Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought and installed a horn on my 2011 insight and it was simple but the horn connector cable was too short and I had to install the horn facing the incorrect direction. Is there any place where I can buy an extension for the horn connector so I can install it facing the correct direction?

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Any reason you can't just splice in a couple of wires to make the harness longer?

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reason you can't just splice in a couple of wires to make the harness longer?

Sam
What does that mean? Sorry. I honestly have no knowledge about cars or electronics/wires. I even had trouble removing the bumper cover off my insight. Could I go to the Honda dealership and would they "splice th wires" for me?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Nice video. I was thinking about butt connectors. Google it.

This is not something you would want to take to a dealer. If you can remove a bumper cover you can splice a wire. Or maybe you have a friend who can help you.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice video. I was thinking about butt connectors. Google it.

This is not something you would want to take to a dealer. If you can remove a bumper cover you can splice a wire. Or maybe you have a friend who can help you.

Sam
Well, I watched the video and I still don't get how to do it and I don't have friends that know how to work on cars. What should I do? Go to a car mod shop?

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Smoke, you've shown an interest in learning how to work on your car by installing the horn yourself. Extending the wire is a simple basic process.

You can get a cheap kit with the connectors and tool at any parts store. Then cut the wire(s) going to your horn. Leave some length to work with. Strip the insulation using your new crimp tool. Add a section of new wire the length you need between the cut sections. Wrap with electrical tape. Reconnect the horn. Done.

We'll be happy to give technical support if you need it.

Does the horn work facing the way it is? If so, why not just leave it alone?

If you're dead set on getting somebody else to do it for you, I'd look for a small independent shop where the guy has time to talk to you. It should take him at least 5 minutes to do it.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smoke, you've shown an interest in learning how to work on your car by installing the horn yourself. Extending the wire is a simple basic process.

You can get a cheap kit with the connectors and tool at any parts store. Then cut the wire(s) going to your horn. Leave some length to work with. Strip the insulation using your new crimp tool. Add a section of new wire the length you need between the cut sections. Wrap with electrical tape. Reconnect the horn. Done.

If you're dead set on getting somebody else to do it for you, I'd look for a small independent shop where the guy has time to talk to you. It should take him at least 5 minutes to do it.

Sam
Can you give me a link on what kind of kit I should get? And what kind of wire is the one that goes to the horn? Is it just a basic power wire? "Add a section of new wire" what kind of wire should I buy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sam
The horn does work facing the way it is but if I face it the correct direction, I think it will be more noticeable to other drivers as the sound will actually be directed towards them. Also, after I cut the wire, which side of the wire should I strip the insulation from? The removed part or the attached part? And how far down from the connector should I cut?

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
I would cut it in the middle of the available length. Then strip about 3/8" of the insulation on both sides. If there are two wires going to the horn you'll have to do both of them. Then cut a piece of new wire (two if needed) and strip both ends of that. Then connect the new wire in the middle of your cut harness with the butt connectors, connecting the car end of the wire to the horn end of the wire, making it longer. Then move the horn to where you want it and plug it back in.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
The "engine compartment" is like an echo chamber. I really don't that it would make much difference which way the horn is facing, unless it was directly at an obstruction.
Some horns are actually facing "down" to keep possible water out.
(My opinion)

HTH
Willie
Sounds like you need a "show and tell" session.(Training)
Any other Insighters in your area?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would cut it in the middle of the available length. Then strip about 3/8" of the insulation on both sides. If there are two wires going to the horn you'll have to do both of them. Then cut a piece of new wire (two if needed) and strip both ends of that. Then connect the new wire in the middle of your cut harness with the butt connectors, connecting the car end of the wire to the horn end of the wire, making it longer. Then move the horn to where you want it and plug it back in.

Sam
So, there isn't any place online where I could just buy an extension? And what kind of wire should I use to put in the middle ?

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
What does the horn plug look like? How many terminals? Pictures?

You just need a wire about the same size as the one on the car. It's probably 18 gauge. It'll be at the parts place near the butt connectors. You'll probably need the red ones. None of this is exact science.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What does the horn plug look like? How many terminals? Pictures?

You just need a wire about the same size as the one on the car. It's probably 18 gauge. It'll be at the parts place near the butt connectors. You'll probably need the red ones. None of this is exact science.

Sam
i just thought oouldnt i just buy something like this? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/AC_Delco/Horn/ACE1905E.html
on the left side of the first picture, it looks like a metal extender so i would be able to install the horn the correc direction with enough slack.

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Sure. Go for it. One end has to be configured to plug into the connector on the car and the other end has to be configured to plug into the connector on the horn. I've never seen under the hood of a G2. Please send a picture of what you have now.

Sam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts