Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else using a hitch mount bike rack, and if so, have you noticed a drop in MPG? I've owned my I2 for about a month, and this weekend was the first time I used my hitch rack for a long trip. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed with my overall mileage. I should point out that I was driving in a hilly section of NC and VA, and I'm sure the hilly terrain also contributed to the poor mileage.

On a positive note, a hitch is super easy to install on the I2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No change for me

No change that I could notice with a trailer hitch. High speeds will show the biggest MPG hit, but I don't really drive much over 70 on the freeways, and most of the time I'm driving slower than that.

Earlier this summer I drive to Boulder from San Diego and back with a bike rack and 29er MTB. I got about the same 42 mpg is was getting without the hitch. The car has 10k on it now and mileage is a little better.

Eddie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to join in this conversation late. I just purchased a 2010 Insight and will be installing the Curt hitch. I also have the wiring harness that will allow me to use my car to tow a small, light utility trailer on occasion. I don't want to have to carry my garbage inside of my car. I can not locate any information on how to get the wiring done correctly. Can you please guide me or provide this information? Thanks, forum members! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts