Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the 2004 Toyota Prius? How do you think that it compares to the Honda Insight? Does anyone own here own both a Honda Insight and a Toyota Prius? I heard that this car can run up to 20 mph on per electricity. Also that when Toyota made the car they sacraficed mpg to put a bigger engine in the Prius since so many Prius owners complained about the car not accelerating that fast. No matter how much Toyota may try they will never beat the Honda Insight as it is still the most fuel efficient car in the world.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Personally, the Insight is exactly what I want and need. I don't need 2 extra seats that will hardly ever be filled and I wanted the higer MPG and a 5 speed.

If I had kids I would have opted for the Prius 2, I like it's looks over the Civic hybrid.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I feel the same as ext1jdh

But I want to add that I really wanted the Aluminium car. I bought mine in 2000 and I wanted to keep my first hybrid, next century car, forever.

It will always be my "priceless" collector car that I use in all seasons and all weather.

It would not be as easy with a steel car like the Prius. Rust is on the way for them !!

Maybe this is why you previously wrote that you really wanted to buy a Delorean?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Yves:

___I might be wrong but I thought the Prius had an aluminum hood and rear hatch? Not nearly the aluminum content of our little beauties of course but you have to give the average Prius owner(s) something to talk about ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3k7fk99x][email protected][/email:3k7fk99x]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Comparing an Insight with a Prius is like comparing a Mazda Miata with a Mazda 6.
Both these cars are in different catagories designed for different purposes.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I test drove a 04 Prius. In all honesty if you wanted a 5 passenger car is probably about the most practical one out there. The hatch back design makes it great for lugging stuff around, with the back seats folding down you can fit a small ladder in there if needed. The drive system is much improved, yeah 60mpg city is a little far fetched for what people will actually get, but it's still going to get far better mileage than anything else mid sized.

Impressions: I like the interior, the seats are very comfortable and supportive, both front and back and has a very futuristic feel to it. The screen is subjective to your own opinon, but is kind of neat considering the option of DVD navigation and certain aftermarket possibilities. The controls would take a little getting used to though, but I think the voice activation would make it easier once learned.

Driving is very nice and quiet for the most part. Biggest two complaints, when the engine revs a lot it's rather harsh and my first turn no half thinking about it produced a lot more body roll than I expected. Guess I got used to the Insight.

Overall my test drive consisted of a mile to the freeway, getting on the freeway for a mile (not the most efficient thing ever) then getting off and a mile back got me 55mpg in a car that wasn't even broken in yet so for such a large vehicle one can't complain. No doubt the Insight is the mileage king and always will be.

The Insight deffinitely wins in the fun factor hands down. With the way it handles and the 5 speed fun you can deffinitely never get that from a Prius, though they do have a good bit of umph going now with 295 ft lbs or torque :shock: As far as rust yes any steel car may eventually be subjected to it, however, automotive coating technologies have gotten better in recent years. Rust through warranties have gotten pretty generous with certain manufacturers. The thing I would be most concerned about with a Prius is the added million moving parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2001 Insight CVT and my parents have 2004 Prius 2 (package 9). Since I live with them I use the car quite a bit.

I prefer the Insight, but I'm like most of the freaks here and drive in 100* weather with no AC on to squeeze out the best mileage possible. The insight gets MUCH better highway mileage while the Prius gets marginally better city mileage.

Only quam with the prius is that the dash collects dust like no car i've ever seen. And because it's a rough surface (unlike the insight's smooth surface) it's extremely difficult to clean. You can't just run a towel over it and be done.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Given that this is an Insight forum you are likely to find biased opinions here.

Comparison:
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/compare/prius.html

Note that this is for the old (2001-2003) Prius, not for the new (2004) Prius.

I looked at old Prius when considering my Insight purchase and it did not have a chance. It would still not have a chance today versus Insight, but new Prius might.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris:

___If I were to purchase a new hybrid today, I would pick a Package 1 Prius II. The big word is “if”. 1. You cannot find a Prius w/ the few options to make it affordable/cost effective and 2. For the excess cost, you can purchase a far better handling, higher performance, more comfortable riding, larger in most internal and external dimensions, quieter on the highway, PZEV based Camry LE or for a bit more sportier feel, PZEV based Accord LX (both with the 4’s) for thousands less. You will have a very tough time justifying the excess initial costs of the Prius II in fuel cost savings under any circumstances.

___With that being said, Rick Reese and family owns a 2000 Insight 5-speed, an 01 Prius, and an 04 Prius package #9. I believe he might be in Europe right now as I have not heard from him in a bit but if he is around, I am sure he can give you a great behind the wheel overview as well as comparison between all 3.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:17qa6f68][email protected][/email:17qa6f68]

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too have a father with a second generation Prius and I of course have the 5 speed Insight. My only opinion on the subject is that I love both cars for different reasons. The main reason I love the Prius is its ability to travel using electric motor only. The main reason I love my Insight is its high fuel efficiency. I can consistently get 55 MPG when driving the Prius and also consistently get within a couple miles per gallon of the EPA estimates for city/highway respectively with my Insight. To clear one detail up however, the 2004 Prius will travel at 40 MPH on electic motor only.
~Martin
Sora
Recycled 2000 5 Spd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts