Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an interesting news story about the Tesla home battery. Solar or house current charged.

A bit pricy now, but may come down with rise in customer demand.

Having seen a couple nice solar set-ups by some members here, this could be something a person with limited electrical abilities could go after.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Saw an interesting news story about the Tesla home battery. Solar or house current charged.

A bit pricy now, but may come down with rise in customer demand.

Having seen a couple nice solar set-ups by some members here, this could be something a person with limited electrical abilities could go after.
My wife mentioned that last night, I guess she saw it on tv. I wonder how these batteries stack up against other home batteries that run off of solar? I'd love to have something off grid better batteries would take solar to another level.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a single big one rates for 10 kwh. I wonder if that's 10 useable capacity ? My house averages about 22-25 per day, so during peak I'm guessing about 15 or so. I'd probably need 2. Payback would take a long time, especially since I'd be charging from the grid during off peak.

Interesting seeing them trying to market to the average homeowner.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I saw that too. Looks like a good deal if you use it for the batteries for other projects, maybe sell the inverter online to recoup some costs?

I had an idea to do something like thing, but there are losses in charging.

I have a whole house kilowatt meter and we use 400 watts idle. When the fridge, ac, hot water heater, etc turn on it goes up, but with 100 watts of solar we save about 50 bucks a month.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Heard about this on SciFri. It has the potential to address many problems. The electrical grid operates in a continuous fashion with no reserves. With gas or heating oil, you have a tank of it holding the excess. With power gen, there's no tank holding excess electrons... until now.

Utilizing something like this even on a non-solar home would serve to "smooth out" the demand. With batteries providing power during on-peak and recharging during off-peak, it smooths out the demand.

I expect the capacity is rated, no total. For survival during the 3,650 cycles of the warranty period, they are most certainly practicing partial charge/discharge akin to electric vehicles. Charging in this range is also much more efficient (near 100%).

I betcha this concept gets substantially cheaper when Elon's battery plant is running full tilt.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
It wouldnt be too difficult to put something together with off the shelf parts. As is many grid tie inverters work above resting voltages of typical battery configurations. This way the excess power can be used to back feed your home. Then when you need power flip on the inverter to draw from the battery.

Im just glad we do not have tiered rates. I could see using something like the Tesla system to supplement your day usage from charging at night during off peak time.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
AZ has option of tiered rates. Summer on-peak = ~3X off-peak.

Even w/o an Li-Elon (I'm taking credit for that) battery, we save about $250/year on our bill... a little over 10%... by using a programmable thermostat and not running appliances during peak hours...

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, with the tiered rates if you consume a lot of power, this is a no brainer and will easily repay for itself and then some.

Yes, our electric grid has no storage, it just pulls from another location. Many areas have back up and peak demand natural gas back up generators they use. Last resort is rolling black outs. :mad:

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about other areas, but around here our section of the grid (PJM) is expected to 'retire' more generation (over 26k MW) than is being built, with most of the retirements occurring by the end of 2015. By 2024, new generation is expected to be caught up.

PJM already imports from VEPCO during peak periods, not looking forward to seeing prices when supply dwindles even further.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Looks like it comes in a "backup" 10kwh rated for weekly cycling and a daily cycling version rated at 7kwh.

Probably the same battery with different firmware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
samwichse
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing