Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/ER2005.pdf

This is a link to a very interesting manual Honda put out about safety when rescuing people from a hybrid car in an emergency.

On page fifteen, it shows the different main components of the Honda Insight. One of which, are THREE fuel lines. The Accord hybrid and the Civic hybrid only have one. I have never heard of a car with more than one fuel line, and I don't see anything on insightcentral about it.

Any ideas? :?:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
In my opinion, you are being misled, possible by the artist who drew the pictures.
ALL fuel injected engines have at least two fuel lines, one for the "feed" and one for the return "excess" pressure to the gas tank. Possible the third one goes to the "evap. canister".

Willie ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Willie Williford said:
In my opinion, you are being misled, possible by the artist who drew the pictures.
ALL fuel injected engines have at least two fuel lines, one for the "feed" and one for the return "excess" pressure to the gas tank.
I hate to nitpick, but many newer cars are going to a returnless system. The pressure regulator is located on the pump module in the tank, and the there is only one feed up to the fuel rail(s).

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Acording to the service manual p 11-172...The Manual Transmission model has three lines from the tank to the engine.

1. Fuel feed line
2. Fuel return line
3. Fuel vapor line

The CVT has two lines:

1. Fuel feed line
2. Fuel vapor line

The MT has a fuel pressure regulator in the front engine area and the CVT has the pressure regulator near the gas tank so that probably explains why the MT needs one more fuel line.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Willie, you are correct. Two of the lines ar connected from the fuel tank to the fuel injection assembly the other line travels from the large evaporative canister ( located near the fuel tank) to the engine area, presumably to a venturii.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think that Aaron is correct with the CVT model and Willie is correct with the Manual transmission model. :)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Here is a scan of page 11-172 of the service manual. (when clcked, the image may appear small to fit in the browser window - but it can be expanded so it is more readable) It appears to me that there is a difference between the two models. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel Pump - same unit in CVT as in Manual Trans?

So ... I have a 2001 Insight with a CVT (if it makes a difference) and thanks to a tank of five year old gas the fuel pump died. So I went to a wrecking yard with a parts Honda Insight of unknown year and harvested its fuel pump assembly.
Today I disassembled my Insight and saw (gasp) that it does NOT have a fuel return line. There's only one fitting on the assembly, unlike the used one I got which has supply & return lines. So ... I thought as the two assemblies look very similar, I'll just disassemble them and move the fuel pump from one to the other. Except that the two pumps have different part numbers, while otherwise being identical. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm probably going to throw caution to the wind and swap the two, but I thought I'd ask here tonight in the hopes that someone chimes in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
check and make sure the connectors are the same as every parts source lists 2 different pumps depending on trans. Also looking at the 2 pumps it appears that maybe the check valve on the pump outlet is different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts