Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5442578/

Honda is going to introduce a car priced less than it's Civic - i.e. under $13,000. Part of the motive may be to "hook" college students.

They also announced plans to introduce more fuel-efficient vehicles, such as the Hybrid Accord. Hope this means the Insight 2 will be a reality.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Delta_Flyer:

___They (Honda) are supposedly going to bring over the Honda “Fit/Jazz” (5-door hatch) and possibly the “City” (4 door sedan) as they are known in Europe, Japan, and the rest of Asia proper. With that, it is an ~ 2,100 – 2,300 # automobile using the HCH’s 1.3 L iDSI without lean burn and the tall gearing so it will be held back from receiving HCH type fuel economy to the detriment of us all :( On the plus side, the Jazz/Fit 5 door has some spectacular arrangements for seating and storage that in all actuality make it larger interior wise then the Civic’s interior in head room, hip room, and I believe knee room. The system is called magic seating or something like that?

___You can read all about it over at Temple of VTEC – Honda Jazz/Fit forums as well as pics from around the world as to what has been done to make them oh so hot. The City with lean burn and the tall gearing would be a pretty nice non-hybrid replacement for our Insight’s given the seating, storage, and 50 + mpg highway EPA estimates if Honda wouldn’t mess it up with low gearing and lack of lean burn :(

___You can see more details on the Aussie, Malaysian, Japanese, and UK Honda websites …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1uz4akr8][email protected][/email:1uz4akr8]

·
Registered
225 Posts
xcel, if you havent gotten any info yet from your temple of vtec question - the display stuff - you could ask the manager/owner of Honda Motorwerks. He was allowed to sit in one on a business trip. This he was telling me when I went to pick up Little Blue. Check http://www.4ahybrid.com if you want to contact him.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ext1jdh:

___I think I will wait for while yet as there are literally hundreds of thousands of these automobiles out on the road in foreign lands. Someone with one overseas will tell me what is and isn’t installed soon enough I am sure.

___One of the heavy hitters over there (at Temple of VTEC) named Wong KN (he might be a mod as well as a writer?) actually wrote the reviews on the “Honda City”, the “Honda Jazz”, and the preview of the “Honda Fit”. The Honda sites I have visited including Australia, Japan, Malaysia, and the UK, as well as his review(s) never had a good pic of the instrument cluster to see if it had a game gauge similar to that of the HCH w/ the Instantaneous or the much more simplistic “this is your Fuel consumption over this many miles” type. I drove a Mercury Mountaineer with the latter type of FCD 2 months ago and it wasn’t worth the cluster real estate imho.

___From the Jazz review linked above:
The Jazz is equipped with a fuel consumption computer which displays fuel consumption in km/l. This computer is called up via the trip-meter, pressing the trip button will toggle between a trip mode, cumulative mileage and the fuel computer display.
___I hope you understand why I questioned the type of FCD with the above …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:39efhsuh][email protected][/email:39efhsuh]

·
Registered
348 Posts
The fuel-gauge on the Fit/Jazz IS more of the simplistic type. It only shows ONE average consumption figure.
But still better than none and as I had the chance to drive a Jazz over a couple of days I must say the gauge was as fun to play with as on the Insight.
After 3 days of driving to and from work (25 kms one way/ buit-up area) I averaged 5,1 litres per 100 kms with the air-conditioning on. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi No. 166:

___Thanks for the information … I used the conversion calculator and the 5.1 l/km equates to 46.x mpg here in the states. Per the Honda UK website, you were hitting the extra urban target (w/ a CVT?) and if I understand the EU’s Urban/Extra Urban mileage specs’ they are ~ 10 - 30% more lenient then even the EPA’s sometimes unobtainable City/Highway estimates for the exact same car. 5.1 l/km is fantastic for a car that wasn’t even setup and running A/C!!!

___As you can probably tell by my interest, this might be my next automobile purchase? That is if Honda doesn’t play games with the lower 5th and final gear ratios. That City/Aria in particular ( Cd = .28 ) has so much potential to be a 60 mpg highway cruiser if Honda would just do the Fit/Jazz/City right imho.

___Since I have been viewing European automotive web sites on a more regular basis as of late and on a slightly OT note, I hope someday that the Euro owning Insighter’s can create a thread explaining the fuel consumption, insurance, and toll/road taxes. I see terms I don’t understand including motibility, RRP, P11D, and on the road pricing + insurance charges at time of purchase? Just last week I read an article entitled Crisis Plan for Tolls on All UK Roads to charge every driver the equivalent of ~ $2.50 USD/mile or some such taxing scheme just to drive. If I was hit with that kind of tax, I would sell all the automobiles as would most American’s and the US, Japan, and Europe would be in the midst of a depression overnight! I hope Germany is not as tax crazy given most Europeans are already taxed ~ $4.00 USD/gallon for the fuel from my understanding? Do you get rebates or tax credits when you do your taxes (if you even are supposed to do taxes as in April 15th here in the States)? Sorry for all the OT questions in this thread but hopefully you can help (just one of the uninformed) as to how automobile purchases and tax collection actually work in your countries.

___Good Luck and thanks for the FCD information.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:sark63vd][email protected][/email:sark63vd]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts