Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so, my Insights transmission has bitten the dust. I am wanting to know if someone can give me some information on the CVT Transmission. The information I am wanting to know is as follows:

1.Is there any reliable diagrams on the CVT Transmission (parts, how it connects to the engine, etc etc)

2. I am wanting to know if I can get the CVT Transmission out without having to take the entire engine out. I do not have the tools to take the engine out. Also, what all is attached to the CVT Transmission that would need to be taken out in order to take out the CVT Transmission to replace it?

3. Is there anywhere that has reasonable pricing when it comes to Honda Insight parts? I have seen a lot of obscenely high priced parts. This also includes the cost of the CVT Transmission. I am wanting to get the car back up and running, but not at the cost of an arm and a leg. My situation is not the best because funds are tight when it comes to massive purchases.

4. Lastly, any additional information that can be used to help in making this suck less than it already does, would be extremely appreciated. This is obviously a large undertaking that I am wanting to do, if I can do it at all. All information helps.

Thanks for the time. I look forward to seeing what kind of scenario I am working with and if this will even be a possible endeavor. I don't own any other vehicles, so this is decently important to get taken care of.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a CVT that is possibly ready for a trans too. It slips a little at engaging drive but solid after that. From what I’ve read, these are not rebuildable, nor is it an easy swap to manual, motor mount position is different apparently. So your option is to find a parts car with a good trans.
Others will post. I’m thinking it’s been covered in previous threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
you can remove it without removing the engine. No idea where you're located, but there's a CVT in Lavernge Tennessee at a salvage yard. you'll have to pull it yourself, but it will be cheap.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
TMYK, what are the symptoms? Did it throw codes or blink the D light?

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, from what I have seen, they are not rebuild-able due to the nature of the inner workings of the CVT Transmission. If it is starting to slip, it might be close to breaking like this one did. I haven't identified exactly what happened to it and won't until I get it out. All I do know right now is that something broke, it has been making a grinding noise for a bit and I couldn't figure out why until it finally broke. The symptoms are that it is now completely drained of Transmission fluid and it is unlikely to not hold any anymore. The leak is that significant. From what I have figured out now is that I will need to replace the CVT Transmission entirely. Further information indicates that you do not want ones that are not furbished or mostly new, the CVT Transmissions are only supposed to last somewhere around 90,000 miles at most. This would point to me thinking that getting ones from salvage or from another vehicle without knowing it's age or mileage. This makes this a very tricky scenario.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*This would point to me thinking that getting ones from salvage or from another vehicle without knowing it's age or mileage is not the best idea

Didn't finish that sentence. Sorry for double posting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow. Mine has 208k. I hope it doesn’t break but it is what it is. Hopefully it will last till summer. Or...I put my brake lines on my manual and get her back on the road. Financially I’m over my head. Way over my head. If it breaks I’m in deep water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Mine has 208k. I hope it doesn’t break but it is what it is. Hopefully it will last till summer. Or...I put my brake lines on my manual and get her back on the road. Financially I’m over my head. Way over my head. If it breaks I’m in deep water.

Yeah that is kind of where I am sitting right now when it comes to getting this taken care of. Mine had over 200k miles as well. Just a few thousand over, actually. I hope yours doesn't have any issues any time soon. It is definitely financially hard, really hard due to how uncommon these cars are and how hard it is to find parts for it. I love my car though, so, I am going to have try everything I can to keep my lovely car going. May sound silly, but I love my little car. I have manually replaced the IMA battery (that was a fun endeavor). Lots and lots of work, but that is the nature of big car endeavors. I'll over come this somehow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Possibility the flex plate splines worn off, and could repair with new flex plate.
If repaired, make sure to replace round transmission filter and strainer as these
tend to get overlooked. Online parts locator for transmission if needed based on
your location. Worst case scenario will be about $500 for replacing it, not including
your labor.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Themoreyouknow:
Please include your Location in your Profile,

·
Registered
137 Posts
TMYK and Saxjonz I got a question. You both are having cvt issues... did you guys change the tranny fluid regularly? If so at what interval? Ever change the filters?

I just put 100,000 miles miles on my car since I got it, It's now sitting at 228,000 miles. Original CVT as far as i know. My tranny seems to be in good working order except It actually bucks pretty bad when you first take off but only when the weather is say... 20 degrees or colder. However once it warms up the tranny takes off from a start fine.

I have changed my 2 tranny filters and I change the tranny fluid every 15k miles.

Has anyone else encountered poor cvt performance in really cold weather?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ok, yes. Cold weather makes my trans slip a bit. I can’t comment on previous fluid changes, although fluid looked nice n clean and car was taken care of, I changed out recently and noticed it helped. My ima is done, I’m having cooling issues, she’s getting me to work so far. If trans goes I’m parking and going to completely swap the engine for a fit or...k.
I’m not thinking trans will last much longer. It slipped at light today and made a little clunk/crunch after warmed up so I am concerned.
I’m one hundred percent sure that regular fluid changes increases the longevity of trans.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Possibility the flex plate splines worn off, and could repair with new flex plate.
If repaired, make sure to replace round transmission filter and strainer as these
tend to get overlooked. Online parts locator for transmission if needed based on
your location. Worst case scenario will be about $500 for replacing it, not including
your labor.
I forgot to mention that there are magnets clipped in to the east and west
ends of the transmission pan. These need to be removed and cleaned as
well. They tend to have a lot of residue and build up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts