Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys remember that lady that was going to file a class action lawsuit agains Honda because her Civic Hybrid didn't get the fuel ecomony that was advertised. I figured she didn't stand a chance because Honda even states "actually fuel mileage may vary" and we all know that how you drive is everything. However, she pulled out of the class action lawsuit, and sued Honda instead in small claims court.... and won. She was awared $9800. It seems to me this kinda opens the flood gates. Why couldn't someone sue Honda in small claims court for their replacement IMA battery not lasting as long as the original.

·
6,918 Posts
She won? FFS. :(

I'm going to sue Honda because I can't get 51mpg on my 2 mile commute to work in winter. :rolleyes:

I can't believe she won.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
This is a 'Victory for Honda Civic owners everywhere' apparently

Truly amazing:

AP News

Sounds more like a victory for lawyers, a likely increase in Honda's prices and another reason for any manufacturer looking to sell Hybrids (or any efficient car) in future to think again, at least in the US.

The thing that strikes me is that the court viewed an "up to 50 MPG" as a guarantee, rather than a statement of fact, and that Honda were fraudulent in making such a statement. There is no indication of what Honda could have said that would have avoided this judgement.

One question to the judge then: "What exactly can a car company say about performance (of any kind) that would be acceptable?" :confused:

Top speed? 0-60 time? Braking distance? MPG?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
We can only assume how she won, till the court decision is available so we can read the whole decision it's all up in the air.
Honda could appeal, but the cost would be higher than the payment is now.

Willie

·
Registered
737 Posts
We can only assume how she won, till the court decision is available so we can read the whole decision it's all up in the air.
Honda could appeal, but the cost would be higher than the payment is now.

Willie
True. However, future cost savings by appealing it could be huge.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
True, but how many people are going to go to the trouble to file claims in the court system. She is an unemployed, ex lawyer trying to make a name for herself.
It is not going to take presidence in court as difference states, counties, etc. have their own guide lines, and it's a civil matter, not a criminal. It will have to be done individually, with no reference to the "class action suit"...........I would still like to read the judges decision in its completeness.

Willie

·
Super Moderator
6,748 Posts
What a crock! Lawyers are gonna drive out everything decent in this country. Evening television is full of lawyer ads. Folks are going to either stop doing business in this country or start carrying expensive insurance to protect themselves. What a crock!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why should it just be limited to Honda? EVERY car maker is now suspect. I look for similar suits against all of them.

bigjim56

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Indeed, the headline should be "idiot judge opens floodgates to massive lawsuit money waste throughout the automotive industry."

So Honda gives cars to the EPA to test, the EPA puts out its MANDATED mileage estimates, and Honda is supposed to "go over the head" of the government department and change what they said? To fit an absolute worst-case driver apparently?

Yuck... I hope they appeal and the higher court tosses this award with prejudice.

·
6,918 Posts
The article I read said she's had over 500 people contact her asking for litigation help, and that she's going to try and get her license back in order to persue these claims.. ugh.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
See I told you..............Money.

Willie

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not surprised she won, but rather that she won $9800. I was expecting maybe $400-$600 as something more realistic (note; I own an I1 so have no personal interest). All along Honda's been trying to buy off HCH owners cheap and the real winners were going to be the lawyers in the firm handling the class action. I guess this proves you don't need math skills to become a judge. If HCH owners go to small claims in droves then chaos will ensue as every car is different and judges will come up with varying numbers.

I'd really like to see why the judge thinks $9800 is even in the right order of magnitude. I heard there are no punitive damages so he's added up a column of numbers which involve actual losses to get $9800 ($200 less than was asked, interestingly). What the case needs is real mediation, engineers and accountants who aren't burdened with law degrees.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
This article did not mention it, but I thought I read else where this all started when the software in her car was "upgraded" and the mpg went even lower than it was to start with?

I really do not see the problem. I work for a bank and I always hear people saying they are going to sue me, the bank, etc. I to date do not know of anyone who actually followed through with it.

Ive been part of class action law suits and at first they were pretty good. I remember the toshiba one about the disk drive. I got a coupon and an external drive for each one I owned. I used the coupons to buy a nice toshiba desk top.

The last one was ebay for selling a few cars a few years ago. I got 3 cents. I just tore the check up, I am not wasting my time to deposit it. They can deal with it.

She just proved you do not need a lawyer and can cut out the middle man.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got an '06 HCH II. She is right with regard to some of her complaints. My IMA battery behaves much worse than it did before the latest sw updates. The battery is now out of balance and crashes every trip at least once.

Honda "broke" the car, not the EPA. Those who solely complain about EPA specs need to be realistic. Prior to the updates I regularly exceeded the 2008 EPA numbers and was often within 10% of the original 2006 window sticker.

I don't want $10k and I think a nearly $10k judgement is excessive though it sends a message. I want a new IMA BATTERY or at least the cost of a BetterBattery and, say, $500 for my trouble.

If a company tries something and it doesn't work, those outcomes are bound to happen. When a company tries to cover up/ignore the bad outcome as Honda is doing, they deserve whatever negative publicity and associated costs result.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think people are far too quick to sue for anything they think they have a remote chance of winning. Nobody wants to earn money they want to take someone else's. I should try and sue honda for my input shaft bearing needing to be replaced so soon. Punitive damages, elevated stress level and blood pressure prior to replacing due to worry over it failing completely before I replaced it. I think Im going to shoot for 6 figures. I think honda paid out to shut her up because she was so annoying and such a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Expert, go for it. Go to your local court house or call one of those TV judge programs. Its your right as a citizen.

I honestly think the world would be a better place if everyone was issued a gun. People would have more respect for each other.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've got an '06 HCH II. She is right with regard to some of her complaints. My IMA battery behaves much worse than it did before the latest sw updates. The battery is now out of balance and crashes every trip at least once.

Honda "broke" the car, not the EPA. Those who solely complain about EPA specs need to be realistic. Prior to the updates I regularly exceeded the 2008 EPA numbers and was often within 10% of the original 2006 window sticker.

I don't want $10k and I think a nearly $10k judgement is excessive though it sends a message. I want a new IMA BATTERY or at least the cost of a BetterBattery and, say, $500 for my trouble.

If a company tries something and it doesn't work, those outcomes are bound to happen. When a company tries to cover up/ignore the bad outcome as Honda is doing, they deserve whatever negative publicity and associated costs result.
This is what a lot of people are missing. And it effects the I1 to some extent as well.

The software changes that Honda did to the BCM/MCM (forget which) has resulted in lower MPG due to stronger protection of the battery.

The didn't do this to help the consumer, they did this to save themselves money (not having to replace so many batteries) and it had the side effect of costing owners a lot of money due to lower MPG.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm betting as a result of these suits, when you buy a vehicle in the future they'll have you sign a release stating that you can not sue if your MPG falls short of the EPA estimates. That's what this country has come to.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This is what a lot of people are missing. And it effects the I1 to some extent as well.

The software changes that Honda did to the BCM/MCM (forget which) has resulted in lower MPG due to stronger protection of the battery.

The didn't do this to help the consumer, they did this to save themselves money (not having to replace so many batteries) and it had the side effect of costing owners a lot of money due to lower MPG.
Now that isn't right. That part of the suit has merit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
21 Participants
bibendum
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing