Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the headline says the "first" Honda CVT's were manufacturer specified to use only a specific "CVT" ATF. Later Honda recended this in favor of _their_ specific brand of Dexron ATF. That's now been "reversed", again :!: (read the rest of the thread)

Similar to Honda MTF, under extreme conditions and in the long run this is the best fluid that money can buy and does have service life extending potential.

Dealers may not yet be aware of this reversal so you will have to educate them if you want the best available for your CVT Insight.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Who makes this CVT ATF? Is it Honda's own or is it available from other manufacturers?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most likely so they can charge 3 times $$ what it would cost in an auto parts store..........

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly,

But as low volume the sales of this item will be they'll still slowly starve to death on that mark-up (only 3 qts / 30K miles are needed). So you can still pay the price, get the best fluid available for your CVT and leave with a smirk on your face. ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Just as the headline says the "first" Honda CVT's were manufacturer specified to use only a specific "CVT" ATF. Later Honda recended this in favor of _their_ specific brand of Dexron ATF.
I'm confused, the first CVT fluid was a Honda specific CVT ATF and the later is a Dexron specific ATF?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just had my CVT in for a 30K transmission fluid change. I asked specifically if they use a special "CVT" fluid and they said yes. On the repair invoice it states "3 Qts 08200-9001, (ATF-Z1)" Is this the correct fluid or just their standard ATF fluid?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted the correct PN for the *NEW* CVT specific fluid above. Since what you were billed isn't the same number and references the "standard" genuine Honda Z-1 ATF all I can reckon is that its it what it says it is. (Not the new CVT variety)

Harming or damaging anything :?: No, afterall its what was installed originally at the factory. The best that you can buy for a CVT :?: No, and it isn't what you _specifically_ asked for.

Sounds like you need to ejoocate them :p
viewtopic.php?t=3561

HTH! :)

Edit: Fixed broken link above

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I just did this scheduled maintenance recently with my dealer (Lute Riley, Richardson). WARNING: Horror story follows

Clueless doofus with the monkey wrench put in the WRONG CVT fluid even after I asked write-up gal to put in the correct fluid required by American Honda, then argued with me (Me! A customer! That high-speed humming you hear is Stanley Marcus spinning in his grave) that "it's all the same for automatics." Got his manager out, showed him the correct part number (a tip of the hat to Insightful Trekker :wink: ) and he admitted he had no clue about the correct fluid either, but "you won't be happy until we put in the oil you want [italics mine]" [never mind what Honda wants]. Came back three hours later, to allow the correct fluid to be driven in from another, obviously more intelligent, Honda dealer nearby. Fluid exchanged properly (and correct empties left in my car for my inspection). Dealer folks polite but cool, as though their error is my fault (and I am the most pleasant person in the world, even under duress, firm but not obnoxious and unfailingly charming :D ). It's a shame we have to go through such hoops to get something done right... :evil:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Going in tomorrow to have it changed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Had the change done yesterday. I printed the above picture and info and showed it to the parts department. He produced a bottle of it and said that was the only fluid they would use. Nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts