Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my local Honda Dealer after my car's first oil change in my posession. 22,000 miles...

The sticker Honda put on the window says to return for service at 26,000 miles. This is 1000 miles less than Honda's recommended interval for oil changes even under sevier conditions, and far less than the 7500 under normal... is this normal for them to do?

Also, when I pulled in, the car had a 3/4 charge, when I was leaving the parking lot, it had 2 bars left. Do they reset the charge or something?

Thanks,
Ash

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Either they pulled the 12 volt cable or they took your car for a little joy ride. Next time reset one of the trip odometers and make sure they don't drive it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have noticed that they also seem to excessively idle the engine during diagnosis. I admit I have little auto mechanic experience here, so my words may be meaningless. But last time I brought my car in, I was pretty proud of my high-70's mpg I had gotten on the drive over. When I picked my car up later that day, it had dwindled to 48mpg. Since my trip-meter didn't show a difference in miles, they must have had that thing idling for a while.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Kobushi said:
The sticker Honda put on the window says to return for service at 26,000 miles. This is 1000 miles less than Honda's recommended interval for oil changes even under sevier conditions, and far less than the 7500 under normal... is this normal for them to do?
Dealerships tend to lower the oil change interval for 2 reasons. 1) To get more money from you. 2) To increase the life of the engine.

I believe dealerships want you to think they know more about the car than Honda does, so they will make you believe they want to increase your engines life with sooner oil changes. This simply isn't true, they just want more money from you with sooner than needed oil changes.

Save yourself some money and do your own oil changes at Honda's scheduled interval times.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Definitely do your own oil changes. It's pretty painless and easy once you get a hang of removing the underbody under the engine. Every time we've had ours at the dealer, the battery was either close to dead, dying (had a recall while driving out of the service lot), or recharging. You can see why the only time the Insight's at the dealer is for major (ie. EGR valve) problems.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
kapps said:
Definitely do your own oil changes. It's pretty painless and easy once you get a hang of removing the underbody under the engine. Every time we've had ours at the dealer, the battery was either close to dead, dying (had a recall while driving out of the service lot), or recharging. You can see why the only time the Insight's at the dealer is for major (ie. EGR valve) problems.
In theory this is true, but I have discoverd a serious design flaw in the construction of the oil pan and drail bolt that could cost a do-it-yourselfer serious money...

Check out this thread: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1489

For this reason, I am very reluctant to continue to change my own oil...I am completely comfortable wrenching on a car (I have built engines, done other major repairs, body work, etc.) but I don't need the stress of replacing an oil pan. At least if the dealer screws it up, it's their fault.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
What Aaron says is true, but getting the dealer to do it may create its own set of problems. If the mechanic strips the thread he should theoretically report it to his boss, but suppose he doesn't realise what he has done and the car runs out of oil slowly or suddenly later? One way to avoid the problem is to use a Pella oil pump. I don't, but it does seem like a good idea. Others have installed products such as Sure Drain that allow you to drain the oil without having to loosen the plug. The problem is that some products may not have as ling a thread as the OEM plug and that is a recipe for disaster. Though no one has reported doing it, I have considered buying a Honda plug and then drilling it, tapping it with a tapered pipe thread, and fitting it with a drain cock. In any case, if you do decide to change your own oil, it seems expedient to use significantly less torque than the shop manual suggests. If you take it to a dealer, you might want to make the mechanic aware of the potential problem, just in case they have not worked on an Insight before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts