Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look around for one of these as a Sunday fair weather toy ;)
Less than 100 in UK ASFAIK so rare as hell and expensive 15-20k Gbp.

Just love the noise they make and the looks.
Quite a lot of the G1 Insight in it as well.
Light weight, sleek body etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WvY9kyw0w

I want the silver one :(

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
No wonder it can hit 9k rpms. 800cc in a four cylinder? They must look like model pistons!

Don't think I've ever seen one of those in the US.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many left!

Just checked and only 79 S800's in the UK. 52 on the road and 27 on Sorn (Laid up)

That's compared to 218 G1's on the road and 29 on Sorn.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The S800 is a lovely car. Have you also considered the earlier S600 convertible? Smaller engine but only 715kg.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got one!

Just to show were all the money goes from all these gadgets.

Not sure I can fit inside it. :p

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
It is a lovely little car. The owners must have an internet presence. Joint in so you can track the few in GB. Surely some older gent will have his passed along one day:)

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
That's compared to 218 G1's on the road and 29 on Sorn.
Not even that many! If you click on 'Engines', you'll see that 10 are 1300cc and 8 are 1300cc (SORN), so more like 208 and 21 G1s respectively, at most.

I knew a guy whose father had an S800 - said it was great and wanted to get one some day.

We were followed by a Morgan +4+ on Sunday - only 26 built. 825kg and 115mph in the day, but probably even harder to buy one of those!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been background looking for one for 5yrs; though I'd want a roadster and there are lots of tatty ones out there. I see you've come across the S800 club...

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deposit placed

Found one to go and look at week on Sunday, deposit placed to keep it for me first refusal ;)

Got official permission from SWMBO for purchase as well.

Might be something to do with fact I've sold some stuff recently. Thanks guys.

It's got an MOT so not a basket case hopefully.

·
3,641 Posts
That looks awesome! Looks like a clean example. I saw a few in Continental Europe, but not one worth sending your way.

Hope it works out.

BTW, I am looking to import a vintage Honda (LHD). I just received two shipping quotes to take a small car from Bremerhaven, GE to Baltimore, MD USA: one was $2400 and the other was $1000 :) Prices vary a great deal.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Which vintage Honda?

And that S800 looks awesome. Are you going to modify it or keep it as an original? Keeping those quad carbs adjusted/balanced looks like a fun time, maybe an FI system, electronic ignition (I assume it's got points/condenser currently)?

I would definitely swap the crank fan for a thermostat controlled electric unit for ditch a high revver.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I get it, then yes may be a couple of discrete mods for ease of maintenance, but nothing radical it's a piece of history.

There is a mythical 5 speed box out there somewhere as well.

Those carbs are a known challenge to balance/maintain.

I bet it doesn't do 100mpg. Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had one back in the day - NAF 5F. I loved that little car, coupe in black and not in great condition even then, but it was cheap, sub £300 from a dealer!

Sadly I was a bloody idiot back then and didn't look after it all that well and it thrived on constant neglect and serious thrashings... right up until the day it siezed! When it cooled down, it started straight back up with no discernable after effects, though I did finally top up the oil that I had never checked in all the time I'd had it!

Parts back then were a bugger to get (late 70s) and it really needed a new exhaust but I couldn't find one so just had it welded... frequently! Starter used to miss the ring gear teeth quite often but always caught eventually and the drivers window snapped the linkage due to going rusty, soon sorted with some tlc and a welder. That, as far as I can recall is all that ever went wrong with it and boy, did it get some serious abuse - tough little car.

Sadly, I got a new posh job and needed a car that was comfortable for my daily commute so I bought a 72 Toyota Crown auto and semi retired the Honda while it got some tlc (tender loving care), then one unhappy day, my Father needed to borrow it and wrote it off! Pulled out in front of a BIG lorry and the front got very mangled. Last I saw of it it was in a garage in Goole, Humberside.

I'd have another like a shot, but as said, very rare.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought It

Driving it home tomorrow.

Needs some finishing/tidying but in very good solid condition.

Makes a glorious noise on the road.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Cool! I am interested in hearing more about it. I've always wanted one of those. It's a Honda and it has a battery, so it shouldn't be off topic here! :)

Sam

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made it back

Back last night tired but smiling.
5 hrs is a long 250 mile trip at 50mph in a 47 year old car.

Few comments.

The car is tiny.
The noise is incredible.
The engine revs to 8500 rpm with ease!
Seats not bad and no worse than the Insight.
Need a smaller period steering wheel to give more knee room. (Got one with it)
Might move handbrake to other side of transmission tunnel as it digs in my leg.
It's not great on motorways as the gear ratios are short and at 60mph it's doing 5K.
Rolling country A roads are great fun!

Needs a few bits sorting, leaking clutch slave cylinder, odd trim missing etc etc.
A rolling road tune probably would help, the four carbs are known to be a pain to setup.

Oil changes are every 3000 miles but it burns quite a lot as they have no valve stem oil seals IIRC.

It has a crankshaft cooling fan, will def change that to electric for some free HP.

Got quite a bit of history and rebuild photos with the car which are a testament to the quality of the work by the previous owner RIP.

No I won't be doing an EV conversion or adding ima motors etc etc!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts