Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High frequency whirring noise when accelerating - Possible IMA?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I recently bought a 2010 Honda Insight EX and so far I'm really enjoying the car.

The car drives and runs great. However, there is high frequency whirring noise when I accelerate (not too loud and I can only hear it in the cabin and not when I roll my windows down). I usually hear it when I see the needle for the IMA indicator increase. It seems to go away at high speeds and when I let my foot off the gas.

It does not make any noise while idle at all nor when I rev the engine in Park or Neutral (Not sure if this would do anything or the correct way to troubleshoot, but I wanted to check).

Is there supposed to be a high frequency whirring sound with IMA? This is my first hybrid and I'm not sure if that sound is supposed to be normal.

Hoping you guys can help. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard that too: I had my Insight for only 300 Km and that high frequency whirring noise is present. It's an electrical noise so I think is part of the package. Unfortunately. I will ignore it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Because you are both newbies to the 2nd generation Insight, I am going to suggest you change the CVT (constant velocity transmission) fluid. It is possible that service was neglected by the previous owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My CVT fluid was changed at the Honda dealer 4.600 Km ago (3 months ago). I still have 35.400 Km till the next change.

The motor Oil was changed 200 Km ago (last week) at the same Honda dealer with Honda Hybrid Green Oil.

The car has 82.700 Km.

·
Registered
270 Posts
On a separate issue what did you pay for the green oil and the CVT oil? I'm in Ireland and crazy prices abound- thank you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My 2010 ( previous insight ze2) had a whirring noise for as long as I owned it ,not intrusive and I faithfully changed the CVT oil every other service- TBH CVT engines do whir ,my last car ( Suzuki swift automatic,jap import, CVT ) also whirred,but no problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the suggestions.

I took everyone's advice to change the CVT fluid just to make sure that's taken care of as I wasn't sure if it could have potentially been neglected from the previous owner.

Since I went to a Honda dealership to get the CVT fluid drained and filled, I thought I'd address the high pitched whir upon acceleration as well.

The dealership suspected that there was a tiny leak between the exhaust manifold and B-pipe due to worn motor mounts. They stated that the whirring noise occurred because the engine was flexing upon acceleration and due to the worn mounts that it caused a tiny leak and that was the source of the noise.

Also pointed out that the reason it went away at high speeds was because the engine did not need to flex as much when reaching highway speeds.

They suggested that I replace the donut/gasket between the manifold and b-pipe, which I had them do but it did not get rid of the noise...

I guess the good news is that they mentioned that I shouldn't be too concerned about the tiny leak as it wasn't leaking while idle and it's only a slight annoyance and doesn't need to be further addressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this diagnosis? Also, based on everyone else's response, it sounds like it is normal..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2010 ( previous insight ze2) had a whirring noise for as long as I owned it ,not intrusive and I faithfully changed the CVT oil every other service- TBH CVT engines do whir ,my last car ( Suzuki swift automatic,jap import, CVT ) also whirred,but no problems
Hi Garrydhu, did this high pitched whirring noise only occur upon acceleration?

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
"Didn't get rid of the noise", did they still charge you for the repair?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ref my whirring noise at the time never went away but caused no hassle,and ref donut gasket etc I had the same advice given to me ,but it turned out to be a loose bolt around the heat shield

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ref my whirring noise at the time never went away but caused no hassle,and ref donut gasket etc I had the same advice given to me ,but it turned out to be a loose bolt around the heat shield
Garrydhu, sounds like I could potentially be in the same situation. Were you able to tighten this bolt yourself or did you have to take it in to have them lift up the car?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
I would find another repair shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Garrydhu
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing