Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is a good forum for this post...

I'm thinking about a new car (or new used car) and am doing a little research. I'm looking at compact hybrid crossover SUVs (e.g. Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav-4). I've currently got a gen 1 insight and a gen 2 prius. I've pretty much only owned Hondas or Toyotas. The cars I've owned the longest have been Honda so I lean in that direction. But my current experience is that Toyota's hybrid technology is far better than Honda's, at least when comparing a 2000 Insight to a 2007 Prius. Specifically, I've had to replace the insight IMA battery about every 4 years (on average), while the Prius battery has been trouble free.

So, although I tend to like Hondas better, I'm seriously looking at the Rav-4 hybrid because I've had better experience with their hybrid tech.

So, where does Honda's hybrid technology stand now compared to Toyota's? Any insights (pun not intended, but also kind of irresistible)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
160 Posts
don't give up on HAL! there are people west coast that install mudder's LiBCM now. Gas prices will go up if you sell him.
Don't buy a new car, they are garbage, if anything goes wrong the supply chain is broken and it takes forever to get your parts.
sorry if that was creepy, i remembered reading your thread earlier this spring when i was following libcm progress.
If you want to know more about the hybrids sold in US look up WeberAuto on the you tube. He's easy to understand and point's out the difference from one to the next.
I can't afford new stuff but it you can i want to share a thought with you.
my sister just sold her 2022 CR-V. she's a nurse and can afford it but i asked her why? she said well i just depreciate it.. i have a dog and kids and i hit a racoon, it took all summer to get a new bumper and to recal the lane assist sensors, she waited at the dealership several times trying to get it sorted out. she basically said life was better before new cars. she's driving her mint 2004 cr-v again with low miles. im proud she's smart enough save her money.
i have insight group face book and i frequently see the newer cars having issues.
good luck happy thanksgiving

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yeah. I'm keeping Hal for now. I love him too much to let him go. It's more the Prius I'd like to swap out for the more regular daily driver.

I do look at these new cars with all their electronics and AI gizmos and lack of manual transmission, and I definitely imagine missing the days of a simpler car life. I don't like the CVT (or whatever kind of transmission it is) on the Prius. I drove a friend's Mini Cooper for a few weeks while they were out of town. I hated the transmission on that thing. There was a lag between pressing the accelerator and the car actually moving. Super annoying. I'm so wary of the automatic transmissions these days...

So, there's a part of me that's really not into a new car too.

Although I imagine supply chain issues will be there for old or new cars...

·
Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
160 Posts
car salvage yards are sellings more hard parts than ever i would imagine.. as long as i can buy tires and brake pads and oil and filters i'm happy. i own several vehicles that are paid for and i alternate using them just to keep the oil seals from drying out and batteries topped off. if a motor or tranny is too much to fix than it gets donated to a salvage yard where they pick the good bits off and crush the rest for recycle. when i bought my insight i found another one in a salvage yard and bought it too because they are hard to come by. although the insight community is strong, others help others keep them on the road. i enjoy the heck out of mine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
@BaileyMan : I went from a Prius to a G1 to an Accord hybrid to a Volt and I can tell you that, no matter what hybrid I drive, I am always concerned about the battery. If not watching for out-right failure, like in the Volt, then wishing it was bigger and provided more assist, like in the Accord and Prius.

I can't bring myself to spend the $$,$$$ on a new car, and I still want the range of an ICE, and I despise all the crap-technology in new cars. Really, who the heck actually needs a flippin' big screen in their car? And a car that tracks where you are all the time? And all the rest that goes with new cars?

As far as supply-chain issues go... It's late model used cars, too. Try to get a battery control module for a 2nd generation Volt: It's Unobtanium -- and the car won't run without it!

I keep saying I need a 1948 Jeep...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts