Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HONDA CIVIC DIESEL HATCHBACK
1.7i CTDi SE 3dr

Searching for some info on the new Accord Diesel and I found out that in the UK a diesel civic is sold. I wish that had been an option when I bought my Insight :cry: The little civic is supposed to get 50+mpg which is just a few mpg less than the average Insight owner.

performance & economy
max. speed 113 (mph)
0-60 acceleration 11.30 (sec)

combined fuel economy 56.5 (mpg)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___I would only be concerned that the Civic diesel uses the same technology as the new 2.2 L iCDTi for the Accord Saloon. 0 - 62 mph in ~ 9.0 seconds and low 40’s on the EPA estimate extrapolated. Remember the Euro spec fuel economy combined is higher then the US EPA spec which is plenty high already …

___Your link came up blank for me?

___Imagine a 1.0 L iCTDi in an Insight or in the supposedly next generation CRX w/ it (the Diesel) instead of the Insight’s ICE … Side and side curtains, cruise, leather, heated and power everything including a sunroof … That would be very very nice ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1m9a8ibf][email protected][/email:1m9a8ibf]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
cakley said:
The little civic is supposed to get 50+mpg which is just a few mpg less than the average Insight owner.
First, that 56.5 mpg figure is unquestionably in Imperial gallons. 56.5 mpg (Imperial) = 47.0 mpg (US).

Second, the UK "combined" rating is not the same as the US EPA "combined" rating. The Honda Insight gets 69 mpg (US) from the UK "combined" test cycle, which is an additional 5mpg (6%) above its US EPA "combined" rating of 64 mpg (US).

So, correcting for US->Imperial conversions and the different test cycles, you could expect that Civic to be rated at 44mpg (47 * 64/69) combined by the US EPA.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Civic Diesel is based on an Isuzu engine. Put into the Civic to fill a gap more than anything else :roll:
Like the Civic in a whole......
Who needs a Civic looking like a shrunk MPV :roll:

Where's the sportiness of the late 80s early 90s Civics and CRXes...nice and low.
THAT's what a Civic should look like 8) .
And built in Japan too :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
For information, not surprisingly, the Civic Type R accounts for 50% of Civic sales.

Cakley, unfortunately you are missing out on lots of great small cars due to protectionist policies.
I was admiring a Smart Brabus the other day...

·
Registered
700 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
....you are missing out on lots of great small cars due to protectionist policies.
We know, we know... Although the Smart cars are on their way next year. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Holicow said:
The Silver Streaker said:
....you are missing out on lots of great small cars due to protectionist policies.
We know, we know... Although the Smart cars are on their way next year. :D

Miss out on a Smart..... :lol:
.....great car...... ..........:lol:
....admire a Smart......... :lol:

Geeeez, you're funny, Guys :shock:

The build quality of a Yugo is better than those vehicles......
In comparison they're not even that economical either !

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmm, unfortunately I think only the Smart Fortwo are coming to North America. Which is a shame, because I'd rather be shot in the stomach than be seen driving one. ;)

However, I ASSUME that "Smart Barabus" in this case refers to a Smart Roadster (a nice looking car) with Barabus accessories.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It also refers to the.......... "town-car" :lol:
Well, the small two door thing. You know which one I mean :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
smarts are a one-dog trick

the only advantage the smart has over other cars is parking. You won't get through traffic any faster because it's as wide as everyone else so when traffic is jammed up, so are the smarts. But even if the smart, the real one, not the four seater, were to be sold in the US, it would totally lose its advantage because in the US parking rules are strict. Try parking two or even three smarts in one of those huge parking space you see in the US and two of the cars, assuming three were there, would get ticketed for sure. Hence all american owners would end up with is a cute car that would generate lots of conversations.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From what little I can find on Smart, I thought that they are terribly under-powered cars; VERY slow acceleration, and a top speed that may not be highway-capable in some areas. I thought this was design to be more of a urban vehicle, and I don't know how well it would do in an environment that requires aggressive driving.

My only interest in the car is to have it finally converted to be an electric car like it was intended in the first place. I think at least one company is interested in taking on the job, according to what I've read from EVWorld.

If one wants a diesel with good looks and small footprint, I'd go for the MINI One-D instead...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___With the Accord 2.2 iCDTi breaking records in Europe like no other stock automobile has in a long time, a 1.0 - 1.3 L Honda designed iCDTi Diesel in a Civic would be a slam dunk for 0 - 60 in 10 seconds and 80 - 100 mpg + ULEV type emissions. Now if Honda just gets on it for us American’s. Just make sure it’s here about the same time we get LSD/ULSD in 2006/2007 and I will be a very happy camper! The Smart is a complete joke by comparison to the Accord and will be against a Civic iCDTi as well possibly?

___Windmill, that was your 2.2 L iCDTi link from Vtec, right?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:uxm81ngn][email protected][/email:uxm81ngn]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts