Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone catch this one yet? Looks like an interesting rumor at least.

Honda planning sub-Fit CRX hybrid?

07/11/07, 09:17am, EDT
july2007/hondafit.jpg

When Honda reinvents the sporty CRX for the 2011 model year, it will reportedly feature a hybrid powertrain under its hood, rather than a small, rev-happy motor like the first CRX, which was sold in the U.S. through 1991.

Winding Road reports that the reinvented CRX has been pushed back from '09 to '11 and that Honda's product planners have decided to make the updated CRX more like the now-defunct Insight. They also report that neither the Small Hybrid Sports Coupe concept nor the REMIX conceptwas a preview of the upcoming CRX, which will be shown in October at the Tokyo Motor Show.

The original CRX was sold in two generations in the U.S. from 1984-91 and it featured 1.5-liter four-cylinder engines that ranged from 58 to 108 horsepower. The CRX truly was diminutive, measuring just 148 inches from bumper to bumper. The Fit, Honda's smallest car currently sold in the U.S., is ten inches longer but has four doors. The Fit isn't available with a hybrid powertrain.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-plann ... ybrid.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for posting -- I'd buy one today! I'd love to have a second Insight -- mine is always used by my better half for driving to work, and I have to drive my gas-guzzlin' Ridgeline... it's so hard to find Insights here in SoCal, and I can't bring myself to get a Prius... they're so... cliché... :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Assuming they do release a new CRX in 2011, it will have the benefit of 12 years of hybrid building experience and feedback, as well as advancements in electronic and battery technology. It could be impressive! :D Pancake rear wheel motors for 4 wheel traction, silicon carbide transistors and lithium batteries pleeeease.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"The CRX truly was diminutive..."

The writer obviously never drove an Austin-Healey Sprite :) Or any of a number of other cars I could name. My CRX was actually fairly roomy in comparison: I could carry my mountain bike without undoing its back wheel (which I have to do to get it into the Insight) - not to mention hauling things ranging from plants & lumber to the cowling off my Piper.

·
Registered
466 Posts
cool, a kindred spirit! i have had 2 sprites, and i grew up with pipers. then i worked on them (and all others) for 16 years!

·
Registered
330 Posts
2001 Insight and 1987 CRX Si

I own a 1987 CRX Si and a 2001 Insight. Combine the two with new technology and I am first in line to buy!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum ibjeff. I have an 89 CRX SI in yellow no less and of course an Insight. The "gas guzzlin" CRX hasn't seen action in a while. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I love the look of that CRZ. Now if only Honda would get on with making the global small hybrid (hopefully arriving in 2009), NSX replacement (now put back to 2010) and this CRZ. Even Honda admit themselves that there is a bit of a product lull at the moment. Grrrr...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts