Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in WV and pay $151 to renew my registration as opposed to a gas guzzler that only pays $51. Electric vehicles pay $300! This started last year. Other states have similar policies and I'm sure many Insight owners here live in those states. Just wondering if any of you in those states have found a way around this absurd policy?

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,300 Posts
Consider that the state gains no continuing revenue from gas taxes. I've read that $0.35 per gallon goes to West Virginia. Obviously depending on miles driven you could have a real benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Fortunately, here in Iowa, the new policy only applies to EVs and plug-in hybrids. So, I didn't get hit on my Insights, but I did on our plugin-in Prius.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
A $75 'hybrid fee' started in Washington State a couple years ago. Pisses me off. It's totally backwards. What's really ****ed-up is the short explanation on renewal notice says something like 'fee for funding environmental initiatives, etc.'. Right, I drive a light weight, fuel economical hybrid and you want me to pay more for 'environmental initiatives'? I hate the weight fee, too, I should get a credit for driving such a lightweight car. I'll pay a fee for keeping up the roads - if you pay me a credit for all the environmental externalities I'm not imposing on everyone else, or for all the environmental externalities imposed on me by others... I don't get why it's so difficult to craft a rational tax and fee system, something commensurate with the times... Or rather, I do get it, and the explanation is no consolation.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to spend as little money as possible in WV. I'm 24 miles from Winchester, VA and the gas at Costco is usually about 30 cent's cheaper than in WV so I'll get gas there. Have the same grocery store as where I live so I'll buy groceries there too. At 60+ MPG it's worth it to me to spend a little more time and give my money to another state than give it to a state with an unfair tax

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ohio charges an extra hundred for a vehicle that will run on electric alone. The G1 is exempt because, the ICE always operates (according to the state). My Prius C and Accord Hybrid were and are dinged because they’ll run short distances in electric only mode.

I agree it makes no sense. I think they should charge by the manufacturer’s stated curb weight of the vehicle. The heavier the vehicle, the more you pay!

Reactions: Moon car

·
Registered
319 Posts
I can't even wrap my head around this idea. I'm sure if New York does not have it yet they will soon. Word is that our governor wants to raise the gas tax by 55 cents.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why not argue your car is a regular gasser with a 12v battery? Just fully reject the hybrid title.

Is this vehicle a hybrid? No.

EDIT:
For some reason i remember reading in CA vehicle code emissions tests are only for engine sizes 1000cc and up. I know the insight is 999cc. I read the CVC recently after hearing insights require emissions tests and didn't find the exemption. I wonder if they changed the entire law because of a handful of highly specialized experimental gas sippers were released into the wild years ago...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why not argue your car is a regular gasser with a 12v battery? Just fully reject the hybrid title.

EDIT:
For some reason i remember reading in CA vehicle code emissions tests are only for engine sizes 1000cc and up. I know the insight is 999cc. I read the CVC recently after hearing insights require emissions tests and didn't find the exemption. I wonder if they changed the entire law because of a handful of highly specialized experimental gas sippers were released into the wild years ago...
Argue with the bureaucracy? good luck with that.
Lie on a gov't form? not the best idea.
And let even one person get around the thumb of the gov't? We can't have that! If you let one exception get by, then you'll have more and more and then chaos and anarchy!

I have a pair of Subaru Bajas (They're an Outback with the top of the back chopped off and extended a few inches for a pickup-like bed), the first one I transferred the truck plate I already had. When I registered the second, the gal behind the counter was punching it up as a car plate so I said something and explained it. She asked if I wanted a car or truck plate then. Same price so car plate of course so I can have them registered one as a car, one as a truck. It'll break before it hits the GCVWR for car plates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
G1 and a Baja?!?! Who'd have thunk it... Twins!

View attachment 91377
Actually, trading the NA Baja for the G1 tomorrow. Still have the turbo. the plan is get rid of the CRZ, NA Baja, and Firebird and get the Insight and a bigger truck. One of these days exceeding the tow rating by 100% (400% technically since my trailer lacks brakes) is going to catch up with me.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Argue with the bureaucracy? good luck with that.
Lie on a gov't form? not the best idea.
I am not even allowed to have a form to lie on

IHS Markit a private conservative company administers the hybrid fee, because of them 2 identical cars can have different title and registration fees and you can’t do anything about it.

As for my insight it hasn’t been a hybrid in 5 years, no lie but if it were possible to prove they would likely fine me until I repaired the hybrid system instead of refunding the hybrid fee on my non-hybrid car

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In WV registering an antique vehicle costs $2 per year.
In TN registering an antique vehicle costs $32.75 (no expiration).
Yes but the car is only 21 years old it has to be 25 years old in West Virginia to be registered as an antique

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

EDIT:
Hard to argue that the car is not a hybrid when Honda says it is and sold it as a hybrid. And they don’t ask you if it’s a hybrid or not they tell you

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can’t fight City hall, unless you’re a ‘right’ person and storm Congress, and even then, the FBI will find you.

Did you know that back in the day, the oil companies bought up all the light rail in Los Angeles, and tore them out, to make sure people would use cars, oil, gas, roads.

Given the global climate collapse, it would make sense to charge a flat rate road use tax on every car, truck, scooter… and then charge a fee by mpg, say using 60 mpg factory rating, or electric only, as no fee. The to keep road-bridge-signal maintenance money coming in, amp the ‘environmental collection fees’ on a scale heading down to 1 mpg with a corresponding increase in fee… such that a 10mpg 4wd unsmogged giant truck pays an extra $5000/year for tags, for example.

But we’re not logical, educated or utilitarian (greatest good for the greatest number) as a species. 50% of the county I live In refuses Covid-19 vaccinations. 3 people out of a whole Safeway of folks seemed to understand what a virus is, how it transmits, and even if vaccinated, as those three still wear masks for their own and public good.

ps. 4.7% of the new C19 cases this week were contracted by vaccinated people in my county. Why are masks optional? Washington State also has the charge the ‘green’ hybrid and electric fees?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The problem is the gas tax setup overall. Somebody has to pay for roads, and if the money comes from gas taxes, then EVs and hybrids should be forced to pay their share by an adjustment to their registration charge. But a better way to do it would be to have the revenue come as a registration fee for all cars, instead of a gasoline tax, and the fee should be based on vehicle weight as a proxy for road damage.

These problems will be resolved when the direct personal impact of climate change starts to be noticed by enough people. Which might be sooner than expected if the recent west coast weather is any indication.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts