Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the Honda Insight is the most fuel efficient gasoline car in the world. I follow the car industry pretty rigirously, and I don't know of any gas car that gets better mpg! I know there are a handful of diesels in Europe that outdo the Insight, but I'm talking about gasoline cars here, not diesel.

Is the Insight still the gasoline sipping champion, or has another car tooken its place? :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Most fuel efficient production car, though limited production ....

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Which are the diesels in Europe that have better fuel economy than an Insight?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know of the Audi A2 and the VW Lupo in Europe that are supposed to get better fuel-economy than an Insight, but I ahve never seen official numbers.

It's good to hear that the Insight still is the world's most fuel-efficient gasoline car. Who here bets that Insight II will outdo its older sibiling! :D

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That's certainly better than what I average in my Insight - 3.3l/100km or about 86mpg (imperial). That's lower than the official rating in Australia (3.6l/100km) so I assume that the Audi - driven well - could do even better than its rating.

I love my Insight - but it is time that the fuel efficiency "crown" was passed to a newer model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Messerschmitt KR2000

The wkikpedia entry for the honda insight has a link to the entry for this 3-wheel, 10 hp car produced in the 1950s and 1960s that reportedly got 87mpg.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Messerschmitt KR2000

... 3-wheel, 10 hp car produced in the 1950s and 1960s that reportedly got 87mpg.
Are they talking about that German Messerschmitt, a two seater? Saw one of them once back in the late fifties when I was a kid. It was so wierd looking it got everybodys attention but as I unerstand it, there were still some very hard feelings even then and the cars never sold very well at all.

As for 87 MPG, I've done that half a dozen times around here just this year alone ... unfortunately I just don't do it all the time.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
685 Posts
Seems to me that mpg standards become less useful as one deals with vehicles that are highly fuel efficient. The reason is that for these vehicles mpg becomes more sensitive to speed, terrain, weather conditions, driver skill and "style", etc.

Isolating just one factor, weather: over the past year my tanks ranged from lows in the 67-68mpg range last winter (and a 56mpg one during a torrential rain and high winds!) to several at 96mpg this summer. Same driver, mostly my normal daily commute, mostly same speed. Average LMPG is currently 77mpg (ca 3.0L/100km) for 20K miles. Other people record higher and lower numbers for the MT.

With that much sensitivity what is the "true" mpg of a MT Insight?

The EPA and European test numbers are intended to provide "some" basis for comparison of vehicles because they result from defined test protocols, but only "some" basis.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
To my knowledge the Honda Insight is the world's most efficient petrol / gasoline production car and the Audi A2 :cough: (the 3L / 1.2TDI version) is the world's most efficient diesel production car. Both cars have alot in common:

Both considered to be ahead of their time
Both did not sell in big numbers
Both came out around the millenium and are no longer produced
Both utilise 3 cylinder engines
Both are constructed with aluminium

However the Audi A2 seats four (or five) rather than two.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The manufacturers claim that the A2 delivers an average of 45 mpg"

"we found that, driven frugally, the A2 can easily give an mpg rating in the low 60s."

"With carbon dioxide emissions of only 144g/km"

From the article someone gave to me from above. These numbers sound more realistic. But it is to note that the article also says that the A2 is the world's first mass-produced all aluminium car and has a drag coefficient of drag of just 0.25! It sounds just like the Insight's bigger, and older, brother. :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Opps. I just made a mistake. The 45mpg is for the gas version. The diesel gets 65mpg! 45 did sound a little low...

Here are the specs:

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/showp ... /audi.html

If you go onto the UK Audi website you can find used Audi A2s. There, they give some info too.

I'm assuming these mpg numbers are in Imperial gallons though. and since the car is old, the numbers are old too. Does anyone know if the way they rate mpg has changed in the UK recently. (The same way it did in the U.S.)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
For the record the UK imperial figures (which haven't changed) are as follows:

Honda Insight - 83MPG, 80g CO2
Audi A2 1.2 TDI - 95MPG, 81g CO2 (was only available in continental Europe)
and Audi A2 1.4 TDI - 65MPG, 119g CO2.

HTH!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To "The Citrus Smoothie," I see that you own a Honda Insight and an Audi A2! :)

In your driving, how do the two cars compare? Overall performance? MPG? And in photos, the A2 and the Honda Insight seem to be about the same size, despite the fact that the A2 can seat 2 (optimistically 3) more people. How do they compare in size?

Also, does anyone know of any gov't websites, from Europe, that give the mpg of the cars there. I found http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/index.asp
but they seem to list everything but the cars I want to see :? i.e. Honda Insight, Audi A2, VW Lupo ect.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi jat1793, I won't go into a discussion about other cars here on the Insight Forum but will PM you separately.

However I have found the same problem with car listings - they only ever concentrate on cars available to buy new. This is a bit frustrating when a large proportion of private buyers choose used cars. In this particular instance, large numbers of buyers will be missing out on information on the most fuel efficient vehicles that they might be able to own.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
After saying that above, I had a quick scour of the internet and came across this UK site which rates UK supplied cars by how 'green' they are or by CO2 emissions. The top ten lists are for cars available now, but there is also a section to look up older cars. The Honda Insight scored a good '27' which is the best score I can find apart from all-electric cars. Check it out here:

http://www.whatgreencar.com/index.php

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Citrus - I would be intereseted in your comparison too - could you please post?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Citrus for the link, but I can't find your PM you sent me though.

I found out that the way they rate mpg in Europe was changed in 2004 (to make it more realistic)

Maybe the mpg ratings for the Audi A2 and the VW Lupo are overrated then? Comparing mpg from cars in the US and in Europe, after changing from imperial US gallons, it looks like they updated the old ratings from before 2004 to reflect the new ones. It is also to note that the current mpg ratings in Europe seem to be as optimistic as the old mpg ratings in the US. (Honda Insight mpg ratings is almost exactly the same as the old mpg rating in America)

But...I coudln't even find the super high-mpg version of the Lupo or the Audi A2. The ratings for both of them were high, but nowhere near the 60-70mpg you hear.

Maybe the Honda Insight is the champion of them all! :D

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
jat1793 said:
Thanks Citrus for the link, but I can't find your PM you sent me though.
That's because I haven't written it yet! I will try to find the time tomorrow and copy it to Ghillie.

On the website link above it does not quote the 3L/100km versions of the A2 and Lupo as they were not sold in the UK, only in mainland Europe. The website also quotes its green rating for cars, not their MPG. However the MPG figures I have previously quoted are accurate and have not changed since they were first issued. It is quite possible the calculation method might have changed in 2004, I don't know either way. HTH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts