Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if this problem happen to anybody else?
Yesterday, My 3rd brake light was on, not full bright, but maybe 25-50% of its power. When I apply brake, it came 100% with 2 side brake light and when I release brake pedal, 3rd brake light still fade on.
I disconnect brake switch and no difference.
I reconnect brake switch and It finally go off after couple of minutes by itself.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
This seems like the "impossible" problem. The two taillights and the high taillights are all in parallel. The brake switch provides power to all three - at the same time.

It probably wouldn't take much current to light up the LED high stop light, while the other tow stop lights have filaments and would require more current, but this theory comes to a dead end. The filaments are in parallel so they essentially short the high light entirely.

I suspect mouse damage. It has happened a number of times. Remove the center console and examine C-502, it is the horizontal 24 pin light blue connector on the right and just in front of the gearshift. Look for damaged wires which might be touching. Look from liquid damage, like coffee spilled into the plug.:)

Reactions: AlainB7

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The side brake light are replace by LED.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
The side brake light are replace by LED.
I assume you are talking about the two main rear brake lights.

In any case, with brake light switch removed/disconnected, I don't see any way to get power to the high tail light. Am I correct that you actually disconnected the brake light switch and still get a lighted high stop light??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes. I disconnect brake switch and third light was still dimed on.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
OK, then I think you better start looking at wiring a connectors. Start with the ones I suggested:)

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Well, always go back to the last thing you changed. Pull out the LEDs and replace them with normal bulbs, See if that fixes the problem. If not maybe start looking at grounds.

Sam

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run my side brake LED bulb for more than 5 years.
They are on or off as normal.

Third brake lamp was always dime on yesterday and brake lamp on or off depending if I press brake pedal or not.

When I disconnect brake switch, side brake lamp was not working and third brake lamp was still dime on.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
If not maybe start looking at grounds.

Sam
Yeah, I've seen grounds cause all sorts of screwy symptoms, this doesn't seem to point to a ground issue, since all power is removed by disconnecting the brake light switch.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
When I disconnect brake switch, side brake lamp was not working and third brake lamp was still dime on.
This statement kinda shock me and I realized I had been wrong about the routing for the high brake light. Sorry.

It is routed along the RIGHT side of car(looking forward) and passes through the rubber gaiter between the roof and the hatch. My bet is still wiring damage. C701 is frequently corroded badly in older cars. It down low under the right side quarter panel cover. Easy to remove panel since it just uses push pins. If you took the panel off, you could inspect the connector and much of the wiring for rodent damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
RIGHT SIDE, RIGHT SIDE........

:mad: at myself.........

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought Scott helped address "side" confusion in another thread - check the wiring on the Starboard side.

Reactions: jime

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
I thought Scott helped address "side" confusion in another thread - check the wiring on the Starboard side.
Correct - starboard :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank’s a lot Jime.

It was the issue!

You can see in picture green corroded part that fall from connector.

There was corroded pin and a wire broke just by moving the connector.

IMG_8298.jpg

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8315.jpg

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_8324.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have to check again.

Now dome light is fade on when door are close and on when door is open with no key in ignition.

When I put key on, dome light is not fade on & on when I open door.

If I turn parking light on, side brake light came on and center brake is dime on.

IMG_8332.jpg

If I open a door, third brake is not dime on and side brake light stay on.

IMG_8331.jpg

If I press brake pedal, third light came full on.

If I turn parking light off, brake light is working as normal.

IMG_8341.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts