Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Hondas have those GPS screens and I'm tired of hearing how the Prius has keyless ignition with Perimiter detection locks. At least I get better mileage and my car looks cooler!

Dan

·
Registered
652 Posts
Dan,
I hope Honda follows the lead of offering a long list of optional items. I think Toyota is making a nice profit off the fully loaded Prius. It would seam that US drivers are more willing to buy a small car if it has a lot of creature comforts. The navigation on the prius also does a lot of other things such as keep track of maintenance, trip info (Still no LMPG), callendar, phone book etc. Also don't forget the bluetooth link. The Prius could also get a few ideas from the insight such as the FCD, LMPG, LRR Tires and a aluminum boday, not to mention styling. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
My technology wish list for the Insight 2 (in no particular order): :D

Head Up Display (HUD) - so that we can see the road AND the instantaneous MPG
LED Lights all round
7 speed gear box - apparently the physical optimum for vehicles; would allow for even more efficient high speed cruising
20kW IMA Assist (double existing) - with Lithium batteries?
Sat Nav / TV - as an option
As a nod to MIMA, a IMA switch that has three positions - Higher Assist, Higher Charging and Normal
6 Airbags

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like my cars simple. Simple and functional. Give me a car free of bells&whistle but is still well designed and well built.

Most of that junk you want will just add weight (which will hurt MPG) and reduce MTBF.

I like the insight equiped as is. Maybe loose the the power windows, the thermostat in the climate control and the rear wiper.

But that's just me....

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Agree with your sentiments Flunkysama, I had previously suggested in a different topic that Honda could make two versions of the Insight - the Extreme and the Comfort versions.

Of course the Extreme would be aimed at the hypermilers out there, with the lowest possible kerb weight - i.e. no rear wiper, no power steering etc etc :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm all for extra goodies. Side impact air bags would deffinitely be nice to have (heck it might get a 5 star rating with those) as well as other creature features. I wouldn't mind a factory leather option (06 Prius is going to have a dealer leather option I think), plus the keyless entry and start would be cool. Other things to increase efficiency would be nice too like LED's and HID's. And a decent stereo option would be great as well.

All things considered though I can't complain too much. I realize to offer so many options on a limited production car would make the price for them go way up. I've added half of the above mentioned features to my car anyways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For me, the rear wiper is a huge plus; but otherwise I'm totally with flunkysama. I'd like manual windows (I mean, the car is tiny-- it's not hard to reach across and roll down the passenger window...).

What I'd really like is manual steering. I got to try it out on a Ford Aspire for a bit, and it made me feel like I was picking up arm strength with no real downside. And the car would be lighter.

I dislike the thermostat climate control and I'd love to see it gone.

I would really like a decent sound system. And I'd like infinitely variable front and rear wipers, though I don't know if such a thing exists.

And I'd like decent cupholders--somewhere you could actually fit a cup, and easily reach! :) My '83 Volvo had a tiny tray above the radio that was great for pens... That'd be nice. If they put the cupholders in, say, the doors, and the radio down lower, there would be a good space for stuff.

But yeah, I prefer simple changes, and less weight.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm on the "keep it simple" side. Most of the suggestions seem like totally useless technology. For instance, why should a car have a phone book? So people can cause more accidents looking up numbers they want to call on their cell phones?

There are useful things that could be done with technology, but nobody seems to think of those. For instance, replacing rear-view mirrors with LCD screens. It would cut drag, and with a bit of image processing, get rid of the glaring SUV headlighs in the mirror. And as long as you're doing that, why not add another looking ahead with night vision, etc?

·
Registered
652 Posts
James,

With the integrated phone book and Bluetooth technology you can make a call hands free. Simply push the button on the stering wheel for voice command, and the call will be made from the number stored in the phone book. Neither hand has to leave the steering wheel so it is much safer than someone trying to make a call using a phone. Now you could argue that you can't talk and drive at the same time and perhaps that is a challenge for some but no more so than if they were talking to a passenger and we arn't making cars single seat yet. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rick Reece said:
Now you could argue that you can't talk and drive at the same time and perhaps that is a challenge for some but no more so than if they were talking to a passenger and we arn't making cars single seat yet.
Not necessarily. When a passenger sees that you are trying to merge, or whatever, the conversation naturally pauses, whereas someone on a cell phone far away keeps yacking. I think I've seen a study that confirms that intuition, but I can't locate the reference.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Which was my point :) Glad the scientific study confirms it. There's no excuse (ok, maybe very rare emergencies like reporting an accident) for talking on a cell phone while driving.

As for the comparison to talking to passengers: well, I don't do a whole lot of that either. Even when I have one who insists on holding a conversation, I tend to sort of background it out. I may listen, as I'd listen to news on the radio, but I won't be saying much, and nothing that requires any great thought.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with the simplistic approach. I tend to keep cars well past their warranty and thus, I prefer fewer things that can break. Ditch the rear wiper, give me manual windows, and maybe a tire repair kit to save a few pounds versus carrying a spare. I could do without the power assist steering but here in Texas air conditioning is a must. I do think the heads up display would be a great a safer idea and assuming many of these cars are used for extensive drives a GPS would be a great option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hybrid features I'd like to see in a 'fantasy' Insight:

1) Put in a 2nd gen IMA engine similar to the proposed '06 civic engine, but give it lean burn mode as well.
2) heads-up display of speed, rpms, and instant mpgs (keep this as simple as possible)
3) Always-live 12v power outlet that stays on when the ignition is off, and perhaps a 110v power outlet as well (for all the electronic gadgets I like to keep charging)
4) Electric cruise control mode-- would lock in a throttle position, and use the battery pack (regen/assist) to maintain speed. It might need a bit more "trickle charging" to pull this off, but if it didn't have to vary the throttle or exit lean burn, this
5) I'd love to be given a choice between more or less aggressive assist/regen modes. More aggressive would be nice for short climbs, less aggressive for long climbs. These IMA controls should be right on the steering wheel.
6) Smart AC management that would run the compressor using battery power, or the belt (when coasting). From the looks of it the '06 Civic will have something like this already.
7) push-button engine start (this would make killing the engine much easier for the truly obsessed hypermilers...)

A skilled driver with the new 2nd gen IMA system and the above features could probably average phenomenal MPGs with such a car.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Some of your wishes can be achieved using Mima to control the electric motor. Yup, I plan to put the controls on the steering wheel.

I'd like to see an Insight with that new Civic IMA engine system too, then slap a turbo on it!!!!!!! But for my personal car I'd like better gas mileage and forget the extra power. :D

I'm hoping to put a GPS system in my present Insight along with an inverter for tools etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Temp Guages

I'd just be interested in knowing the temperature back there in the battery compartment: Like the outside temp guage on many autos these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The most important features for me are:

Pluginability (but maybe don't advirtise it)
The 06 technology (transmission, vtec-3),
Direct (cylinder) fuel injection (Think super lean burn),
and Li+ Batteries.

A better CD never hurt anyone either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts