Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a big fan of the Insight and hybrids in general, although not an owner yet. I have had some experience driving an Insight around that was owned by the company I was working for.

In any case, here are my questions to ask some of you that are owners...

What's the max sustainable top speed of the vehicle? (i.e. after driving for a long time at high speed, I assume that the electric boost from the motor drops off when the battery gets low, so then the engine is trying to charge the battery AND provide power to the wheels, so this would be the SUSTAINABLE top speed)

Anyone have fuel consumption numbers while driving flat out like that to go along with it?

I know that most of you Insight guys probably don't drive like that, but this is very useful info regardless, so if someone has done this, please share your experience!

Thanks--

Jason

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have driven my 5 speed Insight at a constant speed of 145 km/hr (90 mph) for a few minutes and it didn't use any electric assist.
At high speed the engine is at a high RPM so it can produce more power so it doesn't need assist (at least at those speeds).

To answer your question: I don't know the maximum sustainable speed the Insight can hold without using electric assist, but it's more then 90 mph.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had mine crusing at 105 (on a very early morning run to work) without any assit, so the sustainable speed will be over this.

I think it was doing about 60 mpg instataneous on the guage.

Not done it long enough to get an average reading, there are far too many speed cameras around the area.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I have also recently got up to 105 mph with no assist. What surprised me was that the engine revs were at 4,000rpm (in 5th) and so I had another 2,000rpm left to play with.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Insight is geared so tall, it could theoretically drive at 300 km/hr (186 mph) in 5th gear when it hits 7000 RPM fuel cut off. But it's electronically governed at 180 km/hr (110 mph).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok

So is 180kph sustainable? Can I hold that speed from Köln(Cologne) to München(Munich) barring traffic jams?

Anyone done this?

Thx!

G

·
0 Posts
Anyone know how to remove the speed limiter!!!!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I doubt that removing the speed limiter would give you much *in any* higher top end. Although the gear ratios theoretically make this possible, its the aerodynamic drag that limits the top speed, and 110mph is probably really close to the drag-limit of the 3cylinder... meaning that the 3 cyl probably can't overcome the forces of drag already acting on the car at that speed...

Can anyone report to whether the car pulls right up to 180kph or just creeps up there eventually?

Thx!

G

·
0 Posts
Mine seams to get there in no time at all, stops right at 180 kph. That's why I ask about removing the limiter, I'm sure it would do more.

I understand about drag/torque/power curves, it's my job to. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
At 80 MPH across Mohave, I made 49 MPH in the CVT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Mark,

No harm intended :)
Have you done any long distances with it and averaged your fuel consumption? I really curious about this...

Maybe we should then change the topic of this discussion to: How to override the speed limiter!

Maybe one of the aftermarket companies should make some chips for hte Insight?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Fastest I've ever driven for a while was maintaining around 90mph in 5th gear with the air on for a few hours. I think I only averaged like 47mpg. I had the pedal right at the spot where any more would have resulted in assist. It would slow down a few mph when the compressor kicked in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rpm and speed limiter

There is no speed limiter of 110 mph on the '00. I've been up to 112, and there's still no cut-off. There is no 7000 rev limit on my car either, as my fuel cut-ff is at 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No 2000 and 2001 did not have speed limiters. This was just an added feature they put on 2002. Go get the new ECU, I would put money on it that you also recieve a speed limiter with this package (Actually don't get the new ECU unless your having problems).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,907 Posts
hi speed/gas use

Interesting. The ROCKET is a 2001, and I have been at the limit of 114 mph (indicated),numerous times times while developing the turbo setup. Haven't had the new ECM installed. The injectors do certainely shut down at that speed. The rev limiter is definately set at 6,000. (per the OBD tool)

G

·
0 Posts
The limiter is set at 180kph (about 112moh) due to Japanese tax regs.

It's like the 'k' class cars that can only be 650cc etc.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The redline in my 2000 Insight starts at 6000 and displays until 7000.
When I'm auto-x racing i'm often spending 1 or 2 seconds in redline past 6500 rpm before it cuts fuel.
I bought the car used and I have asked the local dealer if there were any recals that needed to be done to my car and they checked and said no. So I'm assuming the ECU has already been updated.
I don't know when I'll get the chance to try to reach top speed in a safe place...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I gotta give Honda Credit, they made the speed limiter nice and soft. I've been on some rides in vehciles where the speed limiter was scarry at those speeds. I was able to pull right to 113 on flat land, got there hit 4th and got nothing, but I did stay right there at that speed. The second time I tried it was going down hill to see if I could possibly get it going any faster. Nope, 113 was all it would let me do even dispite being in 5th that time on a steep hill. I'm not exactly sure what it did, but fuel cut sounds about right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts