Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I do have some HC4053 chips 3 x SDDT switches I could use one of those.
But seems a bit wasteful. I only need one SPDT channel..

I'm going to order some MAX 4544 chips nice 8pin DIL. :)

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Waiting for my switch chips to arrive tomorrow with luck.

Anyway been on several test drives and no codes or other glitches.
All seems to be hanging together for now.

Might get to the rolling road on Friday..

As stated my intention is to do the 1st run with both ALF & RLF set, so no assist or regen.
Second run with RLF set so no regen.

That should basically gives us two figures for comparison, engine only and then engine + assist.

Just to recap here are some old rolling road figures from the same car nine years ago with the A123 20ah Lithium 50 cell pack. Note I didn't do a no assist baseline run then, sorry.

Mods 20% current increase hack.
130V fixed voltage hack.
Max IMA power 116A at 155V = 17.98kw
Battery temp 25C Soc 95%

Rolling Road Graph 1
Rolling Road Graph 2

You will see this old system is not as hacked as the one we will be testing later this week.

We now have + 40% current, 120V fixed voltage hack and a 70V under load higher voltage battery!

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Still inching forward and making incremental improvements.

1) Added a DPDT switch so I can switch between OEM BCM data or BCM Interceptor data being fed to the MCM.

2) Changed Meanwell psu fan resistor back to 15R for more speed as I can't hear it when back is closed up.

3) Fixed spare wheel on top of rear deck using oem fixing thingy and captive nut etc fitted into IMA cover.

4) Added second parallel pre-charge resistor to 2x speed up filter capacitor charging.

Comments.

Currently I don't have any IMA errors, but I do have a weird intermittent 'Isb' (IMA Standby signal) issue.

This is a 2khz pwm signal sent from the MCM to the ECM to tell it if the IMA if ready for action.

10% duty = IMA not ready, so no IMA start or assist.
90% duty = All systems go.

The MCM seems to be randomly setting this at turn on, sometimes it's 10% and sometimes 90%.
Switch to OEM BCM data does not affect it, so this isn't a BCM Interceptor issue.
I can't see any logical pattern or cause at the moment.

However I can hear the manin contactor is not engaging, so suspect it is to do with the MCM VPIN opamp circuit.
I need to scope that as I don't think the VPIN signal is being relayed or buffered quite correctly.

Performance continues to be startling. I suspect my UJ's might protest in due course.

Another 50 mile test today with no issues other than backup starter starts after some ign off stops.
It's the Isb thing. :unsure:

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I revisited the VPIN stuff and added a couple of extra parts to improve impedance matching between the opamp output and the MCM VPIN input. This seems to have cured the 'Isb' % problem and it's working well.

'Isb' now consistently 90% and IMA ready for action with IMA start etc.

The 120V Hack is set to come in at 3000rpm + as this works consistently and in all gears.
You can use the hack at 2500 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, but in 3rd and above it gives an error code below 3000rpm.

I suspect with the CVT you could would not need rpm detection and enabling, because as we know when you put your foot down in the CVT the rpm's rises immediately. This takes you straight into the safe zone for RPM and max current/power etc.

I expect the performance with the CVT and this high voltage system would be even more astonishing than the manual car. But it would really test the CVT, driveshafts and the dreaded splines! Dare I try it?

Hmm I might buy another set of LTO blocks for my CVT..

In other matters I would like to start speeding up WOT throttle response and rpm detection.
This is currently done by the OBDIIC&C and sending requests for data to the ECM/MCM computers.
This incurs an immediate delay and with everything else going on the response is not a fast as I ideally would like.

I need to do some code optimising in the OBDIIC&C firmware for a start to speed things up.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)

I've just ordered one of these to play with. Dissect maybe?

This is an interesting video of some chat fiddling with one.

0-400V 0-300A Wireless meter

Always useful to have an independent second opinion when testing stuff and comparing meters etc.

The fact this is wireless means it might work into my house so you could monitor activity/charge etc.

It might not like the faraday cage of the IMA compartment but we shall see.

Slow boat from china so a month before delivery.

It also counts power in and out of the battery/pack so might also be a useful cheap fuel gauge.

Aliexpress has good prices. US $31.15 30% OFF|JUNTEK VAT 4300 Wireless Digital voltmeter ammeter 0.01 400V 0.1 300A Current Voltage Power Wireless Color Multifunction Digital|Voltage Meters| - AliExpress

A chap I know has also written a useful guide on it..

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Scott does a flywheel spline upgrade for the CVT if I'm not mistaken. Would a CVT outfitted with that be better able to handle the extra power?
It might..

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
General update.

I'm off on a decent 400 mile road trip tomorrow so a chance for more testing testing.

Regen is increased now at lower rpms so we get > 45A at 230V or so which is over 10kw.
The strong retardation effect is very useful on hills etc.

There is still the curious low regen zone at 4000 rpm.
That's obviously a weird system artifact like the 2000 rpm low assist zone I encountered in the low voltage 48 cell setup.

With each electronic tweak I get slight incremental power and reliability improvements.
Below 3000 rpm assist gives a very decent punchy 15kw+.

But when the fixed 120V hack comes in you better hold onto your hats! :devilish:

We now get a frankly astonishing ~30kw at above 3000rpm right upto and beyond the redline LOL.
140A x 215+ volts under load with the battery at 30C. Soc about 75%

I will double check these figures with that monitoring thingy when it arrives.
But my grinning face and seat of my pants dyno gauge says I don't think they are far off.

I'm going to delay the rolling road testing till the new gadget arrives.
As then I will have some backup confirmation of IMA system power figures.
I'll try and video the dyno testing so you can see where we are...

I'm not going to try the 50% current hack at the present time as I feel i'm getting very near the ragged edge.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
2nd gear acceleration road test videos.

This is a series of two quick Honda Insight ZE1 WOT acceleration test run videos on the same piece of road in the same direction and conditions.

Battery Voltage at rest 240V
Cell Voltages 2.5V~
Battery Temp 25C
Battery SOC 95%
Battery Amps when assisting 140A
Battery Voltage when assisting 220V
IMA Maximum power 30kw

Please can some clever maths people look at the vids and work out the acceleration from say 30 to 70mph in each video.

By 30mph the cars is in a straight line stable acceleration curve.

Video 1 No assist.

Video 2 Max assist. ~30kw +

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
My weight and the extra weight of the batteries raises the curb weight of my 5 speed MT AC car to ~1000kg.

Using my stop watch and timing from the video speedo rollover at 30mph then 70mph gave me..

No assist 13.90 Seconds = 0.131g = calculated 38.9hp based on mass 1000kg

Max assist 7.80 Seconds = 0.234g = calculated 69.4hp based on mass 1000kg

Your timings might differ slightly ;)

Could we plot that somehow and get a pretty graph on a shared Google spreadsheet?

I used this. Car Acceleration

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,690 Posts
30.5 HP just from the IMA?

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
30.5 HP just from the IMA?
~30kw = about ~40HP .. at the IMA battery .. if it's doing about ~90% conversion efficiency between the combined MDM electronics & IMA motor , that's about ~27kw (~36HP) , of IMA alone , at the drive shaft.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Julian Edgar with the Australian Turbo (IMA less) Insight has also kindly done a 20-70mph 2nd gear run for comparison.

Can someone good with videos put his alongside mine somehow perhaps in a split screen thing with a simultaneous start time.

Or perhaps do some graphs?

I imagine his well developed turbo setup and 30kw IMA would make a very potent machine indeed.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
My 96 cell setup is likely to be cutback to 72 cells shortly to allow final testing of the 72 Cell LTO conversion gadgets.

So the rolling road smackdown might have to wait a bit... :(

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
My 350 mile road trip on Monday was uneventful and it was good fun driving the car a decent distance. It all worked and I didn't break anything. Good to see Paul again and I think the UK CVT Rally car might be being resurrected with 72 Cell LTO in due course.

So the million dollar question... Would I recommend 96 Cell LTO to others?

It depends. It's heavy and you have to defeat and modify quite a few things in the OEM system to make it work reliably. You can't use the OEM dc-dc as the voltage is too high etc. But the 30kw performance potential is very impressive. :eek:

So we have two answers.

1) If you have excellent electronic skills and want to live on the 30kw ragged edge for ultimate performance from the stock electronics and do a lot of hacking and mods to make it work the answer is OK then.

2) If you want a simpler quieter life, easier installation, less weight and less stress then 84 cells is the realistic max and the answer is yes.

Personally I think 72 Cell is the best compromise for simplicity v weight v performance v cost.

72 Cell LTO is still well capable of 20kw+ with appropriate mods.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Can someone good with videos put his alongside mine somehow perhaps in a split screen thing with a simultaneous start time.
Very close .. less than a second apart .. small enough margin a little technique or conditions would make the difference.
Your heavier PHEV started off accelerating faster .. but .. at higher RPMs his lighter Turbo was accelerating faster .. until he hit his rev limit a little bit before you did.

Video data by second pic attached.

Video side by side link bellow .. I also included a 'subtitle' translation of Julian's kph to MPH .. I'm assuming Julian configured his video as 'unlisted' deliberately .. soo , I did the same setting on this video link that contains his video .. just means you have to have the link to see the video .. and it shouldn't pop up to his viewer's / audience of his normal youtube channel.

Attachments

Reactions: retepsnikrep

·
Registered
824 Posts
How many seconds of regen are needed for one second of raw full assist?

How much regen is generated at, say 20% SOC vs 80% SOC?

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks Ian very cool.

How many seconds of regen are needed for one second of raw full assist?

How much regen is generated at, say 20% SOC vs 80% SOC?
1) If we assume 100% efficiency in the electrical system..

10kw of assist for 10 seconds needs 2.5kw of regen for 40 seconds to replace it.

But it isn't 100% efficient. So it's probably like 10kw of assist for 10 seconds needs 2.5kw of regen for 45-60 seconds.

2) It regens the same at 20% as it does at 80%

41 - 60 of 63 Posts