Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
30/37 mpg reported is comparable to Civic sedan 5spd numbers across the line (32/38 mpg). Not bad. 'Course it does cost about twice as much...

·
Registered
348 Posts
jsanford said:
I remember when REGULAR Accords got that kind of mileage.
Those REGULAR Accords were "simple" 4-bangers with 80 hp.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Or less! :) My 1980 Prelude was top of the heap at 83 HP, though it is hard to remember back that far, eh! :roll:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I recently drove my 1999 Civic SI from LA to San Diego, and got 47 MPG!!
The Insight really teaches you to drive more efficient. :wink:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
30/37 mpg reported is comparable to Civic sedan 5spd numbers across the line (32/38 mpg). Not bad. 'Course it does cost about twice as much...
How long until the sensationalized stories of irate owners only getting 26 MPG in their new Accord Hybrids???

No one will compare what they were getting in their previous vehicle, compared to EPA estimates.... oh, well...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___I drove an Accord EX-L I4 w/ Auto and NAVI about a month ago and using the NAVI trip computer’s instantaneous and segment readouts, I received a decent 44.3 mpg over a 28 mile round trip consisting of ~ 15 miles all-City and 13 miles of State/Interstate highway. It will be tough for an Accord Hybrid pilot to exceed what the I4 is actually capable of.

___An EX-L I4 w/ Stick/Auto is a much slower 8/9 second car vs. the 6 - 6.5 second Accord Hybrid of course but the std. I4 equipped Accord EX-L costs ~ $10,000 less and includes a powered sunroof. Another negative to the Accord Hybrid is that you can pick up a PZEV based Accord I4 from California, New York, Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts for an extra $135.00 or thereabouts which makes the ULEV based Accord Hybrid that much less desirable if you are looking at the greener aspects of owning a Hybrid. In other words, the Accord Hybrid will be a very tough sell for those studying the details. For those not considering all the variables, Honda appears to have a great third gen Hybrid and might actually sell a ton of them.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:x08dt46s][email protected][/email:x08dt46s]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Like someone is actually going to buy an Accord hybrid to save money or the environment? you are confusing them with Insight owners. Nah,.... luxury, smoothness, performance, cachet, range, uniqueness, exclusivity, high tech image, and exotic car performance. Just look at an Audi A8 and ask yourself if it makes any sense to purchase it from a bottom line perspective. :roll: The hybrid Accord is about image.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Like someone is actually going to buy an Accord hybrid to save money or the environment? you are confusing them with Insight owners. Nah,.... luxury, smoothness, performance, cachet, range, uniqueness, exclusivity, high tech image, and exotic car performance. Just look at an Audi A8 and ask yourself if it makes any sense to purchase it from a bottom line perspective. :roll: The hybrid Accord is about image.

I totally agree. They will buy it because it will be the most expensive Accord you can get, which will retain it's value better over time. Also I have a feeling they will be difficult to get at first to you'll see a lot of people wanting one just because they can't get one off the lot.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys:

___The AH won’t likely retain any more value then the others either. Take a look at Edmunds TCO for an Accord LX I4, EX I4, EX-L I4, EX-L w/ NAVI I4, EX-L V6, EX-L w/ NAVI V6 … It goes up and up and up :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2pcgv7u3][email protected][/email:2pcgv7u3]

·
Registered
65 Posts
xcel said:
Honda appears to have a great third gen Hybrid
Now that you have endorsed THIRD, are you finally going to stop calling Toyota's latest design SECOND?

If you want to be objective, you cannot use a double-standard. I am thrilled that I get a welcome reception here. Members have gladly exchanged their experiences to help draw an accurate picture, so I'm calling you on your past.

Just take a look at the battery-pack, an absolutely essential part of the hybrid system. It started as "D" cells back in 1997. In 2000, they were converted to the modular form-factor, energy-density was increased, while at the same time size & weight decreased. In 2003, energy-density was significantly improved, while at the same time overall voltage reduced and a step-up inverter added. That alone is enough to justify the generation step.

·
Registered
489 Posts
john1701a said:
xcel said:
Honda appears to have a great third gen Hybrid
Now that you have endorsed THIRD, are you finally going to stop calling Toyota's latest design SECOND?

If you want to be objective, you cannot use a double-standard. I am thrilled that I get a welcome reception here. Members have gladly exchanged their experiences to help draw an accurate picture, so I'm calling you on your past.

Just take a look at the battery-pack, an absolutely essential part of the hybrid system. It started as "D" cells back in 1997. In 2000, they were converted to the modular form-factor, energy-density was increased, while at the same time size & weight decreased. In 2003, energy-density was significantly improved, while at the same time overall voltage reduced and a step-up inverter added. That alone is enough to justify the generation step.
I'm confused - not only is Toyota's hybrid a completely different type of car, it's a completely different type of hybrid - so I think any "double-standard" is reasonable.

I'm not sure what specifically this is referring to, but it might be accurate to say that the Prius is a second generation full hybrid, whilst the Accord is a third generation mild hybrid.

Of course, I wouldn't say that, since old Prius/new Prius and Insight/HCH/Accord Hybrid don't really show enough advancement for me to consider it an entirely new "generation."

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi John. Good to hear from you. A Minneapolis friend contacted you and put down money on a Prius. Every hybrid that Toyota sells helps to sell the Hybrid concept in general and by extension helps to sell Honda hybrids too. ( example: Lakedude just bought a HCH as he didn't want to wait for a Prius.)

The new Prius is certainly third generation!!!! We never got to see the first geneeration. Similarly we have not seen the other hybrid models that Toyota sells in Japan. Five years work by 1,000 engineers is more than a few tweeks. Compact to mid sized, trunk to hatch back etc.

Honda may not seem to have changed that much on the surface, but trust me they are paddling just as hard under the surface. :D Going from a 3 cylinder to four and then six, going from 76 HP to 255, going from aluminum 2 seater full sized sedan........as a technologist I would say that they have gone through hundreds of revisions during testing an development, but lets just call it 3rd generation too.

Perhaps we should just say "latest". The only time I find it useful to talk about generations is when trying to impress upon nervous non technical folk that this is not something that new. No need to try and convince folk on this forum, as the vast majority already own a hybrid and some are second or third time offenders! Calling it latest will avoid future confusion when/if Honda produces another Insight. It would then be second generation Insight and perhaps 5th generation honda hybrid and perhaps 12th generation hybrid overall. Its enough to make me....nah, lets not go there.

Noting the Panasonic name on the Toyota F1 car, are the companies related somehow, other than Panasonic batteries in Toyota hybrids? (Hundai will make their own batteries for their coming hybrid.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts