Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the China Daily, Honda is going to export the Fit/Jazz model from China to Europe and Asia starting in July. This will make Honda the first major car company to export from China. Although the US isn't mentioned at all, it could be that we would get Chinese cars when (and if) the promised mainstream smaller-than-Civic model comes out.

Here's the 5-door Fit:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/fit/image/top-image.jpg

I think that would be a neat car to have in the US. It reaches back to what sold the Civics in the 80's: excellent price and practicality with just a dash of personality. Plus the hatch version is really cute. A Chinese-made Fit would still have good margins when priced to go against cars like the Chevy Aveo, so they wouldn't be afraid to sell in volume.

The danger with this move is bad image, or possibly poor quality. You think "Made in China" is a good move for Honda?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thankyou for posting this, in the future please post non insight related pictures as links.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Jazz/Fit motor swap

It will be interesting to find out if the Jazz/Fit engine has external dimensions similar to the Insight engine...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hadn't seen this, thanks! Here is a review of the 1.5 L VTEC Jazz. I'm very eager to see these and their i-CTDI diesel engine brought over to the US.

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/index.html

Fjord said:
The danger with this move is bad image, or possibly poor quality. You think "Made in China" is a good move for Honda?
You have to remember that Honda proved to the world that "Made in Japan" could be a very good thing. Their own Ministry of Trade wanted to consolidate the auto makers into three companys because they thought the quality wasn't good enough to compete in the world market!

Then later on, Honda went ahead and proved that American labor could still build a quality automobile. When the Accord plant opened in 1982, it initially only built 6 cars a day. Honda was adamant about maintaining Japanese built quality, even at the initial high cost of an unproductive factory.

I think they'll do it once again.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Jazz

Great article. Well written and definately complete. Unbiased.

Got a spare turbo on the shelf that would make it a "tiger".

Maybe Honda will start importing it to compete with the Sion.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The danger with this move is bad image, or possibly poor quality.
You think "Made in China" is a good move for Honda?
I hate to stir up trouble but I am not thrilled at the the idea of buying a car (any car) that is partly or wholly made in China. At least we have been at peace with the Japanese for almost 60 years. I wish the same could be said about the Chinese. The last time I checked they still had the policy that if you are taking part in a peaceful protest they will come run over you with a tank. They also have a nuclear program that is capable of who know what against their neigbors or the USA. They also are killing us economicly if you go to Walmart, K-mart, or Target 80-100% of anything that you look at is made in China. They even are selling furniture made there now. And now we are going to have Chinese Hondas. Where will the Insanity end.? And no I'm not some old WW2 vet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All Fit hybrid (if they make it) most likely come from Japan.

One reason I pick Insight among others is that it come from special plant in Japan. The Honda's most advanced plant was Takanezawa plant where they used to make NSX, Insight, and S2000. The assembly line is closed, but they make experimental cars now at Takanezawa.
Today manufactuing Hybrid system and final assembly of hybrid cars are build at Suzuka plant in Japan. If They make Fit hybrid, it should come from Suzuka even if regular fit come from other places.

ty

·
Registered
218 Posts
Big D Insightman said:
The danger with this move is bad image, or possibly poor quality.
You think "Made in China" is a good move for Honda?
I hate to stir up trouble but I am not thrilled at the the idea of buying a car (any car) that is partly or wholly made in China. At least we have been at peace with the Japanese for almost 60 years. I wish the same could be said about the Chinese. The last time I checked they still had the policy that if you are taking part in a peaceful protest they will come run over you with a tank. They also have a nuclear program that is capable of who know what against their neigbors or the USA. They also are killing us economicly if you go to Walmart, K-mart, or Target 80-100% of anything that you look at is made in China. They even are selling furniture made there now. And now we are going to have Chinese Hondas. Where will the Insanity end.? And no I'm not some old WW2 vet.
Just remember - the down fall of eastern bloc communism was that there was no profit in it. I for one would rather have a trade imbalance issue than another cold war on our doorsteps... :roll:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did someone say that Honda has promised to build a smaller than Civic hatch? Smaller than a Civic SI 3 door? I don't have anything against small cars, but if they built something smaller than a Civic SI 3 door it would be a smart car!

I will admit that I noticed the new non-3 door Civics have grown up noticably in the last couple of model years, but the 3 door is still roughly the same size as when it was introduced, isn't it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts