Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i exit the car and touch the outside to close it i get shocked... When my girlfriend brought in her fuzzy coat the whole thing perked up... is this normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I get shocked all the time...but almost never by my Insight...maybe once in the 18 months I've owned the car and it was nothing.

I am regularly shocked walking across the carpet at work, rolling the shopping cart down grocery aisles and taking clothes out of the dryer. The worst shock ever came when I stepped out of our old '87 Corolla on a dry winter day :shock: and a close second came opening the refrigerator door in the kitchen...the arc from fridge door to my finger lit the room :shock: . My husband says I'm a walking Van de Graf generator. Great. :roll: Misting bottles, "Static Guard" (wish it didn't stink) and cotton clothes are my buddies.

Major factors generating static seem to be ambient weather conditions (cold/dry), skin type and synthetic clothing materials. I personally feel my Insight is the best car I've ever owned for *not* producing static zaps.

Have you talked to your dealership? Good luck and keep us "current".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I get shocked all the time in the winter. Close the door by touching the painted part instead of the metal part around the window. That'll eliminate the shock.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
I'll offer this as a wild suggestion. :roll: Could it be that the seats were sprayed with some sort of protector or water repellant? I have noted some bizarre static generation when working with oily solvents on plastic.

Normally static is not a problem but for a couple of days I was working on the Insight and wearing one particular jacket, nylon outside and insulated. Every time I got into the car I got a spark. It was just the one jacket though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Perhaps one could install something like the static discharge devices on the trailing edge of aircraft wings, or the grounding strip used on volitle(sp?) fuel transport vehicles. The purpose of these devices is to keep the static drained off.

Too much moisture in my outdoor climate, no spark from my Insight, but we do have laminate wood flooring in the downstairs, which gives quite a charge.

Randall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
The Insight seats seem to create a good bit of static I'll agree. One thing I've seen done is to drag a small ground strap across the ground under the vehicle which will eliminate this.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
sputnik said:
Major factors generating static seem to be ambient weather conditions (cold/dry), skin type.
I suffer terribly, what with having polyester skin!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I get shocked 100% of the time getting out of my Insight, no matter what time of day (haven't had it long enough to say whether it happens year-round)... but my old Ford Escort also shocked me 100% of the time. It doesn't seem to me like the Insight generates any more or less static electricity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
During the winter in Texas I would get a static shock from getting out every time. I got into the habit of grabbing the metal part of the key just below the plastic part that attaches to the key ring, then I would touch a metal part of the door with the tip of the key and I would see a nice big blue arc and didn't feel a thing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Given how you were holding the key the following probably doesn't apply but electricity is known to do strange things :!: :shock: ;)

The Insight is factory equipped with an immobilizer (anti theft) system. There is a coded electronic chip embedded in the key that communicates this signal. Exposing this chip to any high voltage could easily "fry" the chip causing a no start until the key is replaced and the immobilizer system is recoded to match the new key $$$. :eek:uch:

I'd keep a spare immobilizer key that is coded to your Insight handy if your gonna use this technique

HTH! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I am shocked every time I enter a gas station. Fortunately, this seldom happens.








Oh, you mean an *electric* shock?

Nevermind.

[mod note: LOL :lol: good one ;) THANKS ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
we get the static electricity shock with the Insight too, but not more frequently than i do with the '93civic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I have noticed the shock, too. During this winter, it has been painfully intense. Never had it on any of my other cars (Volvos all). It's not a big deal but it is an irritation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
I've never had a static shock from my Insight.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
To eliminate the shocking sensation try going barefoot :) I have noticed with some footware it is absent due to grounding.
I sent the cat into orbit the other day by reaching out to stroke it so am not popular at the moment :(

DGate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
I never get static shocks in my I2. Having said that, I have plastic mats to keep the carpets clean. I suspect its all down to carpets and footwear. I had static problems on my previous cars though.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top