Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes, most vehicles have speed limiters for saftey reasons. Mainly because they don't want you going so fast for any period that your tires come apart. About the only acception would be cars made to go fast that have speed rated tires. IE Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, Porsche etc. Most of these are drag limited.

The stock Potenza tires on the Insight are rated for 113 mph so a speed limiter there makes sense. Now I'm curious what exactly the deal is with the Insight speed limiter if Willie claims his has one. I know a former owner of one who had a 2001 that he had up to 121! The software is deffinitely different between his 01 and my 02 because he had full IMA all the way where as mine cut IMA at 100. Very strange. Maybe one day we'll have to have a meet at some race track and compare results.

G

·
mmm,

Insight racing, that could be amusing.

Can see it know, carpets & trim out to save weight, mirrors folded in to reduce drag!!!!

Altough is we had one here in the UK it could have a limited field as I have never seen another.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, remember that the speedos are not exactly correct. Most are low by 10% (i.e. 121mph on the speedo would really be around 108mph vehicle speed). So remember that with the speedo, that is more or less your approximate speed (just take a GPS device along with and check the speed of your speedo with the speed on the GPS to see what I mean).

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
jasshrie said:
Also, remember that the speedos are not exactly correct. Most are low by 10%
I must be lucky because my speedometer is much better than that. If it were off by 10% it would have taken me an extra half-hour to an hour each day, driving across the country recently.

If you don't have a GPS you can also test this using mileage markers and a watch.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My GPS shows that the Insight speedo is off by 2% with OEM tires and aftermarket tires that have the same outter diameter.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Another reason most cars have speed limiters is that the aerodymamic shape of most cars produce lift in the rear at very high speeds. This lift reduces the weight on the rear tires reducing their grip so when turning there is higher risk of oversteering even on dry roads!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.