Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is my first post, I've been around the site a bunch but wasn't a member yet. I have a 2010 Insight and i just installed SickSpeed horns in my car. I used a relay and connected it as follows:
Relay:
86 - To horn button
87 - To one terminal on each horn
85 - To ground
30 - To battery positive
other terminal of horns to ground.

The horn hasn't failed by pressing the button. Alarm sounds normal.
BUT when i press the lock button on the remote, sometimes the horn doesn't chirp and the lights don't flash, sometimes it does.
all fuses are fine. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
When you lock the remote, you send a quick signal that momentarily grounds the REAL horn relay. It is not made to close that relay plus the relay that you installed.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!

If a door isn't closed tight it will lock r unlock but no flash. I find I have to lock twice to get horn to honk.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you lock the remote, you send a quick signal that momentarily grounds the REAL horn relay. It is not made to close that relay plus the relay that you installed.
So what can I do to fix it? It sometimes chirps and sometimes wont. Should i take out the original horn relay? or short it with a fuse?

The car still locks, it just occasionally doesn't flash the lights or chirp the horn when it locks (even if i press the lock button a bunch of times)

It's not a huge deal. but it does bug me slightly

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I think ur horn setup just draws too much from the motorcycle battery the car comes with. I'd unplug a horn n see how it does.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I suggest you just leave it alone or go back to stock and do some research. You have either blown by my electrical background or over engineered it beyond your limits.

Going back to the basics of when, where, and why relays are used, the size of wires, fuses to protect wires, etc., I'm not sure what you installed, where you put it, and why.

I looked at the schematic for the horn circuit and imagined current draws and wire sizes at parts along the circuit. I then imagined where where you did what you did even though I'm not exactly sure. Going through the circuit again kinda seems to confirm your symptoms.

Perhaps you could get a schematic and redraw your modifications with wire gauge, current draw, and circuit protection in mind and see what you come up with.

If you leave it as is, I don't see it getting any worse. There are some threads on a single horn conversion using a horn from another horn (Accord?). That might be an option if you want your beep back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The accord horn is actually 2 horns that are different tones. they sound crappy singled out, but together is what makes them sound good.

The setup seems to be working fine. Haven't had an issue with the chirp again yet. So all seems good now.

I used 16 Ga Wire for the installation All grounds were made to the frame of the car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts