Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would like some feedback regarding the Honda Insight 2011.
I am considering to buy it second hand. The car has 48466 miles on the dashboard.
Since I am very new to the hybrid cars. I am not sure how to make sure the battery etc is still in good shape. I have planned to get a diagnostic report for the car before buying it so I can have some assurance.

Any tips on how to check the car before buying will be appreciated.

Thanks
Kind Regards
Nirmal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Red Devil.
I see one very useful tip that you gave in one post:

You can tell by taking it for a spin. If on gentle braking the dial on the left dives deep into the green and jumps up high into the blue on brisk acceleration then the battery is doing fine.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You're welcome :)

Mind it won't use all hybrid functionality (like AutoStop) until it is warmed up, shortly before the blue low-temperature indicator goes off (should be within half a km on Mauritius ;)).
See if it behaves nicely at speeds around 30 km/h, feathering the throttle. This will make it go into and out of EV mode. That transition should be reasonably smooth.
Get it up to speed, see if it has a high-pitched whine around 100 km/h. It does not break down if it has it (or mine would be dead long ago) but it can be a nuisance you may not want to live with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Red Devil.
The car is awesome. Drives perfectly at all speeds. It's behaves well around 30Km/h and also around 100Km/h. I have downloaded the manual as well and educating myself with it's functionalities.
I have had a diagnostic done and no errors were found which is great.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I take it you bought it then?
I hope you will enjoy it, I still like it a lot despite the little nuisances I mentioned before.

I'm now at 985 km on this tank, already past my longest tank interval, aiming to break 1000 km :) all driven very moderately at almost tropical temperatures and barely any wind.

It says range remaining 0 km. but when I left home 36 km ago it said 55 km remaining, so I believe that rather than assuming it has run out.
In the past I've driven over 40 km at 0 km remaining. Then when I fill the tank up I could not get more than 38 liter in (it has a 40 liter tank) so I bet the remaining range is not set very sharply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes I bought it and enjoying it very much. it's funny i was going to ask you regarding it's fuel consumption, but you replied in advance. cheers for that. i have not figured out how many KMs it covers from full tank till empty. I will check that and let you know but for some reasons, I do not see the car being too economical, maybe I am not driving it properly. I see the fuel consumption being same as my previous car (Toyota Axio Manual 1500cc)
Anyway need to do my maths properly i guess.
Cheers Red Devil!

Ps: please check my other post, hopefully you will know about this too:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/121131-input-port-usb-connector.html

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Please keep in mind that Red Devil is playing with 🔥 with his little experiment. It may cost him a fuel pump. I know this because I have had one break after running out of fuel. (In a different vehicle and because I simply was not paying attention)

The Insight does not get really great fuel mileage when driven normally and with the A/C blasting. This was one of the reasons it was never very successful. Not that it can’t when driven mindfully, but one has to want that.

Filling the tank, zeroing out the trip meter, then dividing the km (miles) driven by the amount of fuel needed to refill the tank is the only way to measure fuel mileage. The instant readout on the dash is just a toy.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I intend to never let it run dry. So I do take care in measuring how much fuel it takes when I ran out of its remaining range.

Today I ran it about 25 km 'on empty'; 1009 km in total for this tank.
A new best distance :)

The floor of the gas station was sloping and I had the filler cap on the high end. Even so, I could only get 38.09 liter in until the fuel went up in the filler neck.
So I still had 2 liters of fuel left.

Long trips, keeping the revs down, anticipating traffic, low wind and no mountains, limited use of A/C, keeping tire pressure well over recommended, taking as little junk as possible along to reduce weight - it all builds up.
It took a while to get good at it, but now my driving style alone reduces my fuel consumption by 15 to 20%.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts