Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a not insight (or even a driving licence) owner but i'm doing my big school project about the honda insight and how its so energy efficient. In my country there isn't too much information on the car. but my question is if someone that owns a G1 Honda insight can take a picture from the front of the car that shows the staggered wheel setup. I can't find a good picture on google for it. of course i will blurr out the licence plate and you will be credited in my source list.

If you want to know which things i talk about in the research paper. i can try to explain it in the thread. (it is written in dutch as i'm dutch)

Any help is good help
Greetings
Bryan van Esterik

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Hi Byron,

Great project. I don't have pictures you ask for and maybe not the best way to illustrate the stagger. The Insight encyclopedia has scale drawings which illustrate the stagger, along with tons of other Insight information. If you are writing a project paper it would have other great uses. Look here:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I know I've seen an image or two around here that illustrated the offset tracking... Not sure where though.

Meantime, you might find some good, interesting pics to use for your paper in this thread, which is about a cutaway version of the Insight:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies i really appreciate it, the reason why i want a picture showing the staggered wheel setup is because the people grading my paper probably never seen the car in real life as it has only been sold twice in the netherlands of what i could find. if some of you guys have other information on the car (which i can't find online) i will ask (should i make a new thread for that or just put it in here?)
one of the questions is if someone has a source where i can find the volume of the compression stroke of the insight. as i need it for the calculation of the engine bore and stroke. any help is very appreciated.
again many thanks for the replies
Greetings
Byan van Esterik

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thanks for all the replies i really appreciate it, the reason why i want a picture showing the staggered wheel setup is because the people grading my paper probably never seen the car in real life as it has only been sold twice in the netherlands of what i could find. if some of you guys have other information on the car (which i can't find online) i will ask (should i make a new thread for that or just put it in here?)
one of the questions is if someone has a source where i can find the volume of the compression stroke of the insight. as i need it for the calculation of the engine bore and stroke. any help is very appreciated.
again many thanks for the replies
Greetings
Byan van Esterik

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
From the 2000 Insight Owner's Manual,

bore=72mm
stroke=81.5mm
displacement=996cc

Ref: Insight - 2000 Owner's Manual, p234

All six years of the 1st Generation Insight have the same engine and IMA system.

Wikipedia also has some information on the Insight.

Wikipedia has some information on the Insight

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
I can't imagine that a photograph is ever going to properly illustrate the front/rear stagger - and I'm a photographer. There will just be too much photographic distortion, unless someone could turn the car on its side and make a photograph of the bottom of the car.

This section from the Insight encyclopedia has the actual dimensions of the front and rear track (wheel spacing):

If you just want some general pictures of the Insight, there are many on the internet, available with a google search :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you are interested in the staggered track dimensions and its effect om aerodynamic drag, you should also have a careful look at the Citrone Diesse(?) sedans from the 1950s and 60s. Very low drag and highly effecient.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
He is writing a paper on the Insight,?
Dale:
Please include your Location in your Profile as ALL G1 Insighters have done..
Thank You.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sadly i can't use wikipedia as a source as its not trustworthy (by my school standards) as for other websites i am logged into the honda R&D development paper site for more stuff. its my biggest source as most of the engine and transmission stuff is displayed there. i'm almost done with the main part of the paper. i still need to look at it as a whole. again thanks everybody that commented

Greetings
Bryan van Esterik

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's a photo of my car from above showing its efficient shape. BTW I also had a Citroen DS (proving once crazy, always crazy)

Here's a line up showing the stagger (you guys who answered earlier saying it's impossible to show in a photo have no imagination) Line it up with the bricks and violá.

Other side, taken at the same time. Clearly a staggered track front to rear

Cheers,

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts