Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 220k and got an oil change and tire rotation. I have a 2001 Honda Insight. I changed swapped the cvt fluid @191k when I got the car (didn’t flush). I replaced the hybrid battery in it over a year ago and it’s been flawless. When I requested a cvt fluid change they told me not to as it would pretty much destroy the cvt at this mileage. Any recommendations? Leave it as it until she dies? Or do the swap anyway on my own?

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
138 Posts
When I requested a cvt fluid change they told me not to as it would pretty much destroy the cvt at this mileage.
That's complete rubbish. Yeah, do it yourself as it's not that difficult and it'll guarantee you have the correct fluid. Use only genuine Honda 'CVT-Fluid' and nothing else, as the box is fussy about its fluid. You want the one spelled exactly like that, not Honda CVT-F or HF2. Drain it out the plug in the bottom and refill it in the 17mm plug in the top (which will be TIGHT). Undo the bolts in the airbox and pull the intake hoses off to get to it. You'll need a funnel and a short length of hose to poke in the hole to make filling it easier. Do a search on here for the quantity, I think it's 3.5 quarts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Drain it out the plug in the bottom and refill it in the 17mm plug in the top (which will be TIGHT).
I'd suggest undo the fill plug first, it there is potential for it being stuck, you don't want to drain the oil out then find you cannot refill it! I've made that mistake on my Audi and 'luckily' had to drop the engine out for another issue so could sort it then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For my 2001 CVT with 210K miles I have actually used the dipstick tube to fill the 3.5qt using a small funnel. Every time you empty from the drain plug in reality you are only replacing 1/2 of the total volume because there is an similar amount inside the transmission, I have performed a couple of flushes within a month interval, by doing this you become cleaner 50% the first drain and 75% the second time, I am planning to do one more drain and replenish next month so that it becomes 87.5% cleaned of the original contaminants I had a couple of months ago. Just as Jonny69 aid, ALWAYS USE OEM CVT FLUID!

I know there is a risk with traditional automatic transmissions, but personally I did not have any problems with my 01 cvt.

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts