Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Insight is my first car, so I've never dealt with service people or that sort of thing before today's 6000 km oil change.

Is it normal for them to mess with things like your tire pressure during an oil change?

I didn't have the tires over-inflated by much (5 psi, maybe?), but the guys dropped them down. My car's ride squishy now :(

When I called them on it, they whipped out a diagram of tire treads and gave me a lecture on the evils of over-inflating!

Hrumph. I'm doing my own oil changes for sure, now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Check your oil dip stick. Some times dealerships will dump 3 quarts of oil down the engine. Also, I have delt with this as well. When I go in now I specifially ask them not to preform any of their routines. They offer free car washes too, I make sure they don't touch my paint. Yes, I'm anal about my car.

Hehe, I actually once got in to an argument with one of the service techs when I mentioned I run 50 psi and get more even tread wear. They didn't believe me until I showed them my fron tires and how the tread on the outer side was much more worn than the inner tread. They still thought I was nuts, but from their prospective I can see where it might be a liability issue. I'm sure that most of the time they have to add air to tires rather than let air out.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I find that my dealer inflated my tires to the wrong specs: 32psi. They did this for about 1 1/2 years before finally getting it figured out.

Everything else has been fine. Correct oil in the correct amounts. Reduced repair bills from their standard levels to reflect that they don't need to check some things that don't exist in our cars, such as the alternator (for example). Even the car wash was nice (Vista Honda in Ventura, CA) when I could get it (car washes don't seem to exist on Cape Cod).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Remember that another part of the standard service is that they rotate the tires. Since the front tires carry more weight than the back tires, under normal conditions, they'd have to adjust the pressure. Unfortunately, every car they maintain, except for the Insight, specs 32psi all around, so that's what they usually do. I just remember to check and fix the tire pressure after they do maintenance.

I have been letting them overfill the oil, but I'll get on them about that, thanks to you guys. 2.6 quarts from now on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
check their work

It has been my experience that I have to always check the work of the technicians after service. I now make a point to insist that they put in 2.6 quarts and give me the remainder. I also tell them not to adjust the tire pressure as I do that myself. An Insight owner's best defense is to learn all that you can about the car and check the work of the service department afterwards. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worth a million bucks

Don't forget that we live in a world where anyone will sue your *** for millions for blowing your nose in the wrong direction these days. There is no way that a technician is going to go off the routine provided by Honda. They're only doing what they are told to do by Honda so be gentle with them. Also, I can't believe someone is giving a Honda garage a rough ride for washing their car.... it's bloody good service where I come from, they'd get their *** kicked if they didn't... there's no pleasing some folk!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts