Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
That penalizes the people who live in the rural areas of the country, and favors the city slickers. Is that fair?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Roads in rural areas serve fewer individuals, hence the 'city slickers' are likely subsidizing rural roads anyway.
However, the slity sickers get worse gas mileage than rural folks.

Also, I live in a state where all the city-dwelling scum drive through rural areas with their ATVs, snowmobiles, and boats–partying and having a great time. They junk up the countryside by leaving trash all over, condescend to the locals, and that's just to spend a weekend here. Then they drive back to their cities and complain about all the tourists, with no regard to what they just did to my state!

They've chosen a higher cost of living–let them pay for it!

MyOrgan

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
A car like a Honda insight with the battery out. Or my car that weighs about 1700 pounds now I’ve taken a lot of stuff out. Probably does less damage to a road than a hummer with a 3000 pound battery.

so if you are driving a car with a 1000 up to 3000 pound battery you’re going to be doing more road damage.

But on the other side semi trucks they’ve got the weight disbursed on 18 tires.

They are the workhorse you got to have them or people would have to raise their own food in their backyard. And then Have security to keep neighbors from stealing their food at night.

Yes big trucks put more wear and tear on the roads but they are a necessity. What is fair about making people that you must have to survive pay you Us money to take care of ya

it’s almost like going to a doctor and the doctor pays you for coming to see him.

My car is gas only when I buy gas -Tennessee raised gas taxes 2017 that’s why I got the car The gas purchased gets heavily taxed.

America could be trying to do something about global warming and make cars available like the Honda insight that can get 100 mpg without a battery. But it’s not. It is celebrating trucks with 3000 pound batteries. Somebody’s getting paid off. Somebody’s gonna make a lot of money selling batteries.

I say I’m getting heavily taxed on gas. Because vehicles get less than 30 miles a gallon. Compared to my 100 mpg car. That’s three times more tax and still they raised it in 2017.

this reminds me of a personal story. I’m tight with my money I’ve got a 2000 Honda insight because it gets 100 mpg.

I also had a girlfriend 20 years ago she was beautiful. No she was really beautiful. She asked me to go on a vacation with her. So I did. I was paying for everything. Everything she wanted to do cost $45 here $60 here hundred dollars there.I was miserable. I didn’t want to do any of the stupid stuff that was just money flush down toilet crapper because I work for Money. I was not trying to throw money away I was not trained to throw money away I am against throwing money away.

vacations are designed to throw money away.

So I told the girl here is all the money that I brought on this vacation for you to spend on the vacation. I have a problem wasting it on stupid stuff. But I like you. So I am going to give you all of my money. Here it is yours this is your money. Now let’s do whatever you want to the pressure is off for me.

She took my money. And then she turned into me. She did not want to waste the money either. So we went home she kelp all the money.

People don’t want to waste their money they want you to waste your money on them Or simple definition-vacation

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
My Dr. calls me to remind me that I need another appointment, because he has a car payment due.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,187 Posts
Fee should be based on vehicle weight divided by number of tires, with some kind of discount applied to the first car. Additional vehicles pay full price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fee should be based on vehicle weight divided by number of tires, with some kind of discount applied to the first car. Additional vehicles pay full price.
But I can only drive one at a time! Why should I pay anything extra, or anything at all, for simply having a vehicle available to use? For dino juice the answer is simple, tax the fuel more. The more you drive, the more you pay. Extra taxes on non-plugin hybrids is simply perverse - if they save fuel, they should be taxed less. The trouble is plug ins and how to make them pay their share - the logical, but unpalatable, solution is some form of road pricing. I suspect in time many governments will move this way as they seek to recoup lost fuel taxes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO the base fee should be the number of miles each individual vehicle drives each year, multiplied by the vehicle weight in tons.
Sounds good except that isn't how wear works IRL. There's a threshold of damage, so you end up with more of a curved graph. A certain amount of load/pressure/speed and something may essentially never wear. Exceed the threshold, and it accelerates exponentially, sometimes nearly instantly. Our cars do next to nothing and nearly all wear is from semis and work trucks.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If no cars get on any highway they will go bad in time because of heat rain and freezing ground. Unless they built them like the Romans. There’s never been a semi truck on my asphalt drive and it is in poor shape Even sunlight evaporates the volatiles in asphalt

·
Registered
749 Posts
If no cars get on any highway they will go bad in time because of heat rain and freezing ground. Unless they built them like the Romans. There’s never been a semi truck on my asphalt drive and it is in poor shape Even sunlight evaporates the volatiles in asphalt
The local ma roads republicans have stated that every man woman and child in the state owe a grand a year to maintain roads whether they drive or not. The trouble with this is that regressive fees attack the poor and drive non-compliance and legal costs.

The key problem to all this is that we like to ship everything quickly and although “aging” roads is a thing it means less than you would think depending on how the base under the road is made.

I have driven on roads that have never been repaved in 50 years and they were bumpy but drivable , others aren’t even 5 years old and nearly undrivable but the only difference is truck/semi traffic or lack there of

I believe in having reasonable use costs like gas tax for normal mortals and don’t care much about the rate, eliminating all fees on private cars under a particular class (2wd, manual transmission or EV/hybrid, under 5000lbs) making plates expensive but permanent and keeping high annual rates on commercial/ semi.

The rest of the shortfall should come out of general funds as they do today anyway.

This “fair share” nonsense costs an extraordinarily high amount to enforce with our current legal/ police state let alone attempting to track anything.

The simple act of Wisconsin updating software /hardware/ procedures to charge hybrid and EV registration fees is estimated to take 10 years of collections to repay the cost of upgrades.

All this means “we should “ be charging commercial closer to the actual cost of their damage, to avoid regressive taxes we should primarily fund shortfalls out of the general fund forcing government to properly budget, we should charge a small supply side tax due to incidental use (farm,construction, forestry, dock to stock sand haulers all pay nothing currently)
And lastly get rid of the failed system of annual plates on private cars, up north people simply don’t pay and down south poor folks bog the courts down wasting millions of dollars on enforcement.

The less complex and less individual checks needed the less cost, more efficient and more fair the system will be.

Forcing semi to pay closer to the damage they cause should drive business decisions to Become more efficient and hopefully grind up fewer roads even if your package is slower.

·
Linsight Designer
2,782 Posts
Sounds good except that isn't how wear works IRL. There's a threshold of damage, so you end up with more of a curved graph. A certain amount of load/pressure/speed and something may essentially never wear. Exceed the threshold, and it accelerates exponentially, sometimes nearly instantly. Our cars do next to nothing and nearly all wear is from semis and work trucks.
Then multiply by e^x or even by a power function.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
America is profusely wasteful. If you’re in the construction business dirt bulldozers excavators and dump trucks. And you get a government contract. You’re rich. They pay up to five times more than actual cost.

Whenever I get a job I’m working for someone else who has gotten the contract. And I work for A little more than cost and make pretty good money.

and I’ve seen some jobs where they want the work to be done close to natural when you get done with the job. And it’s like the government is burning money in 50 gallon drums throwing money away.

I think that there are super rich families in America that have most of the money. When there are children born to the family that are too stupid to take over the business. Those children become our congressman and Senators. That’s why you can buy illegal drugs anywhere junk food is legal in America most anything you want to buy comes from China. And if there’s any work to be done here in America that is frowned upon someone comes out from Mexico to do that.

The reason our cars don’t get 100 mpg The more gas you buy the more taxes you pay. And then they say there’s global warming. Let’s put 3000 pound batteries in huge trucks to save the planet. That Has to be stupid kids from rich families in control.

APTERA Would make sense efficient and all that and our president acts like the hummer is the way to go. They have to make special Made tires for the EV’s because they are so heavy. That will chew up the roads.
It’s like Tina Turner said what’s fair got to do got to do with it. What’s fair but just some second hand emotion

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I was on a job in the year 2000 or so. I did 95% of all work on the job I got paid $13,000 the person I was working for got paid over 100,000 he had the contract.

And there’s jobs that you get working for the railroad if you get the contract you get rich. Our government nobody is in control or watching what’s going on.

that’s just me on what I see. Especially in farming. Nobody cares to see what chemicals are being used properly or not if the people using them know anything at all about what they’re doing. It’s a house of cards.

We pay tax for law and order and the best illegal drugs you can buy are at the jail house being sold to the inmates. Women get their child support even if they’re in jail at the jail some of that money is used to buy dope.

So what does fair mean?

·
Registered
749 Posts
So what does fair mean?
currently in Wisconsin “Fair” means don’t tax commercial and ignore poor people up north not paying tax and imprison southern poor people without paying any attention to who is dangerous versus who is just an irritation and doesn’t belong

We have people with extended state paid stays over minor offenses like stealing gum but let folks go with a rap sheet of violence a mile long go home.

I think we can do slightly
possibly even much better than the current baseline as we are starting from zero

America is profusely wasteful.

I think that there are super rich families in America that have most of the money. When there are children born to the family that are too stupid to take over the business. Those children become our congressman and Senators.

The reason our cars don’t get 100 mpg The more gas you buy the more taxes you pay. And then they say there’s global warming. Let’s put 3000 pound batteries in huge trucks to save the planet. That Has to be stupid kids from rich families in control.
Scott Fitzgerald resembles your remark, his goal is to get his whole family in the state government, even though he has repeatedly proven to be incompetent instead of his constituents holding his nose to the grinder they pass him up to the federal government to cause problems there.

As to fuel economy our state republicans were trying to raise all city and highway speed limits because it would add 20% more revenue to the road fund,
after the first round of limit increases the freeway death rate doubled in 2019 and thankfully the police and DOT blocked the changes slated for city limits.

I am somewhat afraid to look at the last 2 years, half the cars on the road but they are all doing speed tests in school zones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in WV and pay $151 to renew my registration as opposed to a gas guzzler that only pays $51. Electric vehicles pay $300! This started last year. Other states have similar policies and I'm sure many Insight owners here live in those states. Just wondering if any of you in those states have found a way around this absurd policy?
Ohio is doing same thing on newer hybrids. I own a 2015 sonata hybrid; 2017 Lexus CT200h & a 2000 Insight mt. The insight is not assessed the fee. The claim they had to charge us more because they would not be collecting as much gas tax. Absolute horse do!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts