Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times I've noticed the hood "vibrating" (or seeming to appear a little loose) when driving at higher speeds. I think I read this somewhere else too... perhaps some review. Sometimes I wonder if the hood is going to fly open but then I think surely not because if it was a real issue then I would have read about it by now or there would be a recall.

Anyway.... anyone else notice this? Is it normal for this car? Perhaps just a side-effect of having a lighter-weight hood?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Several times I've noticed the hood "vibrating" (or seeming to appear a little loose) when driving at higher speeds. I think I read this somewhere else too... perhaps some review. Sometimes I wonder if the hood is going to fly open but then I think surely not because if it was a real issue then I would have read about it by now or there would be a recall.

Anyway.... anyone else notice this? Is it normal for this car? Perhaps just a side-effect of having a lighter-weight hood?
My hood is a very tight fit to close. There is absolutely no play. Yours may require adjustment in the stops to get rid of the shake. Mine may have the opposite issue - I need to slam it harder than normal to get it to shut.

I'm going to the dealer for the camera recall tomorrow morning and am having them look at the hood as well.

- Don

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
The hood closure is adjustable. The side support rubbers at the front are important for stabalizing the closed hood. These are two approx 1" diameter posts at each of the front corners. The height can be adjusted by turning them. In addition, the latch height can be adjusted by loosening the attachment screws. You have to kinda play with both to get the position and the tension correct.

If that doesn't work, you may have one or more unbalanced tires.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Careful Jimmy, he has a G3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed it too and have found out that the hood is made of aluminum to reduce weight and be more collapsible in the event of a front end collision. Here's a link about that in another Insight forum.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/150-flimsy-hood.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've noticed it too and have found out that the hood is made of aluminum to reduce weight and be more collapsible in the event of a front end collision. Here's a link about that in another Insight forum.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/150-flimsy-hood.html
Thanks. For some reason that link doesn't work unless I copy and paste it.

So I suspect this issue is normal but I will mention it to the dealer the next time I am there for some other reason.

This works:

·
Registered
2 Posts

my hood rattles too.

did you ever attempt that adjustment the others mentioned?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No adjustments are necessary. This hood is designed by the Honda engineers like this. It's made of aluminum and it's very light weight which serves two purposes. One is fuel efficiency and the other is related to crash safety. I have about 8,000 miles on my Insight EX and yes I notice it a little, but understand that it's fine as is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my hood rattles too.

did you ever attempt that adjustment the others mentioned?
No. I put it in my notes to mention it and ask about it the next time I go to the dealer for service though. It's not really rattling (as in making a bunch of noise), it's just vibrating like it's loose when I'm on the freeway... is yours making a rattling noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. I put it in my notes to mention it and ask about it the next time I go to the dealer for service though. It's not really rattling (as in making a bunch of noise), it's just vibrating like it's loose when I'm on the freeway... is yours making a rattling noise?
Mine is not making a rattling noise at all. If you hear a rattling noise, I would take it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
If there is a resonance, it is possible I suppose that it could be dampened out with a big hunk of spongy rubber glued in the right place. If enough folks complain to dealers, Honda might fix the issue. It would be interesting to know if ALL the G3 do it?

Does it occur at a specific RPM?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've just had my insight for a couple weeks but on my first major highway drive, I noticed this, too!

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Somebody please post a pic of the open hood showing construction/bracing, for evaluation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts