Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Honda yesterday to give a complaint on the wimpy horn that they have put in the I2. The day before I was just about in an accident because someone was trying to merge over into the lane I was in and they didn't see me. With the car being so small, I told them that it needed a much louder and noticeable horn.

I told then that having such a wimpy horn was a huge safety hazard since no one can hear it. I suggested that they issue a recall so we can get our horns replaced with something that will get someone's attention. The guy seemed very concerned and said that Honda will need a lot more complaints on the same thing before they would issue a recall.

I am writing this post to implore all of you that have any model of Insight to call, email, write and complain about the horn. It really is a huge safety hazard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
honda offers a horn upgrade, which is the horn from an accord. It cost me about 20 bucks shipped and 3 minutes to install....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honda offers a horn upgrade, which is the horn from an accord. It cost me about 20 bucks shipped and 3 minutes to install....
That is a reasonable price. But my point is that as end consumers, we shouldn't have to pay for a safety upgrade. That is something that Honda should have taken care of to begin with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of car was merging into you? If it's a nicer luxury car, they may not have heard you not matter what.

My '99 Lexus is really quiet on the inside. I can barely hear my own horn!
It was ironically a Ridgeline. They eventually saw me when I slowed down enough to get out of their blind spot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you provide a link on where to order this product?

Is it direct from Honda?

The I2 horn absolutely, positively, without a doubt S-U-C-K-S. My son has toys with louder horns.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We had a Ridgeline before the I2, and while it's horn was an improvement over the current, I've never really been impressed by any Honda horn. Just get a good aftermarket product. I put a set of dual Hella SuperTone horns on my HCH II and the difference has been night and day. Best $50 I've spent in awhile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This horn swap was the first thing I did when I got mine.
After taking shipping into consideration, it was cheaper to call up my local dealer and have the part ordered.

Easy project, highly recommended.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We had a Ridgeline before the I2, and while it's horn was an improvement over the current, I've never really been impressed by any Honda horn. Just get a good aftermarket product. I put a set of dual Hella SuperTone horns on my HCH II and the difference has been night and day. Best $50 I've spent in awhile.
It's pointless to ask Honda to recall a car because consumer's don't think the horn is loud enough. First of all that's not what recalls are for. I guess you could consider the horn a safety issue but it's debatable. The cost to Honda to issue a recall and process all the paperwork would be prohibitive for something as minor as this.

I suggest Insight owners who are unhappy with their horns go to Pep Boys or similar and buy a louder horn. It's a 10 minute max job to swap them and there are only two easy electrical connections.

Thanks, Mike.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Lets hear that one in court. Your honor, I was laying on my horn when that guy cut me off, but it never occured of me to hit the brakes.

Only time I use the horn is when I see an insight near me or I pass one. Otherwise all my signaling is done with the brakes or blinkers.

It's pointless to ask Honda to recall, I suggest Insight owners who are unhappy with their horns go to Pep Boys or similar and buy a louder horn. It's a 10 minute max job to swap them and there are only two easy electrical connections.

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Called at my local Honda dealer and ordered the Accord horn. The case is that the latter 2008 Accord "wears" 2 horns, a low and a high pitched one. They cost 51$ each here (almost double the price you payed in the States) but concerning all safety reasons I went ahead and ordered the low pitched one.
Thanks again for your info and help
Good morning from Greece!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Wow, you guys seem serious about the horn. My previous car was a tacoma with hella horns, 4 piaa lamps with osram 65watt bulbs. I used the high beams and all 4 extra lamps if someone cut me off or signal to pass,but not the horn.

I find its pretty common to get cut of unless you tail gate. Liewise when I change lanes hear a honk or 2. I drive the same with traffic if there is a lot of it and just ignore the horns I hear.

The one time I used my horn in a scion I owned was when someone cut me off at a rail road crossing from a service road. THe person then drove 20 under the limit with a double solid yellow line. I felt rather helpless, but notice the drive behind me was honking and waving at me. I sandbagged and drove even slower and he blew by me, just to do the same to the guy in front of me. THat was kind of funny and the guy returned to the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Well, when someone is pulling over into you because they can't see you and hitting the brakes and being rearended isn't an option, they're not going to see my lights so my 135db air horns let them know I'm there.
Nice to know that you'll ignore my horn and hit me anyway Cobb.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts