Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,347 Posts
Why doesn't the CHRG/ASST bar graph work?
Looking good. Maybe my next vehicle will be a CRZ.

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Absolute power corrupts, y'know... ;]

Reactions: retepsnikrep

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I now have proportional control working with an analog joystick and a video screen for data display ;)

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The 'CAN IMAC&C' prototype 60x45mm pcb is done and being ordered tomorrow. (y)

Fits in a standard Hammond abs box..

Schematic attached...

Now to build it and make it all work...... :eek:

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It looks like you might be able to swap in a later 15kw OEM CR-Z Lithium pack into an early 10kw OEM Nimh CR-Z car if you want a quick upgrade.. (y)

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm now working on a 30kw CR-Z Frankenstein IMA pack using Nimh and Lithium OEM parts and a big Lithium pack.

If you are bored here are a few videos for info.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
All very interesting. I'll be watching closely as you go through the Orion integration. I'm now at point of doing my V3.0 LTO which will include the Orion - hopefully :unsure:

The Orion GUI interface doesn't look terribly complex, but then again I'm not too savy;)

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I now have my Frankenstein setup in the car working at 25kw and around 180V...

It's a thrown together jumble of Nimh and Lithium CR-Z parts with some 72S LTO blocks as a simple test battery.

I'm going to look at using an HCH2 IPU module and DC-DC to see if i can make them work at 210V by adding another 30V half LTO block.

I already know the HCH2 DC-DC works at upto 220V and the HCH2 Civic nominal is ~158V..

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have now tried this battery swap in the other direction and it works.
Nimh into a Lithium car... LOL
You could even put a Lithium CR-Z pack straight into a G2 Insight!!!

All details on the CR-Z forum.

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The CR-Z and Civic Lithium cars suffer from very expensive BMS board failures.

Often associated with a P0B3B code...

I'm working on building a bench tester for these boards and packs.

It basically talks to the BMS boards in CR-Z and Civic Lithium packs on the bench/in the car.

Helps identify faulty boards and check pack status if held in storage etc.

It has a single white harness connector to talk with all 4 packs at once or 4 x grey individual board connectors.

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Having looked at a failed BMS A board and finally being able to do some live pack measurements I can see the LTC 6003G-2 chip voltage reference is off by over a volt on one of the two chips.

It's supposed to 3.065V but on a failed board it was over a volt lower.
This causes the board to read much higher with the actual cell voltages.

The only thing I can realistically change in an effort to fix it is the 1uf bypass capacitor on the VREF pin. (C60 Marked with the red blob)

There is a very slim chance it is faulty (partially failing short circuit) and overloading the pin's 100k drive impedance capability dragging it down. Fingers crossed the laser eye surgery and steady hand pays off.. :rolleyes:

The ref on the other chip (C57) and and my known good boards were all around 3.065V.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

[Edit..] Changing the 1uf bypass cap did not fix the problem so looks like it is an internal VREF failure in the LTC chip. Time for the parts bin!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Sounds like you might be getting some surface mount hot air work practice - two bad boards yield one good one.

If I recall correctly, that's the same chip (U2) as on the board you sent me. So it's possible that something about the design is causing U2 to fail.

So if it is a design flaw, what are the chances that Honda already knows about it and has already addressed it in a later version of the module? How to determine that?

And if not, how to identify the design flaw and correct it so it doesn't fail again (if possible without a complete rework?) What could be going on in the circuit to cause the internal voltage reference to get cooked? Why is it low and not just gone? That's a clue too. I guess the first step is to come up with a schematic. (I have a partial one somewhere in a notebook that I can't find!)

Perhaps we need to get @mudder into a CRZ. Or me, maybe - how much is a CRZ with a dead IMA going for? like I need another car LOL

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Changing the 1uf bypass cap did not fix the problem so looks like it is an internal VREF failure in the LTC chip. Time for the parts bin!
Feel free to send me the PCB if you aren't equipped to replace the LTC6803... I can easily do so and then send it back to you. This would be a one-time deal, for your continued troubleshooting. Obviously if you KNOW the LTC6803 is the problem, then no need for me to do that work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts