Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first posting on the forum so far, though I have spent a lot of time reading posts that others make. The information available here is incredible; thank you for all the great advice!

I have a 2001 MT Insight with just over 200,000 miles. I bought it from the original owner two months ago for $500. So far, it's a great little car with no major issues.

After a couple of long trips, I decided I needed a center armrest--but I didn't want to buy one at a junkyard only to have it not fit just right. So, I made my own out of some aluminum pieces I had on-hand (they're legs from wheelchair ramps, discarded from my workplace).

The padded rest is just another aluminum leg, wrapped first in cardboard and then in foam. Some benefits to this design:

1. Ability to raise/lower padded rest depending on comfort
2. It just sits in place--no holes or other modifications were made to the interior
3. Since it's not actually mounted in place, the rest can swing toward or away from the driver. This was a happy accident, and allows me to push the rest away and shift gears without being crowded.

I realize this design can't be easily duplicated unless one has the same parts available; but I thought it'd be a good thing to show, in case others have the same issue and want to take a DIY route.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That's pretty ugly,,go with the 92 to 95 civic middle compartment arm rest,,fits perfect with minimal trim,,,gives you nice extra storage in middle,

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Looks like a great use of the materials at hand!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts