Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 500 mile road trip Saturday. Picked up a CVT Transmission with 62,000 miles on it and took my 9 y/o son to Six Flags Vallejo in CA.

While Merging onto the on ramp in Vallejo I noticed a person in the median. I saw a bunch of broken glass and objects on the ground, first thought was the remnants of an accident.

Then this upstanding California citizen starts throwing stuff at the car in front of me! Next thing I know he is throwing something at my car!!!. This was all within a few seconds.

I was thankful to get through that without a pry bar or some lethal object coming through my window.

Today I was washing the car which was covered in bugs especially the bumper. I noticed a paint defect as I have the pressure washer over the bumper. After drying it off I noticed 3 quarter sized clear coat defects in the top of the bumper and several dime size splotches on the bottom. Looks like brake fluid or some sort of caustic agent was dropped on it.

At first I was perplexed how this could of happened until I remembered my run in with this productive member of California.

Big bummer!!! But I’m thankful nothing happened to my Son in the passenger seat. California has unlocked the zoo and animals roam among us.

I was planning to paint the hood next Summer. Now I will have too and add the bumper too. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Comprehensive insurance will cover this.

Sam

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m too cheap for comprehensive insurance. One of the many reasons I like older cars.

Anyways I can paint that for $60 in materials, was already going after the hood anyways. Deductible on insurance would be more.

Just scary how “society” is “evolving”.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Yes, it really is. Too bad you went through there at the wrong time. Stuff like this stinks.

Sam

·
Registered
463 Posts
The current population of California is 39,747,267. To characterize the state on the basis of one out of 39,747,267 can be misleading.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
California is a great state with many productive and diverse people. I can’t imagine living elsewhere, I hope it stays that way.

Unfortunately our legislators have abandoned and neglected many mentally ill people and our own citizenry.

Crazy happens everywhere but we do have a homeless problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like that bumper was painted before. Clearcoat doesn't peel off like that on original paint.
I believe your right. The prior owner had the car painted after a fender bender. It was a poor quality job all the way around.

I priced out a paint job and figured I would would try a DIY first. I used rattle cans in my garage to paint the roof, roof mouldings, rear bumper, and front quarter panel. Used a 2K professional grade clear coat that came out great for $200.

As it was my first job I had a few mistakes that I had to correct along the way. I know the clear coat I applied is much more durable than that.

Anyway I’ll be taking the hood and bumper off for paint this summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The current population of California is 39,747,267. To characterize the state on the basis of one out of 39,747,267 can be misleading.
The current homeless population is approximately 150,000. That's one homeless for 266 housed folks. The bad news is they cluster together so there are thousands in each of a few urban areas. My car has a dent in the roof delivered by a hostile homeless man just walking in the middle of the road walloping vehicles proceeding past him.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The current homeless population is approximately 150,000. That's one homeless for 266 housed folks. The bad news is they cluster together so there are thousands in each of a few urban areas. My car has a dent in the roof delivered by a hostile homeless man just walking in the middle of the road walloping vehicles proceeding past him.
If this is not unique to California what is your point?

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
OK folks, this is getting close to political stuff. I don't like closing threads, but only a few of the posts were really on topic. This is a car site, not a political or religious site. Please cease political or quasi-political matter. There are other sites where such discussion is more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Honda Insight lounge,,I do agree politics and religion are both touchy subjects for some folks,,but yes please move it back to our cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts