Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Garrett and I'm addicted to Insights.

OK, seriously... I'm a used car dealer in Atlanta. I've always wanted to own an Insight, so I finally bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'm definitely hooked and somebody is going to have to pay through the nose to get me out of it. :) A lot of cars that come from auctions have batteries that are run down from lots of starting, dome lights left on, etc., so it's routine for me to disconnect the battery and slow charge it even when it seems to be in good condition. The IMA charge (lack of) alarmed me at first, but it came back after a couple of miles (which I now realize is normal). The instant FCD bar was there when viewing the odometer, and I read the manual on how to turn that off. But I'm stuck on the other change. Before, the horn only beeped if I hit the lock button twice, not if I only hit the lock button once and not when I unlocked the car. Now it beeps anytime I lock or unlock the car with the remote, which is unacceptable in my quiet suburban neighborhood. How can I turn off the horn beeping?

Also, I have a little thing (I have no idea what to call it) at the bottom of the dash over my left leg. It is black plastic and looks like it has a phono plug jack and a red LED, which blinks when I lock the car with the remote. I haven't noticed this item in pictures of other people's cars. Is this factory, dealer-installed, or aftermarket? It obviously has something to do with the security system, but what is it? I can provide a pic if needed.

silver 2000 5 speed with AC

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
remote chirp

Hi Garrett - welcome! The little black thing is (or was) the valet switch (in all probability) or else a program switch. Some of these switches are a button you push, and some are toggle. If it looks more like a phono jack, it could be a switch with the button or toggle broken off.

Sounds like you have an aftermarket system (same as mine). I've always gotten one chirp on lock, two on unlock. The setup on my car uses the siren for the chirp - it seems quite loud at 2 or 3 AM. Depending on the system, there is usually some way to turn the chirp on or off.

There was no documentation with mine - never have figured out how the valet/program switch works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm. There's a half inch wide, black ribbon cable going from that thing that disappears under the dash. I may have to see if I can find where that thing ties into the horn. Or maybe find a box with a brand name on it and figure out how to disable that feature. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It must be an aftermarket deal. My OEM FOB doesn't make the car honk when locking and unlocking my 2001 CVT Insight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have three sets of keys -- two in black and one in grey. One of the black ones is always quiet when locking and unlocking the doors -- I don't know about hitting the lock button twice, but it probably will beep when I do that, like my other Honda does.

The other black key *always* beeps -- once when unlocking and twice when locking, or maybe vice-versa... the valet key sets off the alarm.

I don't have any after-market security system, and I have had the keys reprogrammed twice at a dealership. Needless to say, it's pretty annoying to only have one set of quiet keys, and no valet key.

Just thought I'd share... it seemed to be "on topic"... :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Flymuck I know the standard Honda set up makes it honk if you press lock twice. Sounds like there may be something wrong with your dongles with the behavior you are having, something reprogging might not be able to fix (at least w/ the behavior of the valet key), you might see if there are any switches on the factory controller unit?

Garett There is most likely a tiny little toggle switch on the side of the aftermarket alarm controller. The Toyota factory alarm controller in my 4runner has a toggle switch to turn on/off the "horn defeat" which I guess is what the horn setting is called.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats kinda what I was thinking as well, no idea how to reprog that tho, I've heard that the factory progging set it pretty limited so it might be some kind of weird combo of press "lock-unlock-lock-lock-panic" or something (just an example). I know other manufacturers have used similar backdoor progging tricks like that in the past.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found the answer:

Press and hold the Option and Lock buttons on your remote at the same time. After holding them for 1 second you should see the indicator flash on the remote. Then let go.

This toggles the horn beeping feature on and off.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Not in Australia it doesn't.....maybe if I hold the remote upside down?

·
Registered
240 Posts
ghillie said:
Not in Australia it doesn't.....maybe if I hold the remote upside down?
LOL -- that made me smile. Not an easy thing today -- I just jackknifed a trailer into the bumper of my new truck, leaving two dents and one significant hole. :(

bpapa -- you said "you might see if there are any switches on the factory controller unit?" -- I don't know what that means. I'm going to play with the other idea someone posted about turning on and off the beep option, to see if that fixes the other black key. The valet key is probably permanently unusable. Thanks for the ideas!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
gbrasure said:
I found the answer:

Press and hold the Option and Lock buttons on your remote at the same time. After holding them for 1 second you should see the indicator flash on the remote. Then let go.

This toggles the horn beeping feature on and off.
BTW, this worked for me -- thanks so much! I finally tried it yesterday and now my second remote doesn't beep at me. I'll see if the dealership can reprogram the valet key *again*, but I don't hold out much hope for it... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts