" it of course) on the first bass note the fuse will blow.

Good Luck :!: :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Seriously, your 20A fuse for both amps combine will limit the total load to... 20A. And will be the protection your electrical system needs. But I'd suspect that when you crank it up (only to "test" it of course) on the first bass note the fuse will blow.

Good Luck :!: :)

I'll second that. If you really do want to have more power it can be done, but you will have to add another DC/DC converter to the car to independently power the amps. You'll have to talk to John Wayland though about it as he's the only one who's put this powerful of a stereo in an Insight. It shouldn't be too difficult to do, but you would be working around high voltage so you'd have to be careful.

I should mention a non Honda Insight specific DC/DC converter will be maybe a couple hundred bucks max.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a brotha just wants to hear some music! (lol)

well, i'll get everything hooked up... give it a go... put in a bass-filled cd... turn it up... and report back. :wink:

if it doesn't hang and keeps blowing, i'll definitely contact john (or search this board) for his experienced feedback.

trekker - i saw your razz... my "sucka" comment was in-line with that. just a little fun reciprocation.

anyway, thanks a ton to all of you for your thoughts and advice. i really appreciate it.

stay tuned!

k.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Actually John Wayland is on the Yahoo "Honda-Hybrid" group, he hasn't posted here much.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

It should be too difficult, you just have to hook it in where the car see's the current being drawn off of the IMA pack.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rick - thanks for the heads-up on john's wherabouts and his website url. good info!

"... you just have to hook it in where the car see's the current being drawn off of the IMA pack."

famous last words. (ha) that IMA pack scares the bejeezus out of me.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
karlinhos said:
that IMA pack scares the bejeezus out of me.
If your not completely comfortable with it then don't attempt it. I would do it because I've had many years of playing with high voltage and batteries. I've even built my own electric car so my attitude towards this type of thing is different from 99.999% of the general public.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, my thing is just the unfamiliarity factor. i don't know anything about the IMA other than it produces a lot of electricity and has warning stickers all over the casing. (lol) but if i got explicit/clear directions on how to do it, from sombody i had the utmost confidence in, then i would be no problem. i'm pretty mechanically inclined and am pretty good at sensing where my limitations are.

eh, we'll see.

again, thanks for the thoughts/suggestions!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Famous quote:

Aim where to hit and hit where you aim. - the three fingered wood chopper

Seriously there is the expereince factor, especially in dealing with something "invisible" like electricity. And with 144v an error can be lethal. :shock:

Your self imposed respect for the IMA pack's voltage is a good thing. Yah, someone experienced with high voltage electricity could make this connection job look "easy", but there is a looong list of things that their also looking to make sure that they _don't _ do too :!: :oops: :ZAP: :shock:

Difficult to give safe "directions" via the written word for someone early in the learning process. If you get serious about the upgraded connection find a good shop to do that part of the work. :)

HTH! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts